Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Most of the old original Kentucky Long Rifles made by the old master gun builders form the early 18th to the early 19th Centuries, were decorated with relief carving and engraving on the metal. The wood was most times beautiful curly maple on top of the decorations which together, made for some stunning rifles. These guns were never in a safe and were used for what they were made for....to shoot and hunt with. The wear and "patina" on these guns we see these days only adds to the looks of the rifles and fowlers that have survived for 2 centuries. Their history is etched in every wear point and ding and lets us just image their story. If a gun of any type is too nice to be used, it might as well be a toaster. I have no use for them.

Last edited by reivertom; 04/06/20.
GB1

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
I was always taught by my dad how to handle/treat a rifle/shotgun. Only scratches that ever happened were horse related or slipped in the mud and dropped it on a tree root/or rock, etc. The rain and snow are the Boogermen I deal with/dread. Nice wood can really get messed up if wet long enough, of course. so yes, I've had a few rifles that were just too pretty, I couldn't make myself put wear on them and there are have been some that shot so well I took them anyhow, ha. Now, in the last "1/3rd" of Life, I use I have, when I have the opportunity to hunt! smile My latest "nice one" is a nicely figured Kimber 84L Classic, .270. I'll just take the little sack of Gun Slicker with it when I go into the mountains. Pluse, I always use Outers Tri Lube on the metal and Howards Feed N Wax on the wood. The "hard use" rifle is a Bergara B14 300WM. I like how their stock feels, kind of a "rubberized feel"? The older synthetics got so cold they hurt my old hands, wood is much warmer. Hopefully this Bergara will be bearable. Yes I wear gloves....:)

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by okie john
Originally Posted by Blacktailer
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Yes.

What are the build sheets for these two?

Thanks,

Okie John

Lower is M700 30-06. Started out as ADL converted to BDL no other metal work except for the satin blue. Stock is Brown Precision fitted to me. Scoped (currently with Talley lows and 2.5-8 Leupold) weighs just over 7lbs and felt recoil is less than post 64 M70 it replaced.
Lower is P64 M70 375H&H. Took it to the same gunsmith and had him duplicate the dimensions of the M700. Weighs about 9 1/4lbs with Talley QR's and Kahles 1.5-6. Has 3 cape buff and a bunch of other stuff to it's credit. Again recoil is very tolerable even with 350's @ 2400fps.

I am continually astounded at how quickly people make up their minds on little evidence or none at all.
Jack O'Connor
Q
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Q
The only thing that looks better than a beautiful rifle is a beautiful rifle with a lifetime of honest use and wear.

GOD Bless America
O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
Originally Posted by okie john
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

Yes.

What are the build sheets for these two?

Thanks,

Okie John

Lower is M700 30-06. Started out as ADL converted to BDL no other metal work except for the satin blue. Stock is Brown Precision fitted to me. Scoped (currently with Talley lows and 2.5-8 Leupold) weighs just over 7lbs and felt recoil is less than post 64 M70 it replaced.
Lower is P64 M70 375H&H. Took it to the same gunsmith and had him duplicate the dimensions of the M700. Weighs about 9 1/4lbs with Talley QR's and Kahles 1.5-6. Has 3 cape buff and a bunch of other stuff to it's credit. Again recoil is very tolerable even with 350's @ 2400fps.

Thanks.

Okie John

Originally Posted by Brad
If Montana had a standing army, a 270 Win with Federal Blue Box 130's would be the standard issue.
IC B2

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by Coyote_Hunter
Had a beautiful Ruger #1 in .280 Rem.. IT was definitely in the "too nice to hunt with" category so I sold it an dpurchased a Ruger HAwkeye All Weather (stainless/black synthetic) in .280 Rem.

Not even a tinge of regret.

"I never thought I'd live to see the day that a U.S. president would raise an army to invade his own country."
Robert E. Lee
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Maybe this one qualifies. Dakota 76 in 284

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Originally Posted by Sakohunter264
Maybe this one qualifies. Dakota 76 in 284

Super Sweet, JS

ya!

GWB

A Kill Artist. When I draw, I draw blood.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Just about ALL my guns fit into that category. I have two "Tupperware guns" as my wife calls them just because. I really don't care for plastic stocks..

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
All of my rifles are hunted with, none are too pretty. A long time ago noted gun dealer Randy Shuman told me that "use with care never hurt a rifle" advice that I agree with. My nicer rifles are not taken out in severe rainy conditions, nor would I consider taking them on a horseback hunt.

IC B3

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
I saw a TV show where the guy was target shooting an older rifle that was worth like $75-80K. Other guy asks him about shooting such an expensive gun because of the value. Like the wear on it would devalue it. Shooter says we shoot them all no matter how rare or valuable because that's what they were made for. Then I see African PHs (on TV) shooting double rifles worth like $30-40K and don't give it a second thought. So I suppose I shouldn't be too concerned shooting a $1K rifle or $2-3K O/U shotgun. But sometimes it's hard not to be a little overly protective of your "asset", not having a bunch of "disposable" income.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
reivertom said above ^ ^ ^

" If a gun of any type is too nice to be used, it might as well be a toaster. "

grin grin grin

I haven't been of that mindset..... but it is true ! Thanks

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

A Flat Trajectory is Never a Handicap

Speed is Trajectory's Friend !!
G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Once more, with feelin'

Nope!

[Linked Image from i38.photobucket.com]

Some 280's

ya!

GWB

A Kill Artist. When I draw, I draw blood.
G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Nope! I take great care, and obviously don't carry them in sleet, rain and mud, but they go out!

Trump Won!
J
Joe Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by geedubya
Once more, with feelin'

Nope!

Some 280's

ya!

GWB

GWB, I've never much liked light stocks but, that maple stock is absolutely gorgeous!

Shew me thy ways, O LORD: teach me thy paths.
"there are few better cartridges on Earth than the 7 x 57mm Mauser"
"the .30 Springfield is light, accurate, penetrating, and has surprising stopping power"
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
The "real" pretty ones I do shoot, but I also use extreme care not to end up with a mark somewhere...

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
It's a fuggin handle, boys!

I have two with pretty wood.

When they get buggered up, I refinish them.

If course, I don't have much money in them either- they are tool handles, not "works of art".

I won't ever have a rife too pretty to hunt with, cuz I'm to damned cheap! MOA or less is beauty to me, and hang the aesthetics, and I can get that for way less than even a synthetic stock goes for now days. Most times.

YMMV.

Last edited by las; 04/07/20.

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

N
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N

[Linked Image from hosting.photobucket.com][/quote]

Dang you shot that poor old JRT with that pretty rifle?! 😂😂

"I used to be a tired hunting guide, now I'm just a re-tired hunting guide"

"No eternal reward will forgive us now, for wasting the dawn" JM

Jared
N
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
N
I’ve got a few of them that I won’t take on a four wheeler ride in the rain but I like to use them when I can get where I want to hunt without banging them around needlessly. The nice wood gives me something to look at if the deer aren’t moving and they all shoot little bitty groups.

NRA Life,Endowment,Patron or Benefactor since '72.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by blairvt
Originally Posted by Fireball2
Just one in 250-3000

that a factory 99?

It's factory 1930's era with custom wood, checkering, and bluing.

LOL
Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

223 members (2500HD, 22kHornet, 160user, 10Glocks, 12344mag, 22 invisible), 1,615 guests, and 1,048 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,759
Posts18,476,448
Members73,942
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.