Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
A
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
A
In the market forb new pellet smoker. Pretty well have it narrowed down to the Rec Tec 700, the MAK 2 Star General, or the Pitts & Spitts Stainless Maverick 850. The MAK and Pitts & Spitts are a lot more money, but I'm willing to spend the money if they're worth it. Currently leaning towards the MAK. Thoughts?

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Have you checked into the Kamado style charcoal kettle cookers like the Big Green Egg, Primo, or the Kamado Joe? They're famous for low and slow smoking as well as high temp grilling, and everything in between.

Use with real hardwood big chunk charcoal like FOGO Charcoal

"All that the South has ever desired was that the Union, as established by our forefathers, should be preserved, and that the government, as originally organized, should be administered in purity and truth." – Robert E. Lee
W
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
W
I've been looking at the Yoder pellet grill

A
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
A
Originally Posted by OrangeOkie
Have you checked into the Kamado style charcoal kettle cookers like the Big Green Egg, Primo, or the Kamado Joe? They're famous for low and slow smoking as well as high temp grilling, and everything in between.

I've used theirs of those, but need something that is more set and forget. Need to be able to do overnight cooks on it without babysitting.

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
There is nothing more set and forget than a Big Green Egg.

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
All 3 look great. The Mak looks even better.

Broncos are officially the worst team in the nation this year.
A
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
A
Originally Posted by WestMont
I've been looking at the Yoder pellet grill

Yoder makes a great smoker as well just decided I prefer the Rec Tec if I stay within that price range. Definitely open to others, just haven't seen others that interest me. Trying to keep it under 3k, total and I'd be into it for about half that with the Rec Tec including accessories if it's as good. I'm generally of the buy once cry once mindset. At this point I'm leaning away from the Rec Tec and probably toward the MAK out of the other 2.

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
My pellet smoker cost $9.95 on Ebay- - - - -works like a champ! I'm planning to BBQ another Boston Butt next weekend.
Jerry

Ignorance can be fixed. Stupid is forever!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by ammoman16

I've used theirs of those, but need something that is more set and forget. Need to be able to do overnight cooks on it without babysitting.

Easy peasy. I personally use this $49 attachment to the smoke stack . . . TipTopTemp Attachable Grill Temperature Regulator TTT- Is very accurate, reliable, and no electronics. Uses a precision spring, like you find in your hall thermostat, to move the top air vent open or closed. I've done a 14 hour cook. So simple to use.

[Linked Image]
I used a piece of 6 inch to 5 inch flew pipe to fit my Tip Top to my Large Big Green Egg
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image from images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com]

Or you can go electronic with the $300 Smobot . . . my son uses one

"All that the South has ever desired was that the Union, as established by our forefathers, should be preserved, and that the government, as originally organized, should be administered in purity and truth." – Robert E. Lee
A
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
A

Easy peasy. I personally use this $49 attachment to the smoke stack . . . TipTopTemp Attachable Grill Temperature Regulator TTT- Is very accurate, reliable, and no electronics. Uses a precision spring, like you find in your hall thermostat, to move the top air vent open or closed. I've done a 14 hour cook. So simple to use.

[Linked Image]
I used a piece of 6 inch to 5 inch flew pipe to fit my Tip Top to my Large Big Green Egg
[Linked Image]

That sure does make it easier. Some of the cooks can take 15-18 hours.

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

That sure does make it easier. Some of the cooks can take 15-18 hours.

The egg can hold alot of charcoal.

One of the things that changed my mind on any of the pellet grills was they were made by the chicoms. Lots of cheap, electronics that, according to the reviews, break easily. Also too many moving parts that jam up and break. My motto is KISS.

Last edited by OrangeOkie; 04/11/20.

A
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
A
I think the MAK is 100% American made, including the electronics I get your point about moving parts though.

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
My smoker is an 18" long 2" square tube made of stainless steel mesh. Fill it with pellets, light it with a Propane torch, and blow the flames out after it gets a good burn going. I prop it up at a 45 degree angle in a 4-burner gas grill and adjust the flame on two burners to get a 275 degree temp in the closed compartment. The pellets smolder at the rate of approximately 1" per hour and a 20 Lb. Propane tank will burn for 3 days at that temp setting. Most of the Boston butts I smoke take from 12 to 16 hours to reach an internal temp of 200 degrees, which is where the fat carmelizes and self-bastes the lean meat. Any more than 6 hours of smoke is too much. The rest of the cooking time could be done with a turkey roaster or a kitchen oven- - - - -it's just heat once the smoke flavor is accomplished.
Jerry

A
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
A
Those smoke tubes work well, just not what I'm looking for at the moment. I definitely want something that is thermo statically controlled that I can leave unattended for a while and know my temp is where I want regardless of what the air temp and wind do.

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Different strokes- - - - - -etc. I got over bragging about how much my toys cost a few decades ago! I also ride a 33 year old Harley that I paid for out of pocket, and it gets me where I want to go as well as a brand new one that would bust the budget!
Jerry

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

One of the things that changed my mind on any of the pellet grills was they were made by the chicoms. Lots of cheap, electronics that, according to the reviews, break easily. Also too many moving parts that jam up and break. My motto is KISS.

Yoder is more likely made by the Mennonites than the Chinese. Made in central Kansas. Oil field fab shop got slow back a few years ago in a down turn. Started making grills to keep his guys busy. Granted, controllers might be chicom...but the fabricated steel components are domestic. Built hell for stout from what a few of my friends have said with first hand experience.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Cheesy

Yoder is more likely made by the Mennonites than the Chinese. Made in central Kansas. Oil field fab shop got slow back a few years ago in a down turn. Started making grills to keep his guys busy. Granted, controllers might be chicom...but the fabricated steel components are domestic. Built hell for stout from what a few of my friends have said with first hand experience.

Duly noted as well as the Mak smoker, made in the USA. Thanks. So the best comparison is between USA made smokers like Yoder and Mak and USA made Kamado style Smoker like Primo. It's definitely a personal choice.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I think I'd like to have a cooker like tthis.

[video:vimeo]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FO3HEczqGeE&t=14s[/video]

Randy
NRA
Patriot Life Benefactor

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
I went with smokin brothers. Premier series...

https://smokinbrothers.com/product/smokin-brothers-30-premier-wood-pellet-grill/

Blaz’n is another one to research

http://www.blazngrillworks.com/about-us

Last edited by wagner; 04/12/20.

Are you part of the problem or part of the solution?
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Love my pellet smoker a Yoder YS 480 with competition cart $2,000 Also have the Large big green egg grill $1,000 bucks.Like them both.

Last edited by coobie; 04/12/20.
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

571 members (1badf350, 12344mag, 219 Wasp, 01Foreman400, 1minute, 007FJ, 57 invisible), 2,535 guests, and 1,221 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,711
Posts18,514,006
Members74,010
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.