Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
broomd Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Went to fire up the Honda ST1300 sport touring bike and 'click'.......blinking dash light aka 'F1 code.'

Dug into it and soon found the reason why.
Not only had rodents taken up residence on the throttle body, they thoroughly enjoyed feasting on Honda's 'earth-friendly' soy based wiring!
New (&(&&#@ sub-harness on the way along with, wait for it, Honda's fix: Genuine Honda Anti-rodent chili-pepper infused electrical tape. part number 4019-2317.
Apparently all new wiring should be over-coated with this pepper tape.

Anyone else deal with this soy wire crap with a Honda product?

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Don't have a fix, but seems mothballs are supposed to be a repellant. About every couple of years one of our rigs gets hit by a pack rat while parked at a trailhead for few days. They just enjoy tearing stuff up.

Buddy at work once had a ton of exposed wiring for environmental monitoring equipment going from about 5 open green houses to a central logger. Nothing was touched for about 6 years, then one spring it was like every rodent in the country turned on it. UV or oxidation of some sort must have converted the insulation into some kind of tasty morsel.

Last edited by 1minute; 04/12/20.

1Minute
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
One More Bite II.

Sold at feed stores. Yellow brick looking.

Kills em dead. Rats amd mice.

Dave

�The man who complains about the way the ball bounces is likely to be the one who dropped it.� Lou Holtz

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
not wiring yet. lucky. of course we don't own anything new. Not in a long time anyway.

What I've seen hit was soy based somehow either glue or rubber roof coating on RV campers. Buzzards smelled it and tore either 2 or 3 roofs off at the deer lease one year. Thankfully we own and ancient trailer... LOL at the time. The new one we bought last year, well lets hope like hell... and its survived 2 seasons at deer camp now.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
S
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
S
They have done a lot of damage to my car.

Now they are gone.

IC B2

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
My friend bought s trail cam a few years back that sends pics back through a cell network. We set it up and got a few great pics of an elk staring into it before it went dead. Went to check it and the elk had chewed up the antenna and ate the plastic coating off of it.

Ordered a new antenna and tried it again and another elk ate the antenna again the first day. Tried it one more time and the 3rd antenna was immediately eaten. He gave up after that because the antennas were expensive and took a week to get so the season was pretty much over.

Bb

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
Evidently Yamaha uses the same stuff because they ate the wiring harness on a buddy's Rhino.

I buy rat poison by the bucket and keep it out all around my shop. Seems to have stopped the problems.

W
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
W
Rats and rabbits. A friend of mine askes that we help exterminate them at his place. They eat the wiring on everything out there.
22 practice

If you hunt with your kids. You should not have to hunt for your kids.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
It’s not just Honda. They have a penchant for German Cars too, particularly Mercedes and VW/Audi. I use Tom’s rodent blocks, ultrasonic plug in repellers and also sprinkle a few mothballs under my cars every few weeks. No issues so far. Chipmunks and field mice seems to be the main culprits in our locale.

Last edited by badger; 04/12/20.

To anger a conservative, lie to him. To annoy a liberal, tell him the truth.

Promoted to Turdlike status 03/17/12

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Ha! Soy based wiring ??? What could POSSIBLY Go Wrong ?😬

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
IC B3

V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
Broomd: Darn that hurts - I hope you can fix it yourself?
My friend down on Big Sheep Creek has had several of his vehicles "wires eaten"! One time the total bill and towing cost him $1,100.00. That was a Volkswagen diesel car. His wifes Toyota SUV got eaten to the tune of $800.00 but that one was driveable to the dealership anyway.
This wire eating has been going on for many years now - but 20, 30 40 years ago it seemed to NOT be a problem. Now and then a Pack rat would make a nest in a lesser used vehicle but eating wires was unknown back then.
Good luck with your motorcycle.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Ford uses it also on their vehicles

broomd Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by VarmintGuy
Broomd: Darn that hurts - I hope you can fix it yourself?
My friend down on Big Sheep Creek has had several of his vehicles "wires eaten"! One time the total bill and towing cost him $1,100.00. That was a Volkswagen diesel car. His wifes Toyota SUV got eaten to the tune of $800.00 but that one was driveable to the dealership anyway.
This wire eating has been going on for many years now - but 20, 30 40 years ago it seemed to NOT be a problem. Now and then a Pack rat would make a nest in a lesser used vehicle but eating wires was unknown back then.
Good luck with your motorcycle.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Yeah, I got this, but what a pita.....

I thought the Honda branded pepper tape was a put on, but some research confirmed it to be true. I ordered it and will apply to new sub-harness liberally.
I also be using an ultrasonic gizmo as referenced above.

Thanks for the insights fellas......helpful.

H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
I keep my utility trailer at deer camp to haul deer and firewood. Rodents eat the wiring harness like its made of peanut butter.

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by BigDave39355
One More Bite II.

Sold at feed stores. Yellow brick looking.

Kills em dead. Rats amd mice.

Gonna try this.
Thanks.

The degree of my privacy is no business of yours.

What we've learned from history is that we haven't learned from it.
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Originally Posted by broomd
Honda's fix: Genuine Honda Anti-rodent chili-pepper infused electrical tape. part number 4019-2317.
Apparently all new wiring should be over-coated with this pepper tape.

I thought you were yokin' with us!

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Honda-4019-2317-4019-2317-Tape-Rodent-19Mm-20M-40192317/814457385

Cholula tape! Whod'a thunk it.

The DIPCHIT ADD, after a morning of drinking:

You despair, repeatedly, constantly! daily basis?
A despair ninny.
Sack up, despire ninny.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Its a wide spread problem all kinds of vehicles. There's some trail heads in parks here up in the mountains where its signed to seal up the undercarriage of you vehicle with chicken wire if you're doing an over night hike. The culprit up there... marmots, also attracted to the coating on the wiring of vehicles.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Salty303
Its a wide spread problem all kinds of vehicles. There's some trail heads in parks here up in the mountains where its signed to seal up the undercarriage of you vehicle with chicken wire if you're doing an over night hike. The culprit up there... marmots, also attracted to the coating on the wiring of vehicles.

That’s crazy.

Originally Posted by 16penny
If you put Taco Bell sauce in your ramen noodles it tastes just like poverty
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Other than that, how do you like your Honda?

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Mostly squirrels have chewed up the wiring on my yamaha r1 - they get shot on sight with a pellet gun . Some poison product like BigDave mentioned - looks like the old candy 'chick-o-stick' i ate as a kid - they walk around drunk looking when the pizon is getting them .

PRESIDENT TRUMP 2024/2028 !!!!!!!!!!

Posted by Bristoe
The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

538 members (01Foreman400, 1beaver_shooter, 21, 10gaugeman, 12344mag, 10Glocks, 67 invisible), 2,429 guests, and 1,241 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,447
Posts18,489,641
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.