Print Thread
Hop To
H
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
H
I've got a 1908 Mannlicher Shonauer coming in 8x56MS
I've got some brass and 170gr Hornady RN bullets that I want to load for it.
Anyone loaded for this round?
I'm particularly interested in data using IMR4350, Varget or H414 since I have quite a bit of those powders on the shelf.

GB1

M
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
M
I have loaded and still load for it but my notes are packed as we are getting ready to move. I know I was using faster powders than 4350 and 414. I honestly cannot remember which powder. All my ammo is packed as well as my notes. I haven't tried the 170 grain bullets in mine. Just 200 grain Speers and some 196 grain Woodleighs.

I loaned it to a young lady last year to take her first moose. She killed a nice cow moose with some 75 year old 200 grain factory Western Lubaloy ammunition. It did just fine.

I'd look at mid range burn rate powders from 3031 to 4320.

Brass can be formed from 8x57. Make sure you trim to length. I had good results with Winchester brass. I believe Quality Cartridge makes properly headstamped brass for it.

Chronographs, bore scopes and pattern boards have broke a lot of hearts.
H
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
H
Originally Posted by mart
I have loaded and still load for it but my notes are packed as we are getting ready to move. I know I was using faster powders than 4350 and 414. I honestly cannot remember which powder. All my ammo is packed as well as my notes. I haven't tried the 170 grain bullets in mine. Just 200 grain Speers and some 196 grain Woodleighs.

I loaned it to a young lady last year to take her first moose. She killed a nice cow moose with some 75 year old 200 grain factory Western Lubaloy ammunition. It did just fine.

I'd look at mid range burn rate powders from 3031 to 4320.

Brass can be formed from 8x57. Make sure you trim to length. I had good results with Winchester brass. I believe Quality Cartridge makes properly headstamped brass for it.

Excellent info thanks, do you know if these rifles were made to shoot 200gr bullets rather than 170?
I've read somewhere that they don't feed spitzer bullets that well is there any truth to that?
How do you form your 8x57 brass?
Do you trim it to 56mm then put it through your 8x56ms FL die?

I've got so many questions but will have to ask them as I think of them
Thanks again!

M
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
M
Mine shoots 200 grain bullets very well. I do believe they were built around the 196 grain round nose bullet as a standard loading. Mine functions fine with spitzers but every rifle is a law unto itself. At the distances an 8x56 would be used, a round nose is no liability.

I just run 8x57 brass into the 8x56 die then trim to length. Some brands are a little bigger at the base than others. I’ve found the Winchester brass to be on the smaller side, at least the batch I have, so it works well to convert to 8x56, which is a little smaller at the base than the 8x57. Some rifles have a chamber on the top end of the tolerance and will accept any brand of brass. Some will not. Trimming to length is critical. The MS rifles, at least make mine, will not chamber brass that is too long.

Good luck.

Chronographs, bore scopes and pattern boards have broke a lot of hearts.
H
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
H
Originally Posted by mart
Mine shoots 200 grain bullets very well. I do believe they were built around the 196 grain round nose bullet as a standard loading. Mine functions fine with spitzers but every rifle is a law unto itself. At the distances an 8x56 would be used, a round nose is no liability.

I just run 8x57 brass into the 8x56 die then trim to length. Some brands are a little bigger at the base than others. I’ve found the Winchester brass to be on the smaller side, at least the batch I have, so it works well to convert to 8x56, which is a little smaller at the base than the 8x57. Some rifles have a chamber on the top end of the tolerance and will accept any brand of brass. Some will not. Trimming to length is critical. The MS rifles, at least make mine, will not chamber brass that is too long.

Good luck.

Thanks very much, I’ll have to try some 190-200gr bullets too.
Mine will likely never be scoped so I hope to get it to shoot to where the iron sights are pointing and call it good, as long as I can get a 4” group at a hunnert i’ll be happy

IC B2

F
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
F
There is a 4 page write up on you cartridge with load data. 29 loads for 4 bullets weights in "Ken Waters Pet Loads" from Handloader. it's the big red book that Wolfe Publishing sells

Jim Gibson
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I load for a 9x 56 MS but found the 8mm mauser brass too large in the base for the chamber in my rifle. They resulted in sticky bolt lift. I ordered some 8x 56MS brass from Qual cartridge (they were out of 9x56 at the time) necked them up to 9mm and problem solved. I have found no other rifle handles as well as a Mannlicher Schoenauer for still hunting in thick dark timber.

Life is too short to hunt with ugly guns.
F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
I sold my 1908 a few years ago, but I used 170 Horn RN's and 185 Rem Core-Lokt's. Never got good results with the powders you mentioned, after much trial and error settled on any of the 4895 burning range. I used properly headstamped RWS brass and never was concerned with highest velocity. It was never a tack driver and something of a struggle to get consistent 2" groups. Mine had an old Hensholdt 4x scope that I never had great confidence in, but it esthetically belonged on that rifle. One strange thing I noted after having a Mannlicher fullstock collection of several calibers and exhaustive load development...I got best groups with the front bench bag used as a rest for the front hand and the front hand gripping the forestock near the front sling loop. Contrary to most other rifles. One mans observation.

Well this is a fine pickle we're in, should'a listened to Joe McCarthy and George Orwell I guess.
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I'd have to concur with about all that's been posted. With jacketed bullets I believe either of the 4895's is about ideal for the cartridge with IMR-4064 coming close to it. 200 grs. is where it's at but, I do have some 170 jacketed bullets loaded so lemme look at that data for you. I never load remotely close to max. so it will be a safe load. Mostly I shoot a 200 gr. cast, gas checked bullet over IMR-4227 at around 1800 fps.

I think I made my cases out of 30-06 Remington brass....for whatever that's worth.

The cartridge is listed in some older manuals and no doubt the dimensions can be found on line.

NRA Benefactor 2008

Jesus said, "I am the way, the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father but through me." John 14-6

There is no right way to do a wrong thing
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Hmm..just noticed this thread goes back to last September. Wonder if Hoarse found his load? At any rate, my 170 gr. jacketed load is 41 grs. of IMR-4895. Didn't look my notes on where it shoots with open sights. My rifle is not scoped nor does it have bases....and it isn't going to get any.

NRA Benefactor 2008

Jesus said, "I am the way, the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father but through me." John 14-6

IC B3

H
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
H
Originally Posted by sharps4590
Hmm..just noticed this thread goes back to last September. Wonder if Hoarse found his load? At any rate, my 170 gr. jacketed load is 41 grs. of IMR-4895. Didn't look my notes on where it shoots with open sights. My rifle is not scoped nor does it have bases....and it isn't going to get any.

I havent yet! I actually only really started loading for it now, once my work load is a bit lighter I'll get out to the range and have a go.
Plan to fill all three my deer tags with this rifle in November. I'll probably shoot 170gr Hornady RN since I've got several hundred of the bloody ugly things.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Ken Waters' Pet Loads lists the 8x56 MS on page 953 in the 8th edition, 2001. He does not list the 170gr Hornady but does have loads for the 170gr Speer semi-spitzer.

Faith and love of others knows no mileage nor bounds. That's simply the way it is.
dogzapper

After the game is over, the king and the pawn go into the same box.
Italian Proverb

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Hoarse, those same bullets shot fine in my 1908 and I want to remember I seated them out a little and they work fine through the Schoenauer magazine. I don't remember where I got my load but it works fine through my rifle. I'm not one to work very close to max....ever. My most used load for the rifle is an Accurate mold, I think #33-205 over a charge of IMR-4227 with an open cell foam filler. Cycles through the mag like hot butter and shoots lights out at open sight ranges. They are simply delightful rifles!

NRA Benefactor 2008

H
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
H
Originally Posted by Sakoluvr
Ken Waters' Pet Loads lists the 8x56 MS on page 953 in the 8th edition, 2001. He does not list the 170gr Hornady but does have loads for the 170gr Speer semi-spitzer.

I've got his load data, I bought about 500 of the HDY's from an estate last year, cheap as chips.
I wouldn't mind shooting the Speer's that you mention but having as many Hornady's as I have and then not using them would feel like a waste of money.

H
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
H
Hoarse, those same bullets shot fine in my 1908 and I want to remember I seated them out a little and they work fine through the Schoenauer magazine. I don't remember where I got my load but it works fine through my rifle. I'm not one to work very close to max....ever. My most used load for the rifle is an Accurate mold, I think #33-205 over a charge of IMR-4227 with an open cell foam filler. Cycles through the mag like hot butter and shoots lights out at open sight ranges. They are simply delightful rifles!

I've never shot cast, but will have to try it some day.
I'll be hunting mulies in fairly open country this fall, I would love to get a 150gr load that shot decent enough to 300m, but doubt that I'll have enough time to fiddle with that.
I'll shoot those RN 170's maybe 200gr Speer's that I have and keep my shots under 200m
My rifle is now scoped so I should be ok to 200m or so.

I'll report on how it goes soon

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
150 gr. might be a bit short. I don't know that but we are dealing with a rifle and magazine designed for use with essentially 200 gr. round nose billets. My thought is if you want to shoot 150 grs. flat, get a different 8mm rifle. You're trying to make something out of the 1908 it was never intended to be. I hope you can make it work but I'm not very optimistic.

NRA Benefactor 2008

H
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
H
150 gr. might be a bit short. I don't know that but we are dealing with a rifle and magazine designed for use with essentially 200 gr. round nose billets. My thought is if you want to shoot 150 grs. flat, get a different 8mm rifle. You're trying to make something out of the 1908 it was never intended to be. I hope you can make it work but I'm not very optimistic.

I think you’re right. I’ll stick with 170-200gr bullets, stalk a bit closer

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Shoot the rifle at distance and learn its ballistics. There's enough oomph for deer and like sized game with either bullet at 300.

NRA Benefactor 2008

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

241 members (10gaugemag, 257_X_50, 10ring1, 1_deuce, 12savage, 2ndwind, 29 invisible), 2,272 guests, and 1,257 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,502
Posts18,490,492
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.