Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
F
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
F
OK money guys, hookers and blow aren't on my radar, are there bargains to be had in the market? I don't totally trust my broker's opinion, although young and smart and a hard worker, there is nothing like this climate in his experience. I have been in the market since the early 70's, rode 'er up, rode 'er down, but this one seems a little different, it's global in scope. Opinions?

Well this is a fine pickle we're in, should'a listened to Joe McCarthy and George Orwell I guess.
GB1

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
vanguard s&p 500 etf

My diploma is a DD214
W
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
W
Pay down debt.

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
I think Boeing is a deal. It is not going anywhere.

Exxon Mobil

Both will take a little while to come back, XOM maybe even longer.

I have not bought anything, hanging on to cash, may need it for my business.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Unless you have a technical trading plan, I wouldn't throw 15k in the market at this juncture. You're going to be able to buy much better stuff with in when folks have to start having fire sales to keep the doublewide..

Cowardice is the greatest pandemic that has ever affected mankind.
IC B2

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
I'd wait until June at a minimum. this schit isn't getting any better.

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
However If I had to invest in anything right now I'd simply buy the most well positioned companies.

Buying airlines or cruise lines etc... right now is not an investment it is a gamble.

Buy bluechips at bargain prices. Microsoft, Google, Apple, 3M, disney, etc...

Campfire Outfitter
Online Happy
Campfire Outfitter
iwm below 90.

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by wabigoon
Pay down debt.

yep

I made some money last week on some short time stuff and by end of week volume and swings were crazy. Holding on to some like Boeing, Merck, OXY, Abbot. Sure they will eventually go down in short term from where I bought them. OXY will take a long time I know and I think Boeing will drop down to 130's( maybe lower) and will pick up more I think, probably wrong. There's going to be more big corrections and a lot of volatility. The crowd mentality of jumping into a short term rising market is hard to resist. Panicking and selling stocks at a loss is obviously the biggest mistake and really have to fight emotions especially with the hysterical constant gloom and doom from biased media.

Going to slowly pick up on corrections and resist emotions and panic......I hope lol

Last edited by ribka; 03/28/20.
D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
[quote=flintlocke] OK money guys, hookers and blow aren't on my radar, are there bargains to be had in the market? I don't totally trust my broker's opinion.......

No offense to you guys, but I trust my broker far more than the opinions of this board.
If I didn’t totally trust him, he’d be gone. He’s not been perfect, but he’s been very good for the past 25 years.

NRA Patron
IC B3

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by dale06
[quote=flintlocke] OK money guys, hookers and blow aren't on my radar, are there bargains to be had in the market? I don't totally trust my broker's opinion.......

No offense to you guys, but I trust my broker far more than the opinions of this board.
If I didn’t totally trust him, he’d be gone. He’s not been perfect, but he’s been very good for the past 25 years.

No offense taken. I used 2 supposedly good brokers and lost money in decent and difficult times. wanted to reallocate my funds in summer of 2008. My adviser said don't panic and talked me into just riding it out and eventually did ok but lost a lot of potential gains. If I could find a good one would definitely use one. My BIL manages huge corporate portfolios and I occasionally reach out to him.

Last edited by ribka; 03/28/20.
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by heavywalker
I'd wait until June at a minimum. this schit isn't getting any better.

Originally Posted by heavywalker
However If I had to invest in anything right now I'd simply buy the most well positioned companies.

Buying airlines or cruise lines etc... right now is not an investment it is a gamble.

Buy bluechips at bargain prices. Microsoft, Google, Apple, 3M, disney, etc...

I’m in this camp. Agree with everything you said. Also watching zoom as this continued shutdown will expand it’s market penetration and acceptance tremendously.

B
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
B
I do and I did. Any of the good dividend paying oil companies.
If You think You're going to paying less than 2.00 a gallon for gasoline for very long, I've got a great bridge in the Sahara I'll sell You cheap.

Last edited by boatammo; 03/28/20.

MOLON LABE
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Originally Posted by Mike70560
I think Boeing is a deal. It is not going anywhere.

It was really good at 89

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
How do you invest in stocks?

Other than 401k through work, how do you do it?

The deer hunter does not notice the mountains

"I fear all we have done is to awaken a sleeping giant and fill him with a terrible resolve" - Isoroku Yamamoto

There sure are a lot of America haters that want to live here...

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Index funds
Originally Posted by rem141r
vanguard s&p 500 etf

Respectfully, Index funds are not the smart(est) play right now. There are sectors getting annihilated right now that are easy enough to avoid. Index funds expose you to hotels, cruise lines, restaurants, airlines..... DOGS that are tanking. Any upside from the companies weathering the current storm will just be offset by the companies getting hammered. Why purposefully expose yourself to that?

When the economy is fine and no one sector is getting destroyed, I am 100% on board with index funds. But this is a unique situation.

To the OP: When this all plays out, and the reset button has been hit, and we start to crawl and claw and climb ourselves out of this, go index funds.

Until then, you really need to focus on the sectors that aren't on life support and can make it through this.

The DIPCHIT ADD, after a morning of drinking:

You despair, repeatedly, constantly! daily basis?
A despair ninny.
Sack up, despire ninny.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
If I had 15K to put in the market right now I would split it equally between EPR and RLJ-A.

EPR is a REIT yielding 18% (4.59 per year) and should recover to around $80 in the next two years.

RLJ-A is a non-callable preferred share (REIT) that yields 10.41% (1.95 per year) and will recover to $25 within a year.

"All that the South has ever desired was that the Union, as established by our forefathers, should be preserved, and that the government, as originally organized, should be administered in purity and truth." – Robert E. Lee
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Rooster7
How do you invest in stocks?

Other than 401k through work, how do you do it?

Open a ROTH IRA and/or a Brokerage account at Fidelity, or the brokerage firm with whom you have your 401K. Easy Peasy.

"All that the South has ever desired was that the Union, as established by our forefathers, should be preserved, and that the government, as originally organized, should be administered in purity and truth." – Robert E. Lee
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Several online trading platforms available.
Many of them free.
https://www.nerdwallet.com/best/investing/online-brokers-platforms-for-day-trading

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by OrangeOkie
If I had 15K to put in the market right now I would split it equally between EPR and RLJ-A.

EPR is a REIT yielding 18% (4.59 per year) and should recover to around $80 in the next two years.

RLJ-A is a non-callable preferred share (REIT) that yields 10.41% (1.95 per year) and will recover to $25 within a year.

I think you are one of the better, of not best, investors offering advice on this forum.

But can you explain your affinity for REITs? I have some family in real estate and they are getting killed. Hotels will be going BK. Housing starts are stalling. Honestly, hotels and commercial RE are two sectors I am avoiding right now. I don't think they've found a bottom and will still take some big losses. What am I missing?

I am better at oil. Please educate us! I am all ears!

Thanks Okie

The DIPCHIT ADD, after a morning of drinking:

You despair, repeatedly, constantly! daily basis?
A despair ninny.
Sack up, despire ninny.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

582 members (160user, 10Glocks, 12344mag, 1936M71, 10gaugemag, 163bc, 65 invisible), 2,508 guests, and 1,226 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,806
Posts18,477,524
Members73,944
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.