Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
T
TWR Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
T
Since Waders asked for everyone to post a new thread, here goes.

I have used several different sights over the years and I've found that no two people see things exactly the same. I've been shooting some local pistol matches for the last 3 years and have gone from regular night sights to Trijicon HD's and HD XR's to Dawson fiber optics and a mix of Dawson and HD XR's. What I've learned is I see orange better than yellow or green. So I bought a new G19 gen 5 a couple weeks ago and finally ordered another set of Trijicon HD XR's after shooting Ameriglo's and a few other brands.

The Trijicon HD's were great on anything under 10 yards but shooting plates at 25-50 yards was nearly impossible with the front sight covering the entire plate at distance. In the dark they have no equal as the big bright green dots do stand out. i have no trouble figuring out which dot is the front sight.

Moving to HD XR's with their thinner front sight (.122 vs .144) with the same rear sight with an opening of .169 was odd at first and I just couldn't get used to that much light on the sides of the front post and falsely blamed poor accuracy to that. So I put a Dawson rear on a couple of M&P 9mm pistols I had, along with an Apex barrel and accuracy was great. But I still had an M&P 45 with HD XR's so I pulled it out and shot it again to see which direction I wanted to go for the G19. I was thrilled to see I had no accuracy issues up close or at further ranges, hitting a 10" plate at 55 yards was very easy.

So after installing the HD XR's I decided to take some pics of them.
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Usually people say you need a light source and tritium is of no use anyway and I agree you need a light but sometimes sitting in the dark while an intruder is moving through the house with a few lights on tritium is still useful.
And in pitch black they can help you locate your pistol.

One thing I would like to say about the pics is the smaller front vial on the XR's looks tiny but it's because the camera was held right at the rear sight, it's still very easy to see even though the picture doesn't look like it. I shot it today and am very pleased with the whole gun.

GB1

Campfire Kahuna
Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
The other day I broke the rear sight on my old Gen 2 Glock19. Yesterday, a new set of TruGlo tritium sights came in the mail. Will install them today.
I am on my second set of Trijicons on my Colt Commander and my S&W 25-5

Last edited by Mannlicher; 03/30/20.

Sam......

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
very nice write up. I had the HD's on a G43 and they were OK, like you mentioned they were big and useful at close range.

off topic you seem to like the gen 5 glock 19, is this in comparison to the other glock generations?

T
TWR Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
T
I have had a few Glocks in the past but never really warmed up to them and preferred the M&P line, especially the 2.0 versions. But I watched a buddy of mine shoot Glocks for the same 3 years now and I know they are good pistols too. I saw the new Gen 5's come out and for some reason just decided to try one and wound up buying 5 in the last 6 months. I kept a 17 MOS, a 19 and a 44. Not that they are any better than the older versions, I just like no finger grooves, forward slide serrations and the flared mag well along with the angled front end.

They all work.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I have a set of TFO's on my Glock. Like them generally and in less than ideal light situations, they work.

Me

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Combat lights are real small now. "Night sights" are a waste of money.

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
I was the armorer and firearms instructor for a municipal department for many years. They allow for precision shooting in the dark. But under real life shooting situations, you will not use them. I ran a drill where a piece of tape was put over both front and rear sights to shoot at 15 yards and under, it comes down to instinctive point and shoot.

T
TWR Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
T
Slavek, I spent $20 more for these than a set of Dawson's cost me. Money well spent. In fact they were cheaper than my Streamlight TLR HL's.

WStrayer, wow, just wow...

Last edited by TWR; 03/30/20. Reason: k
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
The only thing I do to my Glocks, is install after market night sights

Last edited by TBREW401; 03/30/20.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by WStrayer
They allow for precision shooting in the dark. But under real life shooting situations, you will not use them.

That's where I am. I just don't see them well enough any more to benefit from them. I'm using means to assist my vision that actually work for me instead.

IC B3

R
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by Slavek
"Night sights" are a waste of money.

Very much so. I hate ‘em!

"I never thought I'd live to see the day that a U.S. president would raise an army to invade his own country."
Robert E. Lee
T
TWR Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
T
So as in this picture, say the tv stand the sights are on is a bad guy and you are in a dark hallway or another room that's dark, would you rather have this sight picture or not be able to see your sights at all and have to turn on a weapon light to silhouette them?
FWIW, I gave $99 for these Trijicon HD XR sights and mostly chose them for the orange luminescent paint that I see very well in the daylight. The tritium is just a bonus. Dawson's will run you $79 and without a light, you'll be shooting blind, I know cause I have them too. Leaving a light on in strategic places in your home is a good tip that was mentioned here a week or two ago. Playing with these and leaving a light on here and there really opened my eyes.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I prefer a fiber optic front and black rear. But if I have to use tritium (I do) I sharpie out the rear sight to dull how bright the back sights are.

Originally Posted by SBTCO
your flippant remarks which you so adeptly sling
G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Night sights are handy for finding the gun in the dark. I generally always have a handheld flashlight and my HD guns all have weapon lights. Those generally wash out the night sights anyway. A fiber optic front really pops with a handheld or WML activated, so that’s my preference.

D
dla Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
I dont find night sights all that usefull. Since I'm not in the Cop business, I don't worry about Cop business things. I've trained at night without night sights and did just fine.

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Originally Posted by TWR
So as in this picture, say the tv stand the sights are on is a bad guy and you are in a dark hallway or another room that's dark, would you rather have this sight picture or not be able to see your sights at all and have to turn on a weapon light to silhouette them?
FWIW, I gave $99 for these Trijicon HD XR sights and mostly chose them for the orange luminescent paint that I see very well in the daylight. The tritium is just a bonus. Dawson's will run you $79 and without a light, you'll be shooting blind, I know cause I have them too. Leaving a light on in strategic places in your home is a good tip that was mentioned here a week or two ago. Playing with these and leaving a light on here and there really opened my eyes.

Damn right TWR, perfect, randomly dim lit house with sights you can see in total blackness, that said, it most likely wont ever happen here, with cams/sensors/alarms and near 600 lbs of Rottweilers that don't bark, i'll most likely be awakened by beeping sounds and some poor sombitch getting devoured in the yard, guess grab the REPR and call amberlamps and POPO!

Trump Won!
R
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
R
Rather have a light on my gun or in my off hand.

"I never thought I'd live to see the day that a U.S. president would raise an army to invade his own country."
Robert E. Lee
U
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
U
I have mostly Glocks so I put Trijicons on them. Two reasons--I can get them cheap since I know someone who works there and the plastic sights are the one thing I always change on my Glocks.

T
TWR Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
T
When I have had the opportunity to seek out a bad guy I had my M&P45 with TLR1 HL weapon light on it and a ProTac 2 handheld light to search with. Oh and the M&P45 wears Trijicon HD XR's as well. I might need me a Rottie one day, I've only been around 4 of them. 2 of them were the funnest dogs around, the other 2 were mean SOB's!

Those plastic sights ain't that bad really. I paint the white dot orange and can shoot em just fine but they don't inspire much confidence.

Y
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Y
Originally Posted by Reloder28
Rather have a light on my gun or in my off hand.

It must suck to be so poor you have to choose between a light or night sights...

grin

Last edited by Yondering; 04/02/20.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

556 members (1badf350, 1Longbow, 10gaugemag, 1936M71, 1beaver_shooter, 01Foreman400, 65 invisible), 2,603 guests, and 1,356 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,454
Posts18,471,089
Members73,934
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.