Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
C
clattin Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
C
I just finished sanding (I think, how do you know for sure?) a laminate, thumb-hole stock from Richards and am going to start applying a Tru Oil finish tonight. I've read a lot of Sitka Deer's posts on stock finishing and like what he has to say.

I'll be applying a coat, waiting 15 minutes or so, wiping clean with a cloth (will a tack cloth be good?) and then applying a second and third heavy coats (with wiping in between) and then hanging to dry overnight until I can do more tomorrow.

Was thinking about using a straightened coat hanger or other wire to hang it by the front action screw hole from the ceiling in my work shop....is this how you typically do it to prevent marring the fresh coat of oil?

Thx!
Chris

"Be thankful we're not getting all the government we're paying for" Will Rogers
GB1

U
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
U
stiff wire works great! coated wire works better!

make sure the wire does not contact the stock once it's hung (dry fit). I use a bone pin (SS rod) with a little "L" on it in either the action screw or the magazine well or the sling swivel stud.

C
clattin Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
C
I hadn't thought about the sling swivel stud....I took them out for the sanding job....guess I could put it back in for the oil finish.

Do you actually pour some of the Tru Oil into your hand and then wipe it on, or put some in a small bowl and then dip your fingers into it?

I thought I remember a post where someone modified a Tru Oil bottle somehow to dispense it better....anyone remember how they did it?

Sorry for the dumb questions...first time finishing ANYTHING (other than spray paint) and know very little about wood working!

thx again!
Chris

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
I store my Tru Oil in the freezer and pour about a teaspoonful into a disposable plastic weighing dish to use; a finger dip at a time. Get it off my hands with a squirt of WD-40 followed by dish detergent.

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
I apply oil with a small folded up piece of linen, dipping it right into the can I mixed it up in. (Equal parts pure Tung oil, Epifanes spar varnish and mineral spirits)

To hang it up to dry overnight, I run a buttplate screw into it's hole and tie whatever I'm using at the moment to it (heavy cotton string usually).

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I used the coat hanger method when I re-finished my 77-17 stock.
Let it hang over-night, in the shed. Then packed it to the house. Dropped the darn thing!
Will remember the sling swivel stud next time!
Virgil B.

U
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
U
I usually suck up the oil in a 6cc syringe and drip it on where needed while rubbing it in. It really minimizes wastage and applying exeessive amounts!

wait for sitka to find this, he'll have plenty of tips !

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Sling swivel and heavy wire/coat hanger works. Have you looked into the aerosol tru-oil? Much better imho.....

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I use the coat hanger wire in the action screw hole.

Tom M is correct in the aerosol stuff has advantages. It stays fresh longer as there is no exposure to air and it applies easily. The advantages end there as the idea with oil finishes is to rub them dry after allowing them to sit for a while. It also significantly more expensive, but either way works.

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
W
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
W
Coat hanger me too....got two hanging now over the woodstove that appear to be a permanent part of the decore.

I rub Tru Oil straight, no thinning after learning what Sitka says about thinned oil and how it dries leaving minute air "bubbles" for moisture to leak through.

I dribble it right out of the bottle onto the wood, not a lot, just enough to go a ways. Then rub it out with my whole hand as far as that amount will stretch, repeat until the whole stock is covered. I wait a bit then buff it out with flannel cloth. Then hang for a day or two or three depending on the humidity. Sand and repeat.

I don't worry at all how it looks until after at least ten coats are rubbed in, then I pay attention to how much the grain is being filled and how the finish looks in a glancing light. I'm done after about 20 coats or so.

One trick I do to make the Tru Oil last longer in the bottle is poke a small hole in the foil seal so that just drops come out. Seams to lessen the amount of "skin" the stuff gets if the bottle sits a while. Also is way easier and less wasteful to apply a few drops to the stock right out of the bottle than to pour a bunch in a cup that doesn't all get used. Don't remove that foil seal, just poke a hole in it near the edge of the mouth........

[Linked Image]
IC B3

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
I store Tru Oil in the bottle upside down so any skin that forms is on the bottom. I use a small hole in the foil too.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
If you are going to do this right, and esp. if you want to do this more than once, make a jig that will allow you to work on the stock without touching it. A dowel dummy barrel might work in a vice. Better, if the stock can be rotated so you can work on any side you wish without touching it, you will be immensely happier.

The problem is that you really cannot finish a stock that is swinging in the breeze on a wire. And as soon as you grab it to stop the swinging, you have a problem.

Be creative and make a little benchtop jig. If you do, you will reward yourself with a good beer for thinking ahead.

Brent

Save an elk, shoot a cow.
W
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
W
I don't think that we're talking about applying finish as it hangs....it hangs to allow it to dry, after the finish is applied.

Savvy?

A dummy barrel might be a good idea, but at least in my case the inside of the action inlet and barrel channel get just as many coats of finish as the outside. A dummy barrel would get in the way of that...one would think, if one was thinking ahead.

I dunno about anyone else but when I hang a stock after applying a coat of Tru Oil, the stock is dry to the touch anyway from all the rubbing and buffing....

[Linked Image]
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
yeah, I savvy

How are you going to hold that stock while coating every square millimeter of it's surface?

Note he said heavy second and third coats...

Savvy?

Brent

Save an elk, shoot a cow.
C
clattin Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
C
I have got 1 1/2 coats on so far....Got one coat on and then realized I hadn't sanded will enough around the pistol grip and found a couple other spots that needed more sand paper. Sanded them out and then applied another coat.

I used a rubber bungee cord and straightened out one of the hooks a little bit and it fits perfectly into the hole for the sling swivel stud without any contact.

I am putting oil in the barrel channel, but haven't gotten much in the action inlet, just around the edges. Gonna get some more coats put on today!

Thanks for all the advice!!!!

Chris

W
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
W
Brent...

You speak as if you know something but I'm left wondering just how many stocks you have finished with Tru Oil.....

I can speak only of that which I know and have done...and can recall no difficulty "handling" a "wet" stock. As I've plainly stated the stock is dry to the touch BEFORE it gets hung up to "dry" or "cure out" for a day or two or three....the very essance of a hand rubbed finish dictates that.

Besides, the first 15 to 18 coats, for me, are just to fill the grain and seal the wood. The only coats that matter for looks are the last two or three and the final finish is a hard buffing with flannel to absolute dry, a hang time of a couple weeks then a goodly couple coats of wax.

If you've BT/DT then you would know........

The man was soliciting info from abroad and that's what he's getting.

[Linked Image]
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Brent
Oil is applied heavily... Allowed to work for 10-15 minutes and then buffed DRY. Touching it a little at that point is not a problem. Many think they need to apply oil and leave it wet on the surface. That makes for runs and a poor finish...
art

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I saw Larry Potterfield on a Midway spot using a gadget I'd like to try. It's basically a piece of mild steel strap that's screwed into the recoil pad screw holes using tube spacers to make a nice handle. Weld a piece of tube at one hole for a fixed spacer (or don't to use different length spacers). Mill a slot for the other screw and leave the spacer loose for a universal tool. Hang through the forend sling swivel stud hole with tie wire and have at it. It could be in there somewhere but I couldn't find anything like it in the Midway online catalog.

The key elements in human thinking are not numbers but labels of fuzzy sets. -- L. Zadeh

Which explains a lot.
O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
cla..,

Don't forget to take off the butt plate or recoil pad and finish the butt section of the stock, too. You can also run a screw back into the hole and tie a cord to it if you want to hang it at another direction.

I use an art brush to make sure every surface of the inletting is covered - even the action screw holes.

Too old to suffer fools
M
M
Gee, I've done dozens of stocks (I use straight linseed) and I just stand 'em in a corner.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

90 members (35, 6mmCreedmoor, 6mmbrfan, 257_X_50, 2500HD, 7mm_Loco, 7 invisible), 1,420 guests, and 867 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,118
Posts18,483,511
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.