Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by WyoCoyoteHunter
How would you know how a bigger gun works.. Hit in the vitals, the elk will die.. How soon is the question.. More destruction faster death..

I've used everything from the 7-08 to the 338 Win Mag... I've never seen a difference how "fast" they die. In fact the quickest elk I've had die was with the 7-08 - an old 8.5 yo bull that gave up the ghost almost on his feet.

Most guys that push magnums have limited experience with lighter cartridges. Their biases/assumptions led them to magnums, and they plant their flag there...

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
GB1

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by Brad
Originally Posted by WyoCoyoteHunter
How would you know how a bigger gun works.. Hit in the vitals, the elk will die.. How soon is the question.. More destruction faster death..

I've used everything from the 7-08 to the 338 Win Mag... I've never seen a difference how "fast" they die. In fact the quickest elk I've had die was with the 7-08 - an old 8.5 yo bull that gave up the ghost almost on his feet.

Most guys that push magnums have limited experience with lighter cartridges. Their biases/assumptions led them to magnums, and they plant their flag there...

Well Brad, my wife has been killing elk since 1974. And has used....243’s, 264 WM’s, 270 Win’s and the .338 WM. She is quite competent with her .338 WM, and has no desire to use a lesser cartridge for elk, moose, bear, etc! So, she has experience ....and much prefers the “magnum”! memtb

Last edited by memtb; 04/14/20.

You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong." -Bob Hagel

“I’d like to be a good rifleman…..but, I prefer to be a good hunter”! memtb 2024
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by memtb
Well Brad, my wife has been killing elk since 1974. And has used....243’s, 264 WM’s, 270 Win’s and the .338 WM. She is quite competent with her .338 WM, and has no desire to use a lesser cartridge for elk, moose, bear, etc! So, she has experience ....and much prefers the “magnum”! memtb

So the elk didn't die with her 270?

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by Brad

So the elk didn't die with her 270?

Yes, several died! In fact with the proper conditions, a .22 rim fire can very effectively kill an elk....but, that doesn’t make it a “proper” choice! Overall, she’s merely had much better and faster results with the .338 WM. We’re all entitled to our opinions, often formed by years of experiences....both good and bad! Obviously, most any cartridge can kill an elk.....with proper placement of the projectile. Some hunters can effectively use a magnum cartridge....and some cannot. To each his or her own.....only the shooter/hunter can make the determination what is best for them! memtb

You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong." -Bob Hagel

“I’d like to be a good rifleman…..but, I prefer to be a good hunter”! memtb 2024
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
You said the 30/06 was your Dad's rifle. No brainer to me------take it----Your Dad will be there too.

IC B2

P
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
P
I understand the "need" for a new rifle however the 6.5x55 has been killing large animals for what 127 years? Light handy and the definition of hunting rifle. How well do you shoot it?

Elevation is math
Windage is Voodoo
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Dang, a lot of you trying to talk the op into using what he already has. Shame on you guys...

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

A lot of this is retread, but I realize that there is another generation of hunters here and/or guys that are new to the ‘Fire.

I remember Bob Milek writing in maybe the ‘80’s about the 338 Mag for elk; Ross Seyfried extolling the virtues of the 340 for big, big game, in maybe ‘90 or ‘91, and Craig Boddington, also, writing about the 340 and the particularly the 8mm RM for elk.

And then their was Bob Hagel writing about using the 378 Wby for a Shiras moose in Idaho or Wy. Not to mention Elmer Kieth — didn't he mention that the 270 would make a good “varmint rifle” or something similar?

This was back during the time of magazines some of which tilted toward hunting while others tilted toward rifles and cartridges that loony guys like me got their information from. Not living in elk country and with little or no experience, gun writers were the source of information. They were hugely influential in driving the market though I don’t ever remember John Barseness, here, advising big cartridges for elk.

So, it isn’t just clinical question of what’s right for elk. There are hunters for which the rifle and cartridge are no different than a pliers — a tool — and who don’t know and don’t care much about the details. And then there are loony’s who drool over every new cartridge, and back then, magnum cartridges especially, and like to shoot them.

So in short, I ended up hunting about twenty years with a 340 and taking about 9 or ten bulls with it. First, because I thought it or something like it was almost necessary; secondly, because I thoroughly enjoyed it and the rifle it was in, though realizing after awhile, it wasn’t needed especially after bullets took a huge leap ahead in quality and integrity.

My last bull was taken handily in ‘18 with a 284 Win with the TTSX 140-gr bullet. There are now a slew of cartridges from 6.5 to 375 with a good bullet that can readily be used for elk without apology and there are no doubt hundreds of opinions as to which is best. Possibly, within reason, there are more right answers than wrong ones. There are too many variables to be dogmatic about it.

The one thing I am cautious about is recommending a big magnum to a new elk hunter, not because it might not be a great elk cartridge but because the big cartridges take more work to do well with than the smaller cartridges. Just a simple fact.

Apparently, I have too much time on my hands. 🙂. And this is probably not worth much more than what you paid for it. 🤔

S
SLDUCK Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
Just letting g u guys know I am not new to high power. Shoot all my guns equal. Shoot them all often. Recoil not a problem. I dont see much difference with another 10 ft lbs of recoil with s 338. I have a 1917 sporter in 30 06. Maybe i will just rebore to 358 norma and push the envelope

S
SLDUCK Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
Or maybe 340 weatherby

IC B3

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
only the shooter/hunter can make the determination what is best for them! memtb

Indeed, but this thread is about reccomending a rifle to a guy none of us know.

Given that the man’s current arsenal is heavier blued/wood rifles, it seems like folly to reccomend a magnum in another heavy platform. Hence my reccomendation of a lightish stainless/plastic rifle. It’s a rifle he can use here in the Rockies or home in MN. If there’s more of a “Classic Western Cartridge” than the 270, I don’t know what it is.

Course, I’d be curious about his binoculars... those are a hell of a lot more important than the rifle he’s carrying.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Yeah, the two “B’s” — boots and binoculars.

S
SLDUCK Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
Danner and zeiss on the b and b. Kenetrek to

S
SLDUCK Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
Zeiss conquest 10x. Elk hunters and grouse models on dannerd plus 12 inch kenetrek pacs

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Ain’t been a bad choice in the bunch. I’m with George, Brad, BSA and the like. Every suggestion has been good. I’ve hunted a pretty fair amount with a 338 Win and 7 mag, either a Mashburn or Rem Mag. My opinion is pick out a rifle you really like from 7-08 on up, get it shooting to your satisfaction with a really great bullet and forget about the rest.

Good luck and agreed, Boots’s, bins and rangefinder are key pieces of my gear.

Semper Fi
L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Everything you have will work fine. If 400 yards is a true possibility, I would choose the 6.5x55. WIth 140 PT or AB, you would have no problem. A good pair of binoculars would be of more use than another gun.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by beretzs
Ain’t been a bad choice in the bunch. I’m with George, Brad, BSA and the like. Every suggestion has been good. I’ve hunted a pretty fair amount with a 338 Win and 7 mag, either a Mashburn or Rem Mag. My opinion is pick out a rifle you really like from 7-08 on up, get it shooting to your satisfaction with a really great bullet and forget about the rest.

Great post buddy. Id also add gaiters to that list. I use kenetrek and they sure are nice.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
Originally Posted by beretzs

Great post buddy. Id also add gaiters to that list. I use kenetrek and they sure are nice.

YES! Good point. I use OR's myself, but definitely a great pair of gaiters is not optional for me.

Semper Fi
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
To each their own....If there's not at least 6" or so of snow on the ground, gaiters are a no go for me. They're too hot, and I honestly have not seen much need for them without snow. Wet bushes just cause water to run down the inside of them....they can help some with spines and thorns, but that's about it and to me at least, that benefit is not worth how hot they make my legs. OP, do you know what season you'll be doing this hunt (if you go)? 4th season very possibly could have snow.

To answer your original question, I'd either take your 6.5x55, or look into a bolt rifle with a standard chambering: .270 Win, .30-06, .308 Win: whatever trips your trigger. Being a first timer, I doubt you'll be doing anything technical, long range, etc. You'll be fine with about any factory rifle capable of a 300 yard shot. If you don't mind the magnums, by all means---have at them.

W
WAM Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
I wear Kenetrek gaiters unless it is really warm. Keeps twigs, briars, bugs and such our of the boots. Don’t usually have to worry about it being too warm. Happy Trails

Life Member NRA, RMEF, American Legion, MAGA. Not necessarily in that order.
Page 3 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

659 members (10gaugemag, 160user, 10ring1, 1badf350, 007FJ, 1936M71, 62 invisible), 3,168 guests, and 1,342 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,372
Posts18,469,290
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.