Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by OldmanoftheSea
What is a medium sized 12-14"wing span woodland (ground dwelling/feeding) Bird with a back and dorsal wing surface pattern similar to a black rail? (Red-brown with white spots/flecks). Quiet, didn't burst like a grouse, from the posterior in flight view had a M-profile. Never got a look at its head but it went quietly from ground to trees...

Helps to know what part of the country you're in.

Geno

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Cranes have been back about a month now. I get serenaded by a pair or two every morning and evening.

RW blackbirds about the same. Meadowlarks 2 weeks now, saw a pair of bluebirds looking at a box about the same time frame, but they seem to have left. Smattering of Brewer's blackbirds. Saw a swallow about 6 days ago, bunches at the local refuge the other day. Black necked stilts and cinnamon teal there, along with a pile of gulls. Killdeer in our neighborhood too. Robins overwinter here, feeding on the juniper berries, most have left for the forests now. Same with the juncos, a couple of pairs here. The big flocks of Pinyon Jays have broken up, we have a pair or two still hanging around for the peanuts I put out. Waiting to see the Say's phoebe and Townsend's solitaire show up, if even for a few days. Spotted towhee was here for a day or two.

No hummers yet, but if they're in Utah I better get the feeder out.

Wildflowers are blooming though.

Geno

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
We have blue wing teal on our hunting lease in South Louisiana by the hundreds if not in the thousands. Taking a break headed back north.

They are as hard to photograph as they are to shoot.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

W
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
W
Started to see robins, then the meadowlarks, followed by wood ducks and long billed curlews in the last few weeks. Snow and 17*f this morning but warming back up next week.

T
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
T
Cow birds are great for eating the bugs around cattle, but are heck on baby quail. I've never seen a cow bird eat baby quail, but I've seen them eat a lot of mice while I was rotary mowing pastures.

Life is good live it while you can.
IC B2

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

524 members (1minute, 22250rem, 1lessdog, 1badf350, 16penny, 204guy, 52 invisible), 2,347 guests, and 1,204 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,912
Posts18,498,283
Members73,983
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.