Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Originally Posted by kennyd
They actually left an unsecured hatchet out?

According to CNN it's an assault hatchet

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
My wife, raised on a dairy farm in Wi., sure does. I worked on lots of them as a kid..didn`t lick the salt blocks, but sure did get a good line of woodchuck info.Killed them after haying.

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
I’ve heard of city kids, who after visiting a farm, were appalled that milk came out of a cow and refused to drink milk thereafter.
Good thing they didn’t see where eggs come from.🙄

What man, on his death bed, ever lamented, "God, I wish I had spent more time at the office."
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Yeccchhhh!!!
When I was a kid, we always had salt licks around for the horse and ponies. Never, ever crossed my mind to lick one.

"No good deed shall go unpunished!"
J
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
J
Originally Posted by rockinbbar
Originally Posted by kaywoodie
We used to knock a chunk off of em. Carry it in our pocket.

Remember fishing in the creek at the ranch as a boy. We caught a good mess of fish, and fried them up, then realized we had forgot the salt! frown

Grandad's salt lick was a couple hundred yards away, so I trotted over there and shaved off a handful with my pocket knife.

Problem solved! Sulpher salt, no less. grin

Got de-wormed too.

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the left.

A Nation which leaves God behind is soon left behind.

"The Lord never asked anyone to be a tax collector, lowyer, or Redskins fan".

I Dindo Nuffin
IC B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I remember one year at the fair a company gave out mini-blocks that were about 1" cubes. I thought that they were the neatest thing. I kept mine on the dresser and would give it a lick once in awhile.

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
City kids don't know what a maul is. I like the assault modifier.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
As a kid it was hard to pass a salt block without breaking a chunk of of it for licking later. A lot of kids carried the rabbits salt-sized ones in their pocket

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
"Brother Dave" Gardner used to have a line on one of his comedy albums about how to tell a city kid from a country kid- - - -"Walk 'em across the cow pasture and look at their shoes when they get to the other side!"

LOL!
Jerry

Ignorance can be fixed. Stupid is forever!
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I will sheepishly admit to spending some time on my knees for a quick lick on occasion. Always looked for what looked to be either not licked or the least licked spot.lol Dad put out the brown mineral blocks in the winter, KayDee was the brand name. They were good also, had some molasses in them. yuuummm He never did buy/put out any of the other colors so don't know what kind of table fare they were. Blue was iodine but not sure on yellow or rust colored.Think there was a magnesium and the yellow may have been sulfur????

Then there was sneaking up and getting your hand under the hen in the nest to catch the nice warm egg that was coming. Shooting nice warm milk fresh from the cow teat into your mouth would probably be considered unhealthy to most by todays standards. Peeing on the electric fence made your balls hurt if they had already dropped down. Many unpleasant 'kid' experiences that made you think things through beforehand which the city kids didn't have or discover.LOL

Last edited by SDWhirlwind; 04/07/20.
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Was never that poor or ignorant. I once launched 22 LR slug at a block across a drainage, it struck the block near the bottom of one of the licked in depressions, skidded across the bowl, and returned in my direction to strike the bank somewhere over my head. Notice I used the term "once."

Last edited by 1minute; 04/07/20.

1Minute
H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
A chunk of salt block in one pocket. A handful of horse's oats, with molasses from the barrel, and we were good to go! Roll the oats and molasses, together and you had a sweet treat! Mom would get pissed, if you left the oat ball in your pocket, and it got washed!

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
I feed the loose TM salt.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
That looks like a 3-gallon Fortex pan to me.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
Never peed on an electric fence although some of my buddies and I used to grab the wire to see who could hang on the longest. Bloody wonder it never stopped someone’s heart. We all survived.
Warm milk straight from the cow was great on a cold winter morning. We all survived that also.
Kids nowadays have no idea what they’re missing.

What man, on his death bed, ever lamented, "God, I wish I had spent more time at the office."
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Bobber257
Never peed on an electric fence although some of my buddies and I used to grab the wire to see who could hang on the longest. Bloody wonder it never stopped someone’s heart. We all survived.
Warm milk straight from the cow was great on a cold winter morning. We all survived that also.
Kids nowadays have no idea what they’re missing.

Warm milk straight from the cow is a wonderful thing to be missing!

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by kennyd
They actually left an unsecured hatchet out?
I think when that photo was taken, the word assault wasn't in the dictionary yet.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
Llamas will lick holes in them.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Make sure that mineral block does not have selenium in it if you are giving it to Llamas.

Its all right to be white!!
Stupidity left unattended will run rampant
Don't argue with stupid people, They will drag you down to their level and then win by experience
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana

"The 1-l lama, he's a priest.
The 2-l llama, he's a beast.
But I will bet my silk pajama
There isn't any 2-l lllama."

Thank you, Mr. Nash

Although some fire chief pointed out that he had been to many a 3-l lllama.

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
When I was little, some of my favorite things were salt licks, dry dog food, and drinking from the horses water tank.

These kids drinking chlorinated water, soy milk, and getting wiped down with disinfectant every second (before corona') have to have a compromised immune system.

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

171 members (35, 2UP, 470Evans, 44mc, 375TN, 16 invisible), 1,602 guests, and 1,041 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,243
Posts18,485,961
Members73,967
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.