Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by GregW
My wife slays the piss out of elk with a 7-08, a freaking pink camo stock, and a 140 Etip at 2700 muzzle velocity...

She's laughing at a lot of you and shaking her head.....

Shooting a cow out of your outfitters pasture, while laying the rifle over your truck mounted window rest isn't hunting...….but you hero's keep flapping your gums! You're great entertainment!

Just make sure you wear a Dairy Queen hat while doing it so you can be like your pipsqueak 24hr resident elk hero.

Laughing at you......

"I don't live in a liberal universe, my dad gave me a brain and began kicking life lessons into it until I stopped being stupid"
GB1

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by CreekWarrior
My wife slays the piss out of elk with a 7-08, a freaking pink camo stock, and a 140 Etip at 2700 muzzle velocity...

Shooting a cow out of your outfitters pasture, while laying the rifle over your truck mounted window rest isn't hunting...….but you hero's keep flapping your gums! You're great entertainment!

Just make sure you wear a Dairy Queen hat while doing it so you can be like your pipsqueak 24hr resident elk hero.

Laughing at you......

That's it. You know my wife well but she prefers the Burger King crown FYI...

- Greg

Success is found at the intersection of planning, hard work, and stubbornness.
J
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter

And then there are some that shoot them with 243w and the like. There's nothing wrong with that either, as long as you can put the animal down humanely with one shot... I use a 338wm because I know I can put them down with one shot, at any angle and damn near any distance... I also trust a good 30-06 with 200gr partitions. That combo is damn hard to beat... I'm not going to "laugh" at anyone here because of the cartridge they choose, but if it ends up a goat fu ck rodeo because you have to take multiple shots on an elk, then I get a little pizzed. You owe it to the animal you are hunting to put them to sleep fast...

I'll pass along that great info to my wife...

Greg, he kills the schittttt outa those paper targets. Animals........not so much. Be sure to tell her that too, especially the 338WM kills 'em dead with one shot from any angle and "damn near any distance". That's a pearl right there.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
J
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
J

Laughing at you......

Good gosh......the level of dumbassery around here is growing at a much faster rate than the COVID19 every thought of growing.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S

Laughing at you......

That's it. You know my wife well but she prefers the Burger King crown FYI...

LOL, have it your way.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

IC B2

S
SLM Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Should have posted some target pics to bolster your claims.

Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
And then there are some that shoot them with 243w and the like. There's nothing wrong with that either, as long as you can put the animal down humanely with one shot... I use a 338wm because I know I can put them down with one shot, at any angle and damn near any distance... I also trust a good 30-06 with 200gr partitions. That combo is damn hard to beat... I'm not going to "laugh" at anyone here because of the cartridge they choose, but if it ends up a goat fu ck rodeo because you have to take multiple shots on an elk, then I get a little pizzed. You owe it to the animal you are hunting to put them to sleep fast...

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by SLDUCK
recoil does not bother me at all shooting to 400 yards is going to be required SW Colorado Hiking is going to be required. I was thinking a 338 win mag or 325 WSM Or just a plan jane 7mm rem mag in a lightweight

Those are all fine choices. So is a properly loaded .270 Win, .280 Rem, .280AI, .30-06 or .300 WM. The ones you suggest as well as these are all capable well beyond 600 yards when properly loaded.

I load 150g Nosler ABLR 20 2910fps for Daughter #1's .270 Win. At 7000 feet altitude and 700 yards it delivers 2100fps and 1500fpe with a gentle 18ft-lbs recoil. My .280 Rem with a Nosler 150g ABLR is good to 650 yards. A .30-06 loaded with a 168g ABLR delivers 2000fps/1500fpe past 700 yards at 7000 feet altitude.

The launch platform is less important the projectile, but I'm a big fan of Ruger M77/MKII/Hawkeye rifles. You can pick up a Ruger Hawkeye .30-06 at cdnnsports.com for $499. Or a .280 Rem for $469. I have one of the Hawkeye .280 Rem rifles and love it. Bought one of the CDNN Ruger .30-06 rifles of a SIL, wish I had one myself.

Most bullets will work most of the time but a wounded elk can go further and faster than you can. For that reason I prefer bullets that will penetrate to the vitals from any angle. The bullets I trust most to do that are Barnes TTSX and LRX, North Fork SS, Nosler Partition and AccuBond, Swift A-Frame and Scirocco II. Have not personally used the Federal Trophy Bonded Tip, Edge TLR or Terminal Ascent but would do so with complete confidence. These bullets combine the best characteristics of my preferred bullets – a bonded lead core up front with a solid rear rear.

Coyote Hunter - NRA Patriot Life, NRA Whittington Center Life, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!

No, I'm not a Ruger bigot - just an unabashed fan of their revolvers, M77's and #1's.

A good .30-06 is a 99% solution.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by JGRaider
Good gosh......the level of dumbassery around here is growing at a much faster rate than the COVID19 every thought of growing.

Indeed... but you expected different?

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
If the OP really wants a new rifle, based on what he has then I would recommend a magnum of some flavor. Keep it under 8 pounds scoped and shoot it. 7 mag and 300 mag both have inexpensive factory ammo if you don’t reload. Use a tough bullet for hunting and you’ll be good if a shot opportunity comes.

As for the dumbass comments toward creekworrior I believe he is fed up with folks who are fortunate enough to hunt large ranches presenting themselves as know it alls. I don’t know how anyone hunts here and could care less as long as this sport continues. We are on the same team and all have similar views on the big things. Hunting pressured elk is very different from hunting elk on private. They both have there challenges, I’ve done both, but public land elk are much tougher to get close too. Creekworrior taught me to hunt and fed me and my sister and my mom with elk meat growing up. When he was harvesting elk every year with a rifle he switched to a compound bow. When that became “easy” he switched to a recurve and made his own arrows. I wish I knew half he does about elk hunting. He bugles big bulls into spitting distance to this day. Hunting hard and getting close to the elk are the experiences that made me love hunting and have a major respect for elk.

S
SLM Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Pretty bold of you and your dad to assume people on this thread are killing their elk on large ranches.

IC B3

C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
I never said that did I? But there’s a difference in hunting style. One requires a lot more skill and work.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Man, this thread just keeps on giving...

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Laughing at you......

This is a jewel that needs to be saved...LMFAO 😂😎

Curiosity Killed the Cat & The Prairie Dog
“Molon Labe”
S
SLDUCK Online Content OP
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
S
What do u think about s winny xlr in 325 wsm. I'm not looking for a gun that last 100 years

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by Cutlass1971
If the OP really wants a new rifle, based on what he has then I would recommend a magnum of some flavor. Keep it under 8 pounds scoped and shoot it. 7 mag and 300 mag both have inexpensive factory ammo if you don’t reload. Use a tough bullet for hunting and you’ll be good if a shot opportunity comes.

As for the dumbass comments toward creekworrior I believe he is fed up with folks who are fortunate enough to hunt large ranches presenting themselves as know it alls. I don’t know how anyone hunts here and could care less as long as this sport continues. We are on the same team and all have similar views on the big things. Hunting pressured elk is very different from hunting elk on private. They both have there challenges, I’ve done both, but public land elk are much tougher to get close too. Creekworrior taught me to hunt and fed me and my sister and my mom with elk meat growing up. When he was harvesting elk every year with a rifle he switched to a compound bow. When that became “easy” he switched to a recurve and made his own arrows. I wish I knew half he does about elk hunting. He bugles big bulls into spitting distance to this day. Hunting hard and getting close to the elk are the experiences that made me love hunting and have a major respect for elk.

I commend you for defending the honor of your friend and provider but he shouldn't talk out of his ass at people he doesn't know. Pretty basic stuff.

I apologize to CreekWarrior for my wife killing elk with a 7-08. Better?

- Greg

Success is found at the intersection of planning, hard work, and stubbornness.
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Someone say pasture, outfitted, trespassing???? 😂😂😂

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]anonymous image hosting

6ai 80 gr bt’s 😂😂

Ping pong balls for the win.
Once you've wrestled everything else in life is easy. Dan Gable
I keep my circle small, I’d rather have 4 quarters than 100 pennies.

Ain’t easy havin pals.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Cutlass1971
I never said that did I? But there’s a difference in hunting style. One requires a lot more skill and work.

It’s difficult keeping up with those that hunt diy pub land and those who hunt ranch property, either paid or friend/family access...

Doesn’t really matter to me what a person hunts, except when a member get’s it wrong and calls a public land hunter a pasture shooter.

That gives me a case of the red-ass. 😎

“Molon Labe”
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Judman
Someone say pasture, outfitted, trespassing???? 😂😂😂

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]anonymous image hosting

6ai 80 gr bt’s 😂😂

We call that “Grocery Store Elk Hunting”....And it’s damn nice after having your nuts kicked inside out bull hunting.

👍🏻😜😎

“Molon Labe”
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Ya I’ve packed enough of em out in pieces, I deserve a easy one now and again!! 😆

Ping pong balls for the win.
Once you've wrestled everything else in life is easy. Dan Gable
I keep my circle small, I’d rather have 4 quarters than 100 pennies.

Ain’t easy havin pals.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by SLDUCK
What do u think about s winny xlr in 325 wsm. I'm not looking for a gun that last 100 years

DUCK, it wouldn’t be my choice of rifle and cartridge (do you mean the XPR line) but, yes, that combo will work on elk. The cartridge is not the most popular and ammo won’t be available everywhere if you don’t handload which is why I’d favor the 7mm RM, and second, the 300 WM if indeed you don’t stay with a standard cartridge.

But, if there’s a special reason you favor the 325 in the XPR, by all means...

Page 5 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

644 members (10gaugeman, 160user, 10gaugemag, 06hunter59, 10ring1, 007FJ, 76 invisible), 2,685 guests, and 1,310 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,477
Posts18,471,652
Members73,936
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.