Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by EthanEdwards
Originally Posted by Son_of_the_Gael
Originally Posted by EthanEdwards
"Prods" is hate-speech.

What about Sassenach?

Níl imní orm faoi labhairt cac ar agus fu ck ing sassenach.

All in fun. Well, mostly.

'Four legs good, two legs baaaad."
----------------------------------------------
"Jimmy, some of it's magic,
Some of it's tragic,
But I had a good life all the way."
(Jimmy Buffett)

SotG
GB1

K
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
K
Originally Posted by 700LH
Originally Posted by Greyghost
Mostly a mix of Black Irish and Blackfoot Sioux

Phil

Please define "black Irish"

Ulster Scots?

Founder
Ancient Order of the 1895 Winchester

"Come, shall we go and kill us venison?
And yet it irks me the poor dappled fools,
Being native burghers of this desert city,
Should in their own confines with forked heads
Have their round haunches gored."

WS

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by kaywoodie

Phil

Ulster Scots?

Apperently several used throughout history. I was curious about what Phils was.

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by Birdwatcher
The O'Birdy's, or at least my O'Birdy's, were from Southwest Cork, one of the poorest regions in Ireland and hard hit by the famine. Near as we can gather we were established as Merchant Marine in Queenstown (Cork Harbor) by that time, tho throngs of the starving and desperate showed up there.

A million died in the famine, the other seven million people in Ireland at that time did not. I do wonder what hard choices my ancestors had to make to stay alive during those years.

If you get a chance to view it, watch the movie “Black 47”.

The degree of my privacy is no business of yours.

What we've learned from history is that we haven't learned from it.
K
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
K

Phil

Ulster Scots?

Apperently several used throughout history. I was curious about what Phils was.

Please forgive! Understood! 😉

Founder
Ancient Order of the 1895 Winchester

"Come, shall we go and kill us venison?
And yet it irks me the poor dappled fools,
Being native burghers of this desert city,
Should in their own confines with forked heads
Have their round haunches gored."

WS

IC B2

B
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
B

Phil

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O

Phil

Ulster Scots?

Black Irish:

When the whole Spanish Armada set out to destroy England they feel into a vicious storm in the Irish Sea and the Armada, as a threatening force, was no more.

Spaniards who managed to survive the storm mostly washed ashore off the coast of Ireland. As the Irish hated the English, they took in the Spanish survivors who intermarried within the Irish culture producing some of the most beautiful women the world has ever known having jet black hair and blue/green eyes.

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O

Phil

Proof that the American Indians phhuuccckkked buffalo.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by 5sdad

That reminds me that I wrote a paper on the Potato Famine for a history course in college. Seems like the blame lay on The Corn Laws. Wonder where that paper could be.

[Linked Image from live.staticflickr.com]

Going on four years back now I bicycled through this place, Abbeystrowry just outside of Skibbereen, County Cork. It was a Wednesday evening and, as luck would have it, there was an outdoor Catholic Mass about to start.

I swear, all the congregation looked like my blood kin, and the kindly grey-haired Irish Priest was straight out of Central Casting.

He gave a pretty interesting sermon. First off, a million plus suddenly without food would be hard to deal with even today, let alone in the UK in the 1840's. Then he went on at length to describe the many charitable organizations that began, in England and elsewhere, to raise funds and send food to the worst-hit areas (heck, here in the US even the Choctaws sent money). In particular, he singled out a group of British University students who were extraordinarily effective.

I think the moral of his story was that history written simplistically in black and white is usually wrong.

The famine? I blame a fungus.

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O

That reminds me that I wrote a paper on the Potato Famine for a history course in college. Seems like the blame lay on The Corn Laws. Wonder where that paper could be.

Going on four years back now I bicycled through this place, Abbeystrowry just outside of Skibbereen, County Cork. It was a Wednesday evening and, as luck would have it, there was an outdoor Catholic Mass about to start.

I swear, all the congregation looked like my blood kin, and the kindly grey-haired Irish Priest was straight out of Central Casting.

He gave a pretty interesting sermon. First off, a million plus suddenly without food would be hard to deal with even today, let alone in the UK in the 1840's. Then he went on at length to describe the many charitable organizations that began, in England and elsewhere, to raise funds and send food to the worst-hit areas (heck, here in the US even the Choctaws sent money). In particular, he singled out a group of British University students who were extraordinarily effective.

I think the moral of his story was that history written simplistically in black and white is usually wrong.

The potato blight came from Mexico to Ireland.

IC B3

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Old_Toot

The potato blight came from Mexico to Ireland.

The famine? I blame the Mexicans.

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter

Groid.

l told my pap and mam I was going to be a mountain man; acted like they was gut-shot. Make your life go here. Here's where the peoples is. Mother Gue, I says, the Rocky Mountains is the marrow of the world, and by God, I was right.
- Del Gue
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by BillyGoatGruff
The only reason nobody "conquered" Ireland was there was nothing there worth the effort, except raiding for slaves. It's really that simple.

Have you ever been to Ireland?

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana

The idea wasn't that The Corn Laws caused the famine, but that they prevented its mitigation.

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
U
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
U
Originally Posted by Salty303
The only reason nobody "conquered" Ireland was there was nothing there worth the effort, except raiding for slaves. It's really that simple.

I've been to Ireland and he's somewhat correct. Ireland is extremely poor in natural resources. That's why they burnt peat for heat. No coal, no metallic ores, not great farming land. etc.

A
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
A
Not sure if conquered is the correct word or not, but the Scandinavians had a strong presence in Ireland for centuries. A lot of those red-haired Irish lasses probably
inherited more of their features from some scruffy Danish pig thief than they did from any Celtic princess.

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by UPhiker

I've been to Ireland and he's somewhat correct. Ireland is extremely poor in natural resources. That's why they burnt peat for heat. No coal, no metallic ores, not great farming land. etc.

We found some oil in the Irish Sea. I don’t think anything has been developed to date. It was dicey as to being declared Commercial but I don’t know if further delineation was ever done to prove or disprove it as such. The arrangement was called “Tight Hole”. Some here know what that means. It relates to the sharing of information about the activities.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

They have mined coal for eons. They are almost out though but so is coal.
They've been the bread basket of the region for a long time they still are. I was reading a newspaper over there last year and England for one relies on them a lot. Yes there's a lot of barren rocky ground on the north and west sides but there's some of the best farm land going otherwise. For most of their time they've had excellent fisheries inshore and off shore.

Anyways the Vikings and the Brits thought the place was OK they both invaded. They were under siege by the Brits for 800 years and the Vikings before. No one invaded because they were already invaded. They were though never conquered. And recently they had one of the best economic runs that side of the Atlantic ever in the 2000s known as "The Celtic Tiger"

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by auk1124
Not sure if conquered is the correct word or not, but the Scandinavians had a strong presence in Ireland for centuries. A lot of those red-haired Irish lasses probably
inherited more of their features from some scruffy Danish pig thief than they did from any Celtic princess.

The Vikings did a few things right.

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O

They have mined coal for eons. They are almost out though but so is coal.
They've been the bread basket of the region for a long time they still are. I was reading a newspaper over there last year and England for one relies on them a lot. Yes there's a lot of barren rocky ground on the north and west sides but there's some of the best farm land going otherwise. For most of their time they've had excellent fisheries inshore and off shore.

Anyways the Vikings and the Brits thought the place was OK they both invaded. They were under siege by the Brits for 800 years and the Vikings before. No one invaded because they were already invaded. They were though never conquered. And recently they had one of the best economic runs that side of the Atlantic ever in the 2000s known as "The Celtic Tiger"

Several major industries set up shop there for the tax benefits that Ireland offers,,,,,,,,kinda like Trump has done.

Page 3 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

548 members (007FJ, 257Bob, 06hunter59, 2500HD, 10gaugeman, 1234, 55 invisible), 12,206 guests, and 1,060 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,195,255
Posts18,544,565
Members74,060
Most Online21,066
May 26th, 2024

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.