Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Not likely. It would probably leave the road “at it’s earliest convenience”.....just like our Ram did during hunting season this year! grin memtb

You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong." -Bob Hagel

“I’d like to be a good rifleman…..but, I prefer to be a good hunter”! memtb 2024
GB1

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Sort of off topic - saw a car dog tracking so bad last fall, the front tires were a good 6 inches to the left of the rear. I've never seen a car move down the road with that much tweak.

I don't know how the rubber stayed on the rim.

Pretty rare occurrence you see any dog tracking anymore on passenger vehicles it seems.

Me

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by ironbender
Originally Posted by kroo88
Back in the late 80’s in the Black Hills, a buddy and I were heading home from some cliff jumping up by Mt Rushmore. We came up behind a 4-door sedan swerving back and forth violently. We slowed and followed as it looked like they may end up in the ditch any moment. The back window was kind of dirty so the view into the cab wasn’t the greatest. What we could see looked like a dog jumping on the driver.

We finally had room to get by, and the dog turned out to be a hottie teenage brunette riding the driver. He had slid so far down the seat he couldn’t see the road.

Never will forget the grin on that guy’s face.

Were you the guy that honked and waved?

You weren't a teenager in the '80s and no one would confuse you with being a hottie!
wink

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Will add a personal story... about failed tie rods!

I once had a nice 84 Toyota FJ60 with ~160K miles which was my daily driver at the time. It was aggressively maintained and I had made several trips between Kansas and Utah w/o incident. I also used as my regular hunting and fishing vehicle in Kansas for ~4 years. In the spring of 2000, I made a ~1200 mile round trip 4 day adventure from Kansas to Minnesota to get some custom work done on a Scamp trailer that I had at the time. No issues and mostly freeway driving. When I returned home, I backed the trailer into the driveway and ran in to see the wife and kids. An hour or so later, I jumped back into the 'cruiser to move the trailer to where we stored it and couldn't get the wheels to respond to the steering when trying to back it up further. I had no clue what was going on! Irritated after a minute of trying to figure out what I was missing, I stepped out and looked under the vehicle... there were both tie rod ends sitting down on the driveway... the threads on the rods/connectors had rusted out!!! So much for my aggressive maintenance! I don't remember how I jerry-rigged to pull it down to the mechanic but that was an ordeal (done late at night!) as well.

My Toyota guy was shocked. He replaced all the tie rod componets, etc. but despite my love for all things "Toyota Landcruiser" at the time, my FJ was sold the next week and I bought a brand new GMC. I loved that 'cruiser but no longer trusted Japanese steel on a 16 year old vehicle. If I were to ever get another one, I would just pony up the $$$ for a full restoration.

As side note, we all have episodes in our lives where it is hard to deny that perhaps we were maybe being looked over by some higher power, ect. This was a personal one for me.

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by hookeye
Death wobble. Loose or damaged suspension/ steering components.

Had it happen on a Jeep ZJ w 135k on it. New steering stabilizer and it was gone. Would shake violently at 35 mph.

Came on all of a sudden.

Buddys kid lifted an XJ and had it. At about 50 mph. Told him they didn't tighten things up enough. Didnt believe me. finally they went through it and cranked em, and it went away.

Its also fun when a track bar comes loose/ off, eapecially on curves w traffic.

What's a ZJ?

IC B2

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Suspension.......as in struts. My wife’s Aztec did that, years ago. Strut replacement fixed it. They are not much fun to change, either.

Originally Posted by Joel/AK
I'd also agree with a suspension issue. People let there crap go to long. Wheel bearings, tie rods or other front ed and parts wont cause rocking and crazy chassis roll.

"Those that think they know everything are annoying those of us that have Google." - Dr. D. Edward Wilkinson

Note to self: Never ask an old Fogey how he is doing today.
Revised note to self: Keep it short when someone asks how I am doing.

H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
ZJ is the 93-98 Grand Cherokee.

Solid front axle coil sprung control arm vehicles can get it.

XJ (Cherokee 83-2001)
WJ (Grand Cherokee 99-2004)
and TJ or newer Wranglers

H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
I had an old K5 Blazer that got a wicked wheel hop going down the highway.
Slowed down and it went away never to return.
Just got into phase after a bump.

Was a wicked hop, up and down.
Not the shake you outta your skull death wobble Jeepers experience.

Last edited by hookeye; 04/02/20.
P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
I put a hitch on a unibody 63 nova wagon against all good advice so I could tow a small boat. Coming down a hill I popped the brakes a little hard and one of the stabilizers pulled out of the mounting bracket. The steering wheel damn near broke my thumbs and the car did a 180 wrapping the trailer tongue around the rear bumper then slammed into the guardrail. Boat launched out onto the double yellow lines and stopped. Always check your bushings. Don't tow with a puny vehicle, either.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by GeoW
Originally Posted by Lucas1
Was it a jeep?

Death wobble..

Not Death Wobble, if you have ever experienced Death Wobble you won't make it seconds, and it isn't pretty. Not a broken tie rod either, I can tell you those don't go well.

IC B3

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Death wobble.

Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Wow, you guys sure nailed it with that Death Wobble. I'd sure never heard about that before. Not that I've ever owned a Jeep anything considering all the issues that my brother-in-law had with his Wagoneers; yes, more than one. I read Consumer Reports April auto issues every year and Jeeps get high marks for initial quality, but thumbs down for predicted reliability.

My other auto is a .45

The bitterness of poor quality is remembered long after the sweetness of low price has faded from memory
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

565 members (160user, 10gaugemag, 06hunter59, 1234, 10gaugeman, 01Foreman400, 51 invisible), 2,407 guests, and 1,235 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,520
Posts18,472,548
Members73,936
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.