Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by SAcharlie
[quote=700LH]...

One cool thing though they drop nonessential words. Such as...she went to hospital as opposed to "the hospital".

Rather than being cool, that one drives me to near rage - especially when people here do it - "Doctor will see you now."

Not sure where to place the blame for this one, but the absolute, f'ing stupidest-sounding example of this is the toothless, drooling, "graduated high school" in place of the correct "graduated from high school". I can only surmise that said high school must not have had much in the way of English requirements for graduation.

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by slumlord
Beowulf was a little strange in high school, that and Canterbury tales. But I made it through

I still get haberdashers and carpetbaggers mixed up.

That damn Finklestien shît kid

Just one of those Thanes I reckon....

FJB & FJT
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I could facetiously say that I understood English back as far as about 1948. Being an English Lit major, I spent a lot of time deciphering Chaucerian and Shakesperean texts.

Some "Britglish" is indeed lacking in articles, but we're not immune to dropped words. Witness the common use here of things like "needs strangled" (which sets my teeth on edge). Not to mention the grammatically horrible but almost universal "Me and him did something."

Poor grammar, spelling, and punctuation is now not only common but seemingly encouraged - hence the howls of Grammar Cop when anyone attempts to point out an error.

Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

W
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
W
Dizzy Dean, 'People know what I mean when I say Ain't."

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by RockyRaab
I could facetiously say that I understood English back as far as about 1948. Being an English Lit major, I spent a lot of time deciphering Chaucerian and Shakesperean texts.

Some "Britglish" is indeed lacking in articles, but we're not immune to dropped words. Witness the common use here of things like "needs strangled" (which sets my teeth on edge). Not to mention the grammatically horrible but almost universal "Me and him did something."

Poor grammar, spelling, and punctuation is now not only common but seemingly encouraged - hence the howls of Grammar Cop when anyone attempts to point out an error.

Some people seem to take great pride in ignorance.

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
Take a crack at the Wycliff Bible. It was the 1st English language Bible. It was illegal to have a Bible other than the official Latin version and Wycliffe was burned at the stake for his efforts. The Catholic church didn't play nice if you didn't follow their rules.
Actually, it wasn't the first English translation. And it was a horrible one at that. Lots of Wycliff's heretical agenda buried in it. Another thing to keep in mind is that the Bible is a Catholic book - written, translated and compiled by the Church.

If you wrote a book, would you want someone to re-write it to include things that were personal insults directed at you?

Politics is War by Other Means
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
I think I'm dumb...

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Bristoe
I've spent a lot of vacation time on the outer banks of North Carolina. Back when I first started going out there in the 70's it still was mostly populated by the "legacy" families,...especially the southern part. You can still find people out there who speak like the old timers. But people my age or a bit younger are probably the last generation of it.

My family traces back to Portsmouth Island - my maternal grandmother was the schoolteacher there for several years. My mom and all her siblings still have that outer banks twang.

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by Triggernosis
I've spent a lot of vacation time on the outer banks of North Carolina. Back when I first started going out there in the 70's it still was mostly populated by the "legacy" families,...especially the southern part. You can still find people out there who speak like the old timers. But people my age or a bit younger are probably the last generation of it.

My family traces back to Portsmouth Island - my maternal grandmother was the schoolteacher there for several years. My mom and all her siblings still have that outer banks twang.

Moms maternal side is from NE North Carolina some fought at Bacons Rebellion so they've been there a while, mix that southeastern Virginia/northeastern North Carolina twang with Appalachian twang and see if you don't get some funny looks when traveling around the country.

FJB & FJT
W
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
W
If friend kaywoody would get aboard, I'd joke about bein' in school back then, chips flyin' about from our stone tablets.

Fern salad, an' hard boiled dinosaur eggs pack in our mammoth skin lunch bags.

Remember then days Bob? laugh

IC B3

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Originally Posted by shaman
Okay! Time for the bonus round!

This is Frisian. It's about as close as you can get to the mother tongue of Old English. It's spoken by Frisians, the modern-day inhabitants of the place where the Jutes, Angles, and Saxons left to come to England.

To me, it feels like its right on the edge of understanding. I don't mean I can understand a word of it. It just means something triggers my brain into thinking there might be something there I can catch.

Because it has all the same rhythms as English. It’s English, just with different words. Someone from China would not be able to distinguish those people from two people speaking English. It would all sound the same because of the rhythm and the pauses and the word lengths are all the same as ours.

B
Bristoe Offline OP
Campfire Oracle
OP Offline
Campfire Oracle
B
Originally Posted by 5sdad

Many people speak the dialect of their region. I don't think it's a sign of ignorance to communicate in the way that one heard the language used all their life.

It's been said that people from Appalachian regions don't talk,...they sing. I enjoy listening to them talk. In fact, a lot of their inflection can be heard in the way that many people in central Kentucky talk.

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana

Many people speak the dialect of their region. I don't think it's a sign of ignorance to communicate in the way that one heard the language used all their life.

It's been said that people from Appalachian regions don't talk,...they sing. I enjoy listening to them talk. In fact, a lot of their inflection can be heard in the way that many people in central Kentucky talk.

My point was not about dialects, it was about the use of proper grammar. I, too, enjoy listening to many of the varieties of speech from different areas.

W
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
W
John, remember those Canadian gals? The way they talk? It must be heterosis.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I sure couldn't speak Scottish in 1974.

I was in uniform in front of the American Headquarters in West Berlin when a pretty red headed young woman approached and asked me, and I can only approximate the brogue here:

E-cu' m', cu' ya' te' muh' whe' th' soobwa' is?

I replied, "say again?"

She repeated it more slowly.

E cu' m', cu', ya', te' muh' wh' th' soob-wa' is?"

Finally dawned on me she was asking where the subway was, so I pointed to the Bahnhof station about a block down the street.

Gunnery, gunnery, gunnery.
Hit the target, all else is twaddle!
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
I remember sitting in the MacDonald's in Dryden, next to a group of men of mature age. At first, I thought that they were speaking a different language. When I sort of relaxed my hearing, I came to realize that it was English, but spoken in a very different tempo/syntax than I was used to hearing.

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R

My point was not about dialects, it was about the use of proper grammar. I, too, enjoy listening to many of the varieties of speech from different areas.

Many Appalachians were isolated from or cutoff from the rest of the country, 'proper grammar' weren't learned by many in the region for many generations.

FJB & FJT
B
Bristoe Offline OP
Campfire Oracle
OP Offline
Campfire Oracle
B
I've spent my life bouncing around in three different Kentucky dialect regions. I've more or less settled in on basic central kentuckian, but working with so many appalachians has touched my inflection and added to my vocabulary, also.

But I grew up in the Jackson Purchase area of far western Kentucky. So when I'm on the phone with somebody down there I fall right into the original way I learned to speak.

I don't notice it. But my wife tells me, "You talk different when you're on the phone with people from down there."

B
Bristoe Offline OP
Campfire Oracle
OP Offline
Campfire Oracle
B
People in western Kentucky say "y'all". People in eastern Kentucky say "youin'ziz".

I use both interchangeably,...depending on where am and who I'm talking to.

B
Bristoe Offline OP
Campfire Oracle
OP Offline
Campfire Oracle
B
Originally Posted by Raeford

Many Appalachians were isolated from or cutoff from the rest of the country, 'proper grammar' weren't learned by many in the region for many generations.

I wonder how long ago one would have to go to hear English spoken like a Scot in Appalachia.

My grandfather was second generation out of Cornwall. He didn't speak like a Cornishman, but he pronounced certain words differently.

The road was the "rud", for example.

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

288 members (204guy, 16penny, 219 Wasp, 17CalFan, 257robertsimp, 1_deuce, 38 invisible), 2,323 guests, and 1,221 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,240
Posts18,485,869
Members73,967
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.