[Linked Image from irishtimes.com]

Last edited by MikeL2; 04/08/20.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by ingwe
Originally Posted by Birdwatcher
WE WAS SLAVES! 😡

I demand reparations......

Yep, we was, and were farther down the social Totem Pole than blacks.

Still, I don't get all butt hurt when someone calls me a " Mick"

And I haven't asked for reparations...yet.

Least we all forget our Irish ancestors had no value unlike some pigmented types who came here with a value. No one protected their Irish investment when it came to the Irish, there'd be another boatload shortly

Be Polite , Be Professional , but have a plan to kill everybody you meet
-General James Mattis United States Marine Corps

Nothing is darker than a mau mau's moo moo.
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
The only reason nobody "conquered" Ireland was there was nothing there worth the effort, except raiding for slaves. It's really that simple.

MAGA
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by High_Noon
You guys are completely missing the point. My daughter is hilarious. She's 9.

This never happens^^^^Laffin 😂

High, you’re right, your daughter is hilarious.

😎

Curiosity Killed the Cat & The Prairie Dog
“Molon Labe”
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by EthanEdwards
All of this is just anti-Irish racism.

Hey Mick...go draw another stout and STFU!

with all due respect...

Hunt with Class and Classics

Religion: A founder of The Church of Spray and Pray

Acquit v. t. To render a judgment in a murder case in San Francisco... EQUAL, adj. As bad as something else. Ambrose Bierce “The Devil's Dictionary”

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
For the English, an unconquered Ireland, like an independent Scotland, was a knife at their back, forever making alliances with France and Spain.

The Irish themselves remained splendidly retrograde, successive English invaders invaded, married into the local warring clans, and went native, “more Irish than the Irish”, over generations. Elizabethan armies found themselves facing the sort of combatants the Romans could have faced 1,500 years earlier including horsemen without stirrups hurling javelins.

Throughout all this time more Irish were killed by other Irish than by the English.

Bringing in Prods to settle the land from the adjoining Scottish lowlands changed all that, dispossessing the Native Catholic Irish beginning with Ulster.

The Republic of Ireland won independence the same way the subject peoples across the rest of the Empire did; in a large part due to the restraint of the increasingly decent Brits, using British laws and principles against them. If a people voted themselves free under British Law, England was powerless to stop them.

The clueless here used to chant “England Out of Ireland” on St Paddy’s Day. Worse, they gave money to the scum that were the IRA. From what I saw England would have LOVED to get out of Ireland, but could not because of a million-plus Ulster Prods who would NEVER vote themselves and Ulster out of the United Kingdom.

But, the former despised Ulster Catholic minority is now becoming the majority, many of whom also want to stay British also.

The EU diffused a lot of the tension, all border barriers dismantled, and the Republic for better or worse is no longer under the thumb of the Catholic Church, it has now gone, like Scotland, far Progressive Leftist.

Ironically, the Ulster Prods, staunchly Pro-Life, have found themselves allied with the Catholic Church on that issue when the Republic legalized abortion on demand.

Another issue was Brexit, membership in the EU benefitted both Northern Ireland and the Republic, neither entity wants a return to hard borders and separate currencies.

As for myself, I’m glad I don’t have to have a dog in that fight. Of course I value my Irish Catholic roots, is who I am, I also am enormously impressed by the Prods, possibly the toughest people in the world.

Ulster Prods emigrated to our Frontier and gave us the American culture we here treasure.

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744
R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
I'm half Irish, but I don't drink. My older family members did it, and I learned from their mistakes. We must have a gene that likes booze way too much. I do know how to fight though!

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Know what a 7- course meal is in Ireland???

Scroll down.......

A sixpack of beer and a baked potato...

And yes - I'm half Irish... laugh laugh

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Family tree littered with alcoholics here, but the city I live in has the highest rate of DWI arrests in the nation and us Irish actually ain’t in the majority. I have long heard that Russia is drinking itself to death too. Then of course there’s that whole Rez thing.

Prob’ly ain’t just the Irish.

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744
IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
"Prods" is hate-speech.

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Mostly a mix of Black Irish and Blackfoot Sioux

Phil

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
"Prods" is hate-speech.

Its also easy to type.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
"Prods" is hate-speech.

What about Sassenach?

'Four legs good, two legs baaaad."
----------------------------------------------
"Jimmy, some of it's magic,
Some of it's tragic,
But I had a good life all the way."
(Jimmy Buffett)

SotG
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by Birdwatcher
WE WAS SLAVES! 😡

I demand reparations......

I've been saying that for years. Doubt Perfidious Albion will ever come through though. They are after perfidious.

'Four legs good, two legs baaaad."
----------------------------------------------
"Jimmy, some of it's magic,
Some of it's tragic,
But I had a good life all the way."
(Jimmy Buffett)

SotG
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Son_of_the_Gael
"Prods" is hate-speech.

What about Sassenach?

Níl imní orm faoi labhairt cac ar agus fu ck ing sassenach.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
The O'Birdy's, or at least my O'Birdy's, were from Southwest Cork, one of the poorest regions in Ireland and hard hit by the famine. Near as we can gather we were established as Merchant Marine in Queenstown (Cork Harbor) by that time, tho throngs of the starving and desperate showed up there.

A million died in the famine, the other seven million people in Ireland at that time did not. I do wonder what hard choices my ancestors had to make to stay alive during those years.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana

That reminds me that I wrote a paper on the Potato Famine for a history course in college. Seems like the blame lay on The Corn Laws. Wonder where that paper could be.

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
B
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
B
All my life I figured my DNA was predominately Irish because of my reddish hair and very light complexion,...which obviously came from my Paternal grandmother.

A DNA test indicated that I was about 20% Irish and 70% english.

I would have thought those percentages reversed.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Greyghost
Mostly a mix of Black Irish and Blackfoot Sioux

Phil

Please define "black Irish"

Page 2 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

99 members (AussieGunWriter, benchman, 10Glocks, BALLISTIK, 35, 10 invisible), 1,243 guests, and 963 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,863
Posts18,497,245
Members73,980
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.