Hop To
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by BillyGoatGruff
Originally Posted by Journeyman
Factory new trucks?

My company buys 3200ish pickups a year

Best Is the Raptor. I've had a 2014 and now have a 2018.

Second, by a LONG shot is the 2019.2020 Silverado Trail Boss.

Next the ZR2

Distantly next the Power Wagon

3rd Gen Tacoma Sucks.

EVERY Gen of Tundra has sucked.

Anyone who says different doesn't "use" a truck...

City folks bragging about their adventures are a hoot...

Best is like most things, awful subjective. A Raptor doesn't have the payload or towing capacity to do much, but can go really fast on rough roads. I'd be interested in the GMC AT4 if they weren't a million dollars. And I'd have to put an aftermarket winch on.

You are 100% correct in my opinion: "Best is like most things, awful subjective.", and I would have answered differently were the question does it, per your reply: "have the payload or towing capacity to do much, but can go really fast on rough roads."

The question was:
MAy have to buy a new truck here in a few days and haven’t looked at trucks in a long time (6-7 years)
I need a true off-road capable truck (ground clearance, lockers, power to weight, etc)
Been running a old body style 2003 four door Tacoma with e locker and it has been great for the past 7 or 8 years
What would you guys recommend in today’s lineup ?

Again, we buy 3.200 trucks a year...I personally have bought 5 in the last 18 months...

I stand by my answer...
Should the question change...my answer "may" as well...

Last edited by Journeyman; 04/10/20.

You can no more tell someone how to do something you've never done, than you can come back from somewhere you've never been...
GB1

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Don't doubt it at all. Truck convos are difficult online as some call a 4Runner or an AWD minivan a truck just because they can get it up a nasty road and toss a deer in the back. smile

What kind of abuse do your trucks go through that the Raptor is king? Ratio dirt to pavement for example. No flies on them, just wondering. I've driven a couple, but Ford ergo' s have always left me cold. Has your company tried any Rebels? I was tempted by a used one when I got my wifes pickup a couple months ago, but I didn't realize they had the adjustable airbag suspension. Fugg that. But seems like it'd be a close competitor for the Raptor, at least on paper.

MAGA
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
If I had the money to buy an off-road pickup(and not a work pickup..)...

Ford TREMOR....feel the thunder!

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Seen a promo video for them. Saw a Ford I kinda wanted to buy. smile

Dude, you really ought to buy one in 350 and report back. You really do deserve one. Treat yourself man!

MAGA
T
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
Do it Sam. Local guy here just bought a single cab 1ton with a bale bed, has the 7.3/10sp combo. He has already proclaimed that there are NO more diesels in his future.

IC B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Gruff, local dealer had one in stock, I think it was crowding $70K, ain't happening!

It would make a terrible work truck, you'd need a step ladder to access the box....

Kid, we were looking at a twin to the one your local guy bought. Reg cab, SRW, 7.3 gas, hell the sticker on it was $48k, that idea was now also been put on pause.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by fortymile
My son has a 2019 Ford Ranger Lariat with the FX4 package. To my mind it has the best combination of size, powertrain, and off road performance of any truck out there. It's a foot narrower than an F-150 so will fit tighter trails. It has good ground clearance. The FX4 package gets you an electronic locking rear differential. It comes with decent all terrain tires (Hankook ATM). Everything underneath is well tucked in and protected. The crawl control system is amazing, much better than what Toyota offers. It has 4 wheel disc brakes (Toyota's still using archaic drum brakes in the rear). It has a 7500 pound tow rating. My son gets up to 26 mpg highway with his truck. It has power to spare.

I have one of those, it's my company truck. It will go almost anywhere I point it. I use it in the appalachain basin in the gas patch. I will say that it is a tight fit for me. I'm 6'3'' tall. The alternator is low on the engine, right behind the right side front tire. It left me stranded in the woods at 21000 miles. That and the cab room are my only complaints. We also have two off road tacomas. The ranger is a better truck in every way.

Last edited by thumbcocker; 04/12/20.
A
add Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A

Epstein didn't kill himself.

"Play Cinnamon Girl you Sonuvabitch!"

Biden didn't win the election.
S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Before buying, look at the air dam below the front bumper. Almost every new truck has one that is low enough that it will just barely clear curb in parking lots.

I have 2109 Chevy Duramax, Silverado,supposedly with an Off Road rating. . Dodge and Ford had the same deal. My old 98 Dodge had smaller one and it was easy to remove.No so with the newer trucks.

Then if it is diesel with Chevys at least, The DEF tank does not have much clearance for off road either.

As for Toyotas. I am on my 2nd Tacoma. Great truck, but the wheel base is narrower than a std truck and when you go down a two track, only one wheel is in the track, the other side is up out of the other track

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
S
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by SamOlson
Gruff, local dealer had one in stock, I think it was crowding $70K, ain't happening!

It would make a terrible work truck, you'd need a step ladder to access the box....

Kid, we were looking at a twin to the one your local guy bought. Reg cab, SRW, 7.3 gas, hell the sticker on it was $48k, that idea was now also been put on pause.

test drove a gas tremor f350 awhile back....it had the old man step in the endgate , but the bed was so stupid high me at 6' 4" couldnt hardly jump onto the step

had the factory gooseneck hitch in it , but I do think your trailer would always be running uphill ....LOL

IC B3

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by saddlesore

Then if it is diesel with Chevys at least, The DEF tank does not have much clearance for off road either.

Didn't GM change the location of the DEF tank? That is one of the reasons I went with the RAM over the Chevy, but I think it has been changed.

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Originally Posted by sdgunslinger

had the factory gooseneck hitch in it , but I do think your trailer would always be running uphill ....LOL

Most goose necks can be adjusted to bed heights. My 2019 Chevy is higher than my old Dodge was.No problem though

Originally Posted by Just a Hunter

Didn't GM change the location of the DEF tank? That is one of the reasons I went with the RAM over the Chevy, but I think it has been changed.

Did not know that. I should have waited a year then. I went with Chevy because Dodge shortened their short box. My slide in camper which fit my old 98 Dodge would have stuck out the back of the new Dodge beds. Always a trade off I guess, but at my age, I don't do much off roading. I use my two mules if that is called for.They are the original 4wd

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by saddlesore

Most goose necks can be adjusted to bed heights. My 2019 Chevy is higher than my old Dodge was.No problem though

Originally Posted by Just a Hunter

Did not know that. I should have waited a year then. I went with Chevy because Dodge shortened their short box. My slide in camper which fit my old 98 Dodge would have stuck out the back of the new Dodge beds. Always a trade off I guess, but at my age, I don't do much off roading. I use my two mules if that is called for.They are the original 4wd

That's what I thought after I bought the RAM. Not only did GM change the location of the DEF tank, but also made the cab bigger. Another reason I went with the RAM. I fit in it it better at 6'4".

S
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
S
sure , you can adjust the neck , but you are going to have to keep a minimum clearance of the snout over the box

which means on anything built as high as the Tremor , your trailer will be riding at an angle.......

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
sure , you can adjust the neck , but you are going to have to keep a minimum clearance of the snout over the box

which means on anything built as high as the Tremor , your trailer will be riding at an angle.......

I like to have a little bit of positive set to my goosenecks and tounge pulls. The 22 ft Flat bed I have rides fine with my 2019 Chevy . About the same as it did in my 98 Dodge.I am not familiar with the Tremor though.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
The big coal mine over the hill always bought ford, they live in mud 6-8 months a year. Loggin outfits around here run ford primary, Toyota second. All the hound hunters run Toyota. I wouldn’t even look at dodge personally, Chevy/gmc are light built pavement pounders, couple loggin outfits tried em for crew busses, frames and suspension didn’t last long... I’ve ran nothing but Toyota since I was 16, my choice by miles...

Ping pong balls for the win.
Once you've wrestled everything else in life is easy. Dan Gable
I keep my circle small, I’d rather have 4 quarters than 100 pennies.

Ain’t easy havin pals.
S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Originally Posted by Judman
The big coal mine over the hill always bought ford, they live in mud 6-8 months a year. Loggin outfits around here run ford primary, Toyota second. All the hound hunters run Toyota. I wouldn’t even look at dodge personally, Chevy/gmc are light built pavement pounders, couple loggin outfits tried em for crew busses, frames and suspension didn’t last long... I’ve ran nothing but Toyota since I was 16, my choice by miles...

I wouldn't say my Chevy Duramax 2500HD is pavement pounder with a 23,000 GCVWR.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
That’s cool saddle sore, as long as your happy man..

Ping pong balls for the win.
Once you've wrestled everything else in life is easy. Dan Gable
I keep my circle small, I’d rather have 4 quarters than 100 pennies.

Ain’t easy havin pals.
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Factory new trucks?

My company buys 3200ish pickups a year

Best Is the Raptor. I've had a 2014 and now have a 2018.

Second, by a LONG shot is the 2019.2020 Silverado Trail Boss.

Next the ZR2

Distantly next the Power Wagon

3rd Gen Tacoma Sucks.

Anyone who says different doesn't "use" a truck...

City folks bragging about their adventures are a hoot...

What would make the Power Wagon so far down on your list? I haven't been in one very much (I drove an older one at a dealer that was a used piece of crap though), but always thought with all they offered they would be just the ticket unless you had to go fast.

raghorn Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Made the choice

B.C. don't matter.............Laffin!
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

537 members (1beaver_shooter, 06hunter59, 1badf350, 204guy, 1Longbow, 1OntarioJim, 52 invisible), 2,444 guests, and 1,261 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,308
Posts18,487,182
Members73,968
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.