Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Originally Posted by ryoushi
Nice work fellas, especially the kiddos! I'm hunting them vicariously this year since our Governor and game managers deemed hunting too risky. Hopefully in couple weeks they'll "let" us out to play.

Keep up the good work!

Just go, nobody is going to prison for hunting.

GB1

R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
Henned up bad...
6 of em all around him
Watched him for 20 minutes.
He followed em all to that tree line.
Ph pic on 4x
Close as he got bout 110 yds.
2 of the hens drifted to within 45 50 yards of me
He hung back with his other honey babies
Called it a day at 10.
Try again tommorow.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
Originally Posted by widrahthaar
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

cool

R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R

R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R

IC B2

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by widrahthaar
Originally Posted by ryoushi
Nice work fellas, especially the kiddos! I'm hunting them vicariously this year since our Governor and game managers deemed hunting too risky. Hopefully in couple weeks they'll "let" us out to play.

Keep up the good work!

Just go, nobody is going to prison for hunting.

No, I won't go to jail but since the season is closed until further notice, that would make me a poacher and I'd just as soon not have that on my record.

Now, back to the success/out hunting posts!

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Monday.

Huntin' & Fishin' are essential activities here. Did a little scouting and set up a blind on Thursday. Woods are really pretty now; violets, Virginia Bluebells, Trillium, redbud, dogwood, and some others I don't know.

Congrats to all the lucky boys, young ones and old ones too.

What fresh Hell is this?
I
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I
Bird #1...

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]

And bird #2

Pretty good spurs. Both Idaho birds.

Dave

If you're not burning through batteries in your headlamp,...you're doing it wrong.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Roof-----Nice gobbler-----Did you do the hog hunt this year? I thought I saw your ugly mug in the group photo? LOL, Bob

Last edited by colorado bob; 04/20/20.
R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
Try and get out tommorow morning.
Mid 50,s tonight .
See what happens.....

Congrats on the birds guys!!!

IC B3

R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
Originally Posted by colorado bob
Roof-----Nice gobbler-----Did you do the hog hunt this year? I thought I saw your ugly mug in the group photo? LOL, Bob

Yes,.Had a blast as usual.....

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I got my gobbler on Saturday 4/18 @ 7AM. Very typical hunt for me. I know where they like to roost and was there about 30 minutes before the 1st gobble. I heard him sound off on the ridge above me and I setup covering the floor of the canyon. I make a couple of soft "yelps"---he hammers back. Then I just let him gobble & gobble. About in another 15 minutes----I do another couple soft yelps. He hammers back. All is quiet. He's down out of the tree. He gobbles once on the groud----I yelp back. Then he comes out of the scrub oak @ 150 yards down the canyon floor. He's comes my way and stops @ 100 yards out & struts around for a good 10 minutes. I do a real real soft yelp. He gobbles & struts over to the creek bed & looks down it both ways. Then turns & come up the creek bed towards me. He gets about even with me & heads right to the tree I'm sitting under. He gets to about 25 yards & I hammer him. He was in strut this entire time @ 20 minutes from the when he comes out of the scrub oak to the shot. He's a 2 year old. About 5/8" spurs, 8 1/2 " beard. I used my old 870 Remington that I bought back in 1971 from money I made delivering newspapers after school . It only shoots 2 3/4" shells. I use #4's 1 5/8 oz Kent Shells. I do love turkey hunting----I'm hooked on that "Gobble."

[img]https://www.trapshooters.com/attachments/upload_2020-4-20_13-3-7-jpeg.1677039/[/img]
[img]https://www.trapshooters.com/attachments/upload_2020-4-20_13-13-2-jpeg.1677041/[/img]

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Congrats on some nice hints fellas. Nice write up Bob.

Stuck in airports, Terrorized
Sent to meetings, Hypnotized
Over-exposed, Commercialized
Handle me with Care...
-Traveling Wilbury's
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Quickest hunt ever. Opening day my 17 year old daughter and I bagged this double. Then entire hunt was over in 15 minutes!

I had not heard any birds in over a week so I was not very optimistic. We hit the first field at daybreak and called a little with no response. Moved on to our second field and in the trees between the two she heard a gobble probably a quarter mile away. I rushed to set up two decoys and fumbled a little as I have never hunted over decoys in my 30+ years of turkey hunting. I no more than got them set out at about 25 yards and they gobbled on the edge of the field where we couldn't see them. I gave a few yelps and they lit up again. Since I could hear multiple gobbles I assumed we were about to get a visit from a group of jakes. Nope, first bird struts up to the decoys and he was a "swinger" (if the beard is swinging, where shooting). I tell her to wait as another tom passes behind him, once by she drops him in his tracks with the little 20 Gauge, 2 3/4" #5's. At the shot the second tom heads left and I stand up and bust him at 30 yards, 12 Gauge 2 3/4" #4's. All over but the cleaning!

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Nice! Sounds like a well done hunt.

Stuck in airports, Terrorized
Sent to meetings, Hypnotized
Over-exposed, Commercialized
Handle me with Care...
-Traveling Wilbury's
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A couple of nice gobblers---Conglads-----Plus you got to hunt your daughter----Way Cool.

Cheesy Online Content OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by colorado bob
I got my gobbler on Saturday 4/18 @ 7AM. Very typical hunt for me. I know where they like to roost and was there about 30 minutes before the 1st gobble. I heard him sound off on the ridge above me and I setup covering the floor of the canyon. I make a couple of soft "yelps"---he hammers back. Then I just let him gobble & gobble. About in another 15 minutes----I do another couple soft yelps. He hammers back. All is quiet. He's down out of the tree. He gobbles once on the groud----I yelp back. Then he comes out of the scrub oak @ 150 yards down the canyon floor. He's comes my way and stops @ 100 yards out & struts around for a good 10 minutes. I do a real real soft yelp. He gobbles & struts over to the creek bed & looks down it both ways. Then turns & come up the creek bed towards me. He gets about even with me & heads right to the tree I'm sitting under. He gets to about 25 yards & I hammer him. He was in strut this entire time @ 20 minutes from the when he comes out of the scrub oak to the shot. He's a 2 year old. About 5/8" spurs, 8 1/2 " beard. I used my old 870 Remington that I bought back in 1971 from money I made delivering newspapers after school . It only shoots 2 3/4" shells. I use #4's 1 5/8 oz Kent Shells. I do love turkey hunting----I'm hooked on that "Gobble."

[img]https://www.trapshooters.com/attachments/upload_2020-4-20_13-3-7-jpeg.1677039/[/img]
[img]https://www.trapshooters.com/attachments/upload_2020-4-20_13-13-2-jpeg.1677041/[/img]

Good post.

Here's one of your pics-this bulletin board only allows a web address ending in .jpg or .jpeg (and a couple other file types). Yours ends in the numbers, but if you delete the numbers it gives an error-so I uploaded it to imgur for you-

Cheesy Online Content OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by 78CJ
Quickest hunt ever. Opening day my 17 year old daughter and I bagged this double. Then entire hunt was over in 15 minutes!

I had not heard any birds in over a week so I was not very optimistic. We hit the first field at daybreak and called a little with no response. Moved on to our second field and in the trees between the two she heard a gobble probably a quarter mile away. I rushed to set up two decoys and fumbled a little as I have never hunted over decoys in my 30+ years of turkey hunting. I no more than got them set out at about 25 yards and they gobbled on the edge of the field where we couldn't see them. I gave a few yelps and they lit up again. Since I could hear multiple gobbles I assumed we were about to get a visit from a group of jakes. Nope, first bird struts up to the decoys and he was a "swinger" (if the beard is swinging, where shooting). I tell her to wait as another tom passes behind him, once by she drops him in his tracks with the little 20 Gauge, 2 3/4" #5's. At the shot the second tom heads left and I stand up and bust him at 30 yards, 12 Gauge 2 3/4" #4's. All over but the cleaning!

Good to see some real turkey guns being used. smile

Cheesy Online Content OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
I'll tattle on myself, Sunday night set up where dad had been seeing some birds each evening. After an hour or so of hearing nothing I see a hen across the creek by her lonesome. Just messing around throwing some yelps at her trying to get her over to me to maybe entice a longbeard later, she totally ignores me. In one of those calling sequences to my right I hear some exited putting. Another hen had came into the field not 30 yards away from me and didn't like my calling evidently. She eventually calms down, cozies up with my decoy and goes to feeding. Hear a gobble back in the timber a long ways off. Another hen shows up, plus the hen that was ignoring me comes across the creek. They all end up within 10 yards of me at one point. Purring, and putting and yelping full volume. Those live decoys worked, and here comes the tom. The girls go off in his general direction, he's putting on a show. I'm yelping. He's gobbling. Strutting. Good show. Head glowing red. The hens start moving in the other direction, he starts to follow, I get impatient. Take a shot that I knew was too long for my modified choked 16 guage, and get the pleasure of watching him fly off into the sunset.

Luckily, last night dad texts me that he is watching what has to be the same bird following the same hens at the same time. He was strutting and got up to about where I took my shot from before he decided he didn't like a repeat of the night before and went and eased off the other direction.

Cheesy Online Content OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Sunday morning we got up at .4am to drive the 90 miles to hunt. My daughter had never been. She got to hear continuous gobbling on the roost for 30 minutes and then watch a display for another 30 minutes of strutting and gobbling while a longbeard followed some hens around at 100+ yards. Didn’t want to come in though.

Her brother that I started this thread off with, slept.

Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

655 members (10gaugeman, 160user, 10gaugemag, 06hunter59, 10ring1, 007FJ, 82 invisible), 2,679 guests, and 1,312 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,478
Posts18,471,669
Members73,936
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.