Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
I have a Redding, Lyman and the Lee Perfect Powder Measure, and ALL I use now is the Lee. It is by far the most accurate powder throw of the 3. I don’t even know where my Redding throw is any more.
Like some have said, the flake and ball powders are a bit of a problem from time to time ‘but they were also a problem in my Redding and the Lyman as well, especially flake powders like Unique.
I recently loaded several hundred rounds of stick powder and the Lee was never off more than 1/10th of a grain. Hell, I’ve found my 2 balance beam scales AND my digital electronic scale to vary more than that from day to day. Especially the electronic scale. I’ve had it vary as much as 4/10ths in 30 minutes with barometric pressure change.
But I guess some people just don’t feel right unless they spend a fortune on something.
I mean, if you don’t pay a lot of money for something, it couldn’t possibly be good, right?

GB1

Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
I have a new RCBS chargemaster new in the box. I haven’t tried it yet. How will it work with stick powders?

Last edited by hanco; 04/13/20.
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by hanco
I have a new RCBS chargemaster new in the box. I haven’t tried it yet. How will it work with stick powders?

I have been contemplating buying one of these for quite some time. Once you get to use it please report your thoughts. Thanks

L
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
L
I love the Lee perfect powder measure for stick powder, but it sucks for ball powder. I recently bought the Lee Deluxe Perfect Powder Measure and it is much better than the original on both stick and ball.

A
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Originally Posted by ShortMag11

I have been contemplating buying one of these for quite some time. Once you get to use it please report your thoughts. Thanks

I have one works great. Holds zero really well.

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

You cannot over estimate the unimportance of nearly everything. John Maxwell
IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I’m using the RCBS Chargemaster Lite exclusively now for extruded powders. And yes, the Lee was better than my Harrell for extruded powder, by a long shot.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Can the lee deluxe perfect powder measure handle be switched to the left hand side?

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I use My Redding 3BR for ball powders and RCBS Chargemaster lite for stick powders. I've had RCBS and have still have a Lee Powder throw somewhere, but the Redding and Chargemaster lite has proven to be the most accurate for me.

Start young, hunt hard, and enjoy God's bounty.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I usually use my RCBS Chargemaster for longer stick powders. My Lee Perfect powder measure works better for throwing stick powders than my Harrell's measure. The Harrell's tends to cut stick powder or jam a bit while the Lee with the rubber wiper doesn't. You have to watch either one closely for powder bridging. All in all while it's slower to weigh the powder than throw it, I have more confidence in the weighed charges.
For high volume reloading I stick with ball or short stick powders and throw the charges.
I would replace my RCBS Chargemaster immediately if it went down, there's no way I would ever go back to a balance scale or hand trickling.

Let's Go Brandon! FJB
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
I'll say it again: People tend to obsess over small variations in powder charges in many situations where they don't matter.

IC B3

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
I’m in the “dump & trickle” camp. And NO, I’m not referring to my “morning constitutional” here.💩
I’ve had a RCBS Uniflow for years and it has served me well. It does occasionally hang up and sheer with large stick powders however I don’t lose any sleep over it. I don’t rush with anything related to handloading.

Last edited by Bobber257; 04/14/20.

What man, on his death bed, ever lamented, "God, I wish I had spent more time at the office."
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by antelope_sniper
Originally Posted by ShortMag11

I have one works great. Holds zero really well.

After some research I’m leaning towards the chargemaster lite. Seems like the same function and time for significantly less cost.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Originally Posted by mathman
I'll say it again: People tend to obsess over small variations in powder charges in many situations where they don't matter.

If you are at the optimum charge weight for a load, +/- 0.2 gr won't mean doodlysquat.

Admittedly, I still throw short and trickle up . . .

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
I throw charges of 3031 and 4064 for several 308s good for 1/2 to 5/8 moa at 300 yards. I'm talking five shot groups. Most peoples' hunting rifles can't honestly resolve that.

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
Originally Posted by MuskegMan

If you are at the optimum charge weight for a load, +/- 0.2 gr won't mean doodlysquat.

Admittedly, I still throw short and trickle up . . .

Agreed. Wholeheartedly.

What man, on his death bed, ever lamented, "God, I wish I had spent more time at the office."
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
I throw charges of 3031 and 4064 for several 308s good for 1/2 to 5/8 moa at 300 yards. I'm talking five shot groups. Most peoples' hunting rifles can't honestly resolve that.

Im glad you said most..

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter

Im glad you said most..

There are some out there. Yesterday I was shooting a parts gun 243 that impresses me with 87 grain Vmaxes. It's a 700 action with a takeoff barrel from a gunsmith shop, all sitting in an HS Precision stock and topped off with an old M8 6x36.

The only problem is balancing the fun of shooting it against the barrel life of a 243.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I use my Hornady Lock N Load Auto Charge dispenser. While it does like to throw heavy on stick powders, I set it lower and trickle up if needed. Now that I've gotten use to it, it actually throws pretty accurately 70% of the time. I have tried the straw tip, but I can't find a straw to fit the dispensing tube correctly.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Hudge
I use my Hornady Lock N Load Auto Charge dispenser. While it does like to throw heavy on stick powders, I set it lower and trickle up if needed. Now that I've gotten use to it, it actually throws pretty accurately 70% of the time. I have tried the straw tip, but I can't find a straw to fit the dispensing tube correctly.

What I have found is,if you shim the dispenser with a sheet or two of paper it keeps it from throwing overcharges.To work properly,it needs to be level,if not it will drop too much powder if the tube is running down hill.By keeping the tube just a tad on the uphill side,the tube will stay full when it slows down to the final trickle mode when it dispenses the charge.Play with it a little and I think you will see it really makes a big difference.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
As Bob Hagel would say"You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong."Good words of wisdom...............
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
If you think H-4350 is bad, try Vv 570.

That is such a coarse stick, it stacks up in my RCBS Uniflow. I have to remove the drop tube, drop charge in a scale pan and fine tune the load.

DF

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

604 members (160user, 22250rem, 1minute, 1936M71, 007FJ, 10Glocks, 67 invisible), 2,543 guests, and 1,234 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,480
Posts18,490,058
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.