OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
G

Retired cat herder.

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
ya neat aircraft. lockheed had some interesting stuff. i went to a factory school at lockheed when i was in the AF. i worked on the ground link for one of the sensors on the U2, which is older and still doing the mission.

My diploma is a DD214
A
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
A
Interesting article, I used to see them flying around an area I turkey hunted in, very cool to see inflight!

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Cool azz plane!! I had 3 favorite planes growing up - one was the U2, because the did touch-n-go's at our little community airport for some reason, and I'd ride my bike down there and watch them go damn near vertical at take off. Also, the Voodo F-101, because I built a model of one when I was young and thought the looked cool. My favorite though was the B-25 MItchell. What a work hose of a plane. A while back, my wife got me in the cockpit of one for a ride, for my birthday!

My BIL is a retired AF Colonel. his favorite plane is the A-10. But only because it saved his life about 10 times over in both gulf wars, and Bosnia. I've seen some pics.... of A-10's with about 1/4 of the plane missing, minus one engine. Landed without incident.

He also loves to tell me about how the USA cheats in the air and is essentially unbeatable, but he cannot go into detail, as it is classified. But the overall synopses of the conversations are, "we are 6 moves ahead of the enemy, have already dropped munitions, or have already killed the enemy, before the even know we are in their airspace"

When he started flying A-10's a long time ago, live fire training was performed on a live aircraft, pulled behind a pilot plane. They'd count the bullet holes to score effectiveness. He told me there was a short series of software upgrades (HUD, digital targeting, etc) that made the practice obsolete in less than 12 months. The rate of fire of the A-10 and resulting accuracy from the technology was cutting towed-planes in HALF the second pilots were pulling the trigger!

Cool post, thanks for sharing!

Last edited by duck911; 04/07/20.

The DIPCHIT ADD, after a morning of drinking:

You despair, repeatedly, constantly! daily basis?
A despair ninny.
Sack up, despire ninny.

N
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
N
No such thing as “cheating” in combat!

NRA Life,Endowment,Patron or Benefactor since '72.
IC B2

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Originally Posted by navlav8r

I agree! As I am sure you know, his point was, we don't play fair (superior technology, training, equipment, support, etc). God Bless the USA.

He has only slightly opened up (over 15 years I've known him) about some of his gulf war flights. But I have come to understand from many unsaid moments and awkward pauses, that the 30mm cannon on the nose of that Warthog, was highly, HIGHLY, effective.

The DIPCHIT ADD, after a morning of drinking:

You despair, repeatedly, constantly! daily basis?
A despair ninny.
Sack up, despire ninny.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by navlav8r

Thats right. Theres losers, and there's "cheaters"

PETA - People Eating Tasty Animals
O
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
O
Some years ago a company I had interest in hired a financial officer who was a pilot of the 71 during his service. Great talks and stories we had tho he never would tell all.

Osky

A woman's heart is the hardest rock the Almighty has put on this earth and I can find no sign on it.
L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L

SR71 speed check story

"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take"- Michael Scott
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Broncos are officially the worst team in the nation this year.
IC B3

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
I went through fixed wing performance with a former SR-71 crew chief. He told me how long the preflight took and that was many hours.

The Karma bus always has an empty seat when it comes around.- High Brass

There's battle lines being drawn
Nobody's right if everybody's wrong
G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Late 90's is always stated as to when they were retired... technically I guess, but most were retired in the mid to late 80's. A few were for lack of a better word "modernized" and put under the control of I believe a retired general there at Edwards until '93 or '94 two were given to NASA and the rest were parked outside along a side fence just off the runway. It was a sad site to see. We moved what was left of Rockwell International to a building there just up the way there at Ewards from their old Downey, CA plant during the retrofit of I think 4 of the space shuttles. believe that was in '94 or so.

Phil

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Pretty good writeup on Wiki too:

Blackbird

They have one at the Smithsonian Air and Space museum Dulles. It is about the first thing you see as you walk in. Awesome looking plane. Essentially a fuel tank with wings and engines.

Jerry

Minnesota; Land of 10,000 Taxes
B
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
B
I wonder how high they had to take it before they could open it up?

I'd guess that the air had to be pretty thin at top speed to keep it from burning itself up.

B
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
B
I recall reading about how the X-15 cooked the leading edge of its vertical stabilizer off during a high speed test.

F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
"Skunkworks"...I'm not big on aviation, but a friend recommended it. One of the best non fiction books I've ever read. Couldn't put it down, fascinating.

Well this is a fine pickle we're in, should'a listened to Joe McCarthy and George Orwell I guess.
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Excellent.... smile smile

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Now that they’re long retired it’s safe to let out that the published ceiling was much lower than actual ceiling. My friend is a retired air traffic controller out of Hilliard Florida. He could see them come up and do a lap to warm the aircraft up to seal the fuel tanks. Then they would drop back down to meet a tanker to fill up. He said he saw them at the edge of space. Well past 100k. An amazing plane and the pinnacle of actual human engineering. It was the last major engineering achievement done without computers. All done with slide rules.

‘TO LEARN WHO RULES OVER YOU, SIMPLY FIND OUT WHO YOU ARE NOT ALLOWED TO CRITICIZE’

Conspiracy theorists are the ones who see it all coming…

You are the carbon they want to eliminate !

I’m Uber Deplorable Ultra MAGA !
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I've told this before, but at the reunion of Forward Air Controllers held at the USAF Museum in Dayton, a former SR-71 pilot got into the Guinness Book by flying the museum's Wright Flyer, the only person ever to fly both.

Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Originally Posted by RockyRaab
I've told this before, but at the reunion of Forward Air Controllers held at the USAF Museum in Dayton, a former SR-71 pilot got into the Guinness Book by flying the museum's Wright Flyer, the only person ever to fly both.

That’s really cool !

‘TO LEARN WHO RULES OVER YOU, SIMPLY FIND OUT WHO YOU ARE NOT ALLOWED TO CRITICIZE’

Conspiracy theorists are the ones who see it all coming…

You are the carbon they want to eliminate !

I’m Uber Deplorable Ultra MAGA !
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

567 members (06hunter59, 16penny, 16gage, 160user, 10gaugeman, 1beaver_shooter, 61 invisible), 2,808 guests, and 1,242 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,623
Posts18,492,798
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.