Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 6 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Yondering
Originally Posted by MontanaMan
With all the other good powders available for 223/5.56, some of the proponents of Lever, please tell me why it's "better" & how it's "better" & why I should switch or even try it, other than for the sake of just saying I tried it.

MM

I haven't had the success some claim in 5.56 with Lever. However, in several other AR15 cartridges I've had excellent results, meaning better accuracy and higher velocity than anything else. I'm not interested in high velocity without accuracy, but when you can have both, that's the best of both worlds.

For example, in a recent load workup with the 105gr BTHP in my 24" 243 LBC, I did a seating depth test with charges at each seating depth ranging between 30.1gr and 31.4gr (max). At 2.235" OAL, it shot a very acceptable group of 5, even though the charge weights varied by 1.3gr. Going back to test further at 30.8-31.0gr, that load gives better velocity than I can get with any other powder I've tried, accuracy is as good as anything else I've used, and the load isn't sensitive to velocity variations from different charge weights. Hard to beat that.

In my short barrel 6.5 Grendel, Lever and the 129gr ABLR bullet seem like they're made for each other. Every other powder is either too bulky for good velocity, or too fast burn rate. With the 123gr ELD in the same rifle, Lever adds 100-110 fps over my 8208 XBR load with equal accuracy. That rifle is not a tiny bughole shooter, but is one of those that shoots acceptably well with just about everything.

The 40gr V-max in my 23.5" 20 Tactical is another example; most of the common powder recommendations do 3600-3750 fps with varied accuracy results, some good some bad. But with a near max charge of Lever, it shoots as well or better than anything else, and does an honest 3900 fps.

However in the 5.56 I've mostly tried it with the 75gr BTHP, and had similar accuracy results as other powders like TAC - pushing it up to it's potential made accuracy fall apart. Maybe it's the particular rifle I tried it in, but my load of 23.5gr Benchmark shoots a lot better, even though it gives up ~150 fps. I also found that with the rifle tuned well for the Benchmark load, the Lever loads were pretty overgassed, to the point of being intolerable when the suppressor was added on (lots of gas and tearing up brass). Tuning the rifle for Lever meant that it didn't cycle the Benchmark load or some of the other 223 factory ammo I had on hand (although it was OK with M193).

So, I like Lever for some cartridges, but it's not magic for everything, and it's not for me in the 5.56 ARs. It's probably better in bolt guns, but I no longer have one in that cartridge.

Hope that helps.

Thanks..........I remember you saying some of that previously, especially about the overgassing with Lever & I have no real need to go there.

Overall, I happy with my loads of 8208, AR-Comp & for the lighter bullets, VV-133, but if I only had one powder, 8208 would likely be my choice.

MM

GB1

S
S
Just want to say thanks y'all for helping me be able to load dome ammo with LVR its the only rifle powddr I got at this point and I started at 25 grains under a 55 gr .224 FMJ-BT bullet and a 55 gr .224 SP Varmint bullet. I'll admit I was nervous gping off of "internet load data" but they cycled the bcg and felt about the same as a factory M855 round and no pressure signs or flattened primers. yesterday I loaded up 4 rounds to try and tomorrow I'll be doing accuracy tests. I'm sure glad I found this forum, since powder is not available right now, I'm stuck with LVR, at least until I can get my hands on some CFE 223, I use CFE Pistol under 230 gr Hornady XTP's for my SD Loads in my 45acp. So CFE 223 is worth a try, along with some TAC too.

I don't have a chrony to see how fast they're going unfortunately but I'm not too worried with that, as long as their consistent in hitting my POA comparable to factory Winchester M855 but hopeful I get better than that. I'm new to this rifle platform and loading the 5.56 my speer book has different load data for 5.56 and .223. I was happy it functioned well with no noticeable negative effects. again thanks y'all it took me about half of the day going through Google links, to finally come across this Forum site and y'all an actual numbers that corresponds with the 55 grain ammo I saw a s*** ton of data for heavier bullets but thanks again y'all 25 grains is good starting point is cycled my BCG and it was ringing my 4 inch by 4 inch steel Target at 50 yards

I can't say thank y'all enough I didn't want to keep paying for factory ammoits crazy high right now

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
LVR has been great with 77’s. I should give it a run for some range ammo with 55’s.

Semper Fi
79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by beretzs
LVR has been great with 77’s. I should give it a run for some range ammo with 55’s.

26.0gr lvr with 55gr fmj is a good load for me. Also good load with 55gr nosler bt.

Originally Posted by Bricktop
Then STFU. The rest of your statement is superflous bullshit with no real bearing on this discussion other than to massage your own ego.

Suckin' on my titties like you wanted me.
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by 79S

26.0gr lvr with 55gr fmj is a good load for me. Also good load with 55gr nosler bt.

Thanks John. That’s a good all arounder right there.

I’m going to try LVR in the 6 ARC once I get enough brass.

Semper Fi
IC B2

79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by 79S

Thanks John. That’s a good all arounder right there.

I’m going to try LVR in the 6 ARC once I get enough brass.

Forgot to add your not going to shoot bug hole groups, but you will get an honest inch groups with that load and bullet. I’m going to use that load for our 100yd reduced yardage service rifle matches.

Originally Posted by Bricktop
Then STFU. The rest of your statement is superflous bullshit with no real bearing on this discussion other than to massage your own ego.

Suckin' on my titties like you wanted me.
S
S
oads tomorrow to find my magic number for these 55 grain boat tails. when I have the spare cash I want to get the Elvis Ammo 77 grain mould from Arsenal Moulds and start casting some and jacketing them with spent .22 casings. I have been buying the Winchester M855 because its been easy to find, just to get some cases for later when powder is back to being readily available

S
S
I am excited about this I'm new to the AR platform rifles, I'm glad I bought one but I got a multi caliber once piece poly lower from K.E. Arms mines a KP-15 complete lower and I got a Bear Creek Arsenal 16" complete upper since I'm still learning all the parts of these rifles...its got a 15' m-lok handguard that I have a foregrip and a set of 45 degree offset sights on their way and its got a 3-9x32mm scope on it. So far I have been having fun with it but with how wooded the area I live in is. I haven't been able to stretch it out to 100 yards and further. I'm limited to 50 yards at a family members property which is also where I hunt deer. I won't be using this AR for hunting them though...my 30-30 or 30-06 punches through the brush and still kills the deer, I've rarely got a shot beyond 50 yards there but the brush is so thick its not a clear 50 yards...My buddy brought one once and he took a shot and the bullet bounced off a tree limb and the deer took off unscathed. He was pissed lol. But like I said this platform is all new to me and exciting learning all the ins and outs etc. Again thanks for majorly helping me out I've only handloaded 45acp to make practice ammo way cheaper and also load 30-30 ammo for deer season and some plinking my best load for my 336 for 150 gr RNFP Cast and powdercoated is a CCI LR primer, and 37.4 grains of LVR. They're dead on accurate but the W.W. lead is soft enpugh that they disintegrate on impact, which is why they're plinking ammo only. I use 35 grains of LVR under a cast 170 RNFP and they do the same. For hubting I use the 160 grain FTX's with 34.8 grains of LVR gets the best results with my 336 I went faster and they start going crazy.

S
S
It works the action and rings steel for me, that's all I was seeking at this point. When supplies are able to be had is when I'll start looking for the pinhole groups. For the time being and my only rifle powder its doing what I was hopeful for...I used my 45 dies all the time and I'm pretty sure I'll be using these all the time hopefully soon lol

T
TWR Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Don’t take this the wrong way but stick some brush in front of a target and see how well the 30-30 or any other round punches through brush. Hint, it’s not good.

I’m not advocating you hunt with the AR or drop the 336, I wish I had mine back. Just thought the same thing about mine until I saw it first hand.

I recently picked up a Marlin 1894 in 44 magnum and will kill a pig or two with it. Nothing sweeter than a lever gun in its element.

I actually looked at a KE lower today and was kinda interested in it. Might pick one up for fun.

IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I, too, want to thank those who contributed to this thread. I have contemplated trying Leverevolution powder with heavy bullets in .223/5.56 and was able to pick up several pounds on sale for $19.95 a couple years ago. It does work great in my son’s Winchester Model 94 in 30-30, but I have wondered if it would run in the AR’s. I have a good supply of TAC, which is my favorite for the .223 for both gas gun and bolt with bullets from 50 gr and 55 gr in the bolt’s 1 in 12” twist and up to 69 gr in the faster twisted AR’s. For the 40 gr tipped bullets in the bolt, I have settled on Benchmark, using Nosler’s top load.
I might just try some of the LVR with some 77 gr BTHP’s just to see if they perform any better than TAC or 8208XBR. This thread gave me some good places to start.

Page 6 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

565 members (007FJ, 10Glocks, 12344mag, 10gaugemag, 1234, 160user, 62 invisible), 2,483 guests, and 1,315 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,077
Posts18,482,727
Members73,959
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.