Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by GregW
Originally Posted by jwp475
Originally Posted by Sitka deer
I have both and have used both. No doubt comfort goes to angled, but if it is serious, straight is the only option for me. Many times I have been there when those with angled spotters could not find the critter, period. Speed in finding critters goes to the straight by a lot.

There is definately a learning curve to find game quickly with an angled spotter. I dedicated myself to learning and now have zero trouble finding game with mya angled

So people who use straight scopes suffer from a learning curve or lack of dedication in learning to be proficient? Copy that...

I don't know what they do or don't suffer from. I just know that I had problems at first and thought I'd made a mistake bug with a bit of practice I learned to acquire a picture quickly

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Brad
Most angled don’t rotate, so really not funny at all...

On the angled Swarovskis the scope body rides inside a ring built into the base/shoe. Pull the pin (mushroom looking cap with the 4 slots shown low on the ring) and rotate the body to change the eyepiece’s clocked position. From the truck and off the bench I rotate it 90 degrees.

I can’t swear that all scopes have this feature but on every mid-level and up angled spotter I have been around has some version of rotation.

Attached Images
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by GregW
I have both and have used both. No doubt comfort goes to angled, but if it is serious, straight is the only option for me. Many times I have been there when those with angled spotters could not find the critter, period. Speed in finding critters goes to the straight by a lot.

There is definately a learning curve to find game quickly with an angled spotter. I dedicated myself to learning and now have zero trouble finding game with mya angled

So people who use straight scopes suffer from a learning curve or lack of dedication in learning to be proficient? Copy that...

I don't know what they do or don't suffer from. I just know that I had problems at first and thought I'd made a mistake bug with a bit of practice I learned to acquire a picture quickly

I know lots of guys with lots of experience that have gone to straight scopes. I do not know many that have gone the other way. And I do know quite a few serious guys with serious time behind glass that like angled, so I am not going to say they are wrong. For me, straight is the only way for serious stuff.

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
If I could afford to have more than one good quality spotter, I’d probably have a couple of each in different sizes for different uses. But if I’m only to have one, then angled is for me.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Straight.....

IC B2

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B

WOW J dub, pompous obviously but wondering if it is more from arrogance or ignorance ?????

For many years I was a guide assistant on Desert and Rocky Mountain Bighorn sheep (still have never been on a Dall or Stone hunt). It was standard glassing to have 10X binos, 15X binos on a tripod and a spotter. In many glassing points using all 3. It was so counter intuitive going back and forth from the 15X binos to the angled spotter that it was an easy decision to have a straight spotter. Clients often brought angled spotters with them on their hunts, few if any left thinking it was a better choice. You can flat out spot game faster and easier with a straight

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by boatanchor

WOW J dub, pompous obviously but wondering if it is more from arrogance or ignorance ?????

For many years I was a guide assistant on Desert and Rocky Mountain Bighorn sheep (still have never been on a Dall or Stone hunt). It was standard glassing to have 10X binos, 15X binos on a tripod and a spotter. In many glassing points using all 3. It was so counter intuitive going back and forth from the 15X binos to the angled spotter that it was an easy decision to have a straight spotter. Clients often brought angled spotters with them on their hunts, few if any left thinking it was a better choice. You can flat out spot game faster and easier with a straight

I figured if I can do others can I guess I am wrong. I didn't find it that difficult once I got past the learning curve. Kinda like welding with a mirror, not that difficult once you get past the learning curve

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J

Apparently more can operate them properly than can't

Originally Posted by gr8fuldoug

It's actually more like 8 angled to 1 straight. It's so much so that some mfg's don't offer straight

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M

For me, my preference for angled isn’t about spotting game faster or easier. It’s the fact that the angled allows me a whole lot more flexibility for getting comfortable behind the spotting scope, no matter if I’m looking upward angle or downward. For me getting comfortable behind a spotting scope in the mountains = better and more time glassing. This has turned out to be more important for me hunting Stone Sheep , goats, etc.

Last edited by mod7rem; 04/13/20.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by cumminscowboy
I think it depends on what you do with the spotter. if you glass with it, angled is probably the most comfortable. if you just want to identify straight is better. I have a straight spotter, but the next spotter I get I am going to try and angled 50 mm vorted razor. doug say the ratio of straight to angled is 2:5 with angled being more common

It's actually more like 8 angled to 1 straight. It's so much so that some mfg's don't offer straight

That's interesting. I prefer angled, but when looking out my car window on a mount, straight is better.

IC B3

T
Tejano Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
T
If I upgrade I will look for a spotter that has interchangeable lenses if this doesn't limit my choices too much. The compact angled one works well off a bench but still leaning towards a straight lens for a larger scope for hunting and birding.

"When you disarm the people, you commence to offend them and show that you distrust them either through cowardice or lack of confidence, and both of these opinions generate hatred." Niccolo Machiavelli
S
SLM Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Had this conversation with some guys this weekend.

The split seems to be between those that “glass” with a spotter and those that judge/verify with a spotter.

You that can glass with a spotter are tougher than I.

Originally Posted by mod7rem
For me, my preference for angled isn’t about spotting game faster or easier. It’s the fact that the angled allows me a whole lot more flexibility for getting comfortable behind the spotting scope, no matter if I’m looking upward angle or downward. For me getting comfortable behind a spotting scope in the mountains = better and more time glassing. This has turned out to be more important for me hunting Stone Sheep , goats, etc.

J
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
J
I like straight.

Ping pong balls for the win.
Once you've wrestled everything else in life is easy. Dan Gable
I keep my circle small, I’d rather have 4 quarters than 100 pennies.

Ain’t easy havin pals.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna

Apparently more can operate them properly than can't

Just because something is popular does not mean it is best for any given operation. I find that especially true in this case. There is zero doubt angled spotters are best from the bench. Not even the first hint of a question there. For spotting game there is a question. And lots of the answers bleed over from bench experience. But as I said earlier there are lots of folks with lots of experience, obviously including you, preferring angled.

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A

You're looking for something to be offended about if you had a problem with his post.

Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

699 members (007FJ, 10ring1, 10gaugemag, 1beaver_shooter, 160user, 75 invisible), 3,027 guests, and 1,318 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,106
Posts18,483,278
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.