Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 7 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
You probably could have thrown a rock into a gun store and hit a more practical elk rifle than a 1917 Enfield in 358 Norma Magnum.

GB1

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Royce
You probably could have thrown a rock into a gun store and hit a more practical elk rifle than a 1917 Enfield in 358 Norma Magnum.

Yup...

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by Royce

No kidding....

I seriously think these conversations come down to those who actually hunt and kill elk with certain cartridges and those who read about killing elk in a magazine, who have done it a time or two in their lives. Or so it seems.

Edited to add: or those who guide full time and have can't-shoot clients ass shooting elk and a big cartridge lets them chase down 10% less wounded elk per season. PS - been there on can't-shoot clients....

- Greg

Success is found at the intersection of planning, hard work, and stubbornness.
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Your good to go . Shoot what you have and shoot some more. Go forth and slay an Elk. Remember KISS!

Never take life to seriously, after all ,no one gets out of it alive.
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
By my count you have 4 passable elk rifles there, the best elk hunter I know used a Winchester 100 in .308 quite successfully for 3 or 4 decades. If you want a new rifle, something like a Tikka T3x SS in .30-06 (or .270, or 7mm RM) with a decent scope would make a good rough weather addition.

IC B2

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
If your 1917 is made by Eddystone, it won't take the extra pressure of any magnum. In fact, they can be so brittle that one can ruin a barrel taking it out or rebarreling. You "might" find a reboring gunsmith who will rebore it to 35 Whelen. Worth a call.

BS2 Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by George_De_Vries_3rd

A lot of this is retread, but I realize that there is another generation of hunters here and/or guys that are new to the ‘Fire.

I remember Bob Milek writing in maybe the ‘80’s about the 338 Mag for elk.

This was a great article about how a non resident should approach what rifle to use. Something like if you only have one shot, at 350 yds and the elk is quartering away. The 250 grains will get the job done!

Get close and wack em hard!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by BS2

A lot of this is retread, but I realize that there is another generation of hunters here and/or guys that are new to the ‘Fire.

This was a great article about how a non resident should approach what rifle to use. Something like if you only have one shot, at 350 yds and the elk is quartering away. The 250 grains will get the job done!

Yep, I was one of those, eventually talking 9 or ten bulls to 500 yds with the 340 Wby. But I was also a gun loony and about shot out two barrels learning to use it, though ending up with the 210-gr TSX.

Though, generally, I don’t think it’s a good idea. I’ve seen first-time elk hunters from the East who couldn't keep a 7 mm RM on a paper plate at a 100 yds.

BS2 Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member

Yes, there are those types of elk hunters you mention. Being from Iowa I didn’t get into elk until my thirties and then went about every third year or so until just recently.

So I’ve gone on maybe 25-28 hunts and have taken about thirteen, most all bulls, and a cow. This included in three states multiple times. While I’m no expert, I have some experience.

I’ve hunted with the 284 Win, 7mm RM, 30/06, 300 WM, 300 Wby, the 338, the 340 Wby, and the 45 Colt. I spent a lot of times working through these cartridges and ended up taking the majority of my bulls with the 340. I’ve seen an almost equal number taken by other hunters and buddies, and other guns.

So I know something of what an elk takes, an especially a bit about the magnums as I spent more time with them. It’s one reason I don’t recommend a 338 to a new elk hunter not knowing a lot about him — the 300’s (all), the 338, 340 are for serious shooters who are committed to learn them; even that doesn’t guarantee they will shoot them well. They can be very unpleasant and a disappointment.

My last bull was taken with the 284 Win because it’s proven to me I could kill the appropriate opportunity to 400 yards.

George, what bullet were you shooting?, details?

Back to Bob Milek, do you remember when X bullets came out? I believe it was Bob who took a 30/06 to Australia to shoot wild donkeys. Don't remember the number shot, but no bullets recovered. My point is with new bullet technology smaller caliber can do a lot more killing of bigger game. I really like the 7mm/06.....not the 280.

Last edited by BS2; 04/20/20.

Get close and wack em hard!
S
SLDUCK Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
I was just kidding on the 358 Norma on a 1917 action. It might be a little heavy.:) You know what I am just taking my 35 Whelen Get laughed cause its a pump and not a bolt. Load it with 225 TB and be fine. Thanks for the input

IC B3

O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
Originally Posted by Judman
Ya I’ve packed enough of em out in pieces, I deserve a easy one now and again!! 😆

Hell, I like hard hunting, but it never bothers me if the damn critter falls down someplace where it’s a short pack to somewhere I can get the truck, a four wheeler, or a tractor to. Love catching deer in a harvested field. Nothing like driving out there and tossing the carcass into the truck.

I hunt strictly for food. I enjoy every minute of it, but at the end of the day, it’s about meat in the freezer. Thus, I am opportunistic. Never used an outfitter in my life, but I am quick to drop meat in a field and use a motorized conveyance to haul it to the house if that works. That doesn’t mean I don’t crawl though thickets and shoot deer at the bottom of a ravine I have to drag them up out of, but I will take easy in a heartbeat. Anyone who won’t, ain’t meat hunting. That is fine, too. I do what I do, others do what they do. Works pretty well, usually...

Last edited by OldGrayWolf; 04/20/20.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by BS2

Yes, there are those types of elk hunters you mention. Being from Iowa I didn’t get into elk until my thirties and then went about every third year or so until just recently.

So I’ve gone on maybe 25-28 hunts and have taken about thirteen, most all bulls, and a cow. This included in three states multiple times. While I’m no expert, I have some experience.

I’ve hunted with the 284 Win, 7mm RM, 30/06, 300 WM, 300 Wby, the 338, the 340 Wby, and the 45 Colt. I spent a lot of times working through these cartridges and ended up taking the majority of my bulls with the 340. I’ve seen an almost equal number taken by other hunters and buddies, and other guns.

So I know something of what an elk takes, an especially a bit about the magnums as I spent more time with them. It’s one reason I don’t recommend a 338 to a new elk hunter not knowing a lot about him — the 300’s (all), the 338, 340 are for serious shooters who are committed to learn them; even that doesn’t guarantee they will shoot them well. They can be very unpleasant and a disappointment.

My last bull was taken with the 284 Win because it’s proven to me I could kill the appropriate opportunity to 400 yards.

George, what bullet were you shooting?, details?

Back to Bob Milek, do you remember when X bullets came out? I believe it was Bob who took a 30/06 to Australia to shoot wild donkeys. Don't remember the number shot, but no bullets recovered. My point is with new bullet technology smaller caliber can do a lot more killing of bigger game. I really like the 7mm/06.....not the 280.

I think that was Ross Seyfried and the Winchester Failsafe bullet. Yes, I remember the X’s, went to TSX’s and then TTSX’s with which I’ve taken some, I don’t know, some thirty head of game now since and only caught two. Very accurate generally also as is its reputation.

I think Ross S said, it — the Failsafe (and we can include the TSX and the TTSX) — Significantly raised the level of effectiveness each cartridge group. Or something like that.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by BS2

I remember that article as well. Though, it seems that the majority of hopes writings pertained to handgun hunting/shooting. Bob was a good writer, and a pretty respectable outfitter. He also gave me some pretty good tips on a good bullet for my .375 H&H. memtb

You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong." -Bob Hagel

“I’d like to be a good rifleman…..but, I prefer to be a good hunter”! memtb 2024
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
That was Ross Seyried in Australia, used the 30-06 and 165gr X bullet. He said the guide asked him if he was shooting those donkeys in the head, as they fell just like they were head shot. Ross said he used shoulder shots. I was in Bible college at the time, reading this, and I had only one rifle then...a sporterized 1917 Eddystone cut down to 24". ( reason I know how heavy they are. I also asked about the then popular 30/338WM conversion and was told heck no!) Anyhow, those first Barnes X were very "tacky", fouled like crazy. Don't worry about anyone laughing at you using a pump, that just means they never saw one shoot! The lighter weight will help you too. I have found elk in the "proverbial" honey-holes...."90% of all elk live in 90% of the thickest timber in 90% of the roughest country", ha. Have fun pard!

Last edited by Jim_Knight; 04/21/20.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Since everyone is waxing lyrical about RS, here's one of his newest articles on the subject of elk rifles...

https://www.gunsamerica.com/digest/ross-seyfried-busting-the-magnum-myth/

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Hilarious! Cripes what a funny group of authoritarian piss-ants. Brad was outed over a decade ago as a poseur- hunting on a private ranch and passing it off as something it wasn’t. Hence, one of the reasons Stick pinned the “he works at Dairy Queen wearing a DQ hat” on him way back then. Five foot nothing and all mouth…

My point was that more than a decade ago, this site slipped from having any value and meaning to a bunch of do-nothing idiots, flappin’ their gums, and pissin’ at each other about who’s the bigger more knowledgable bad butt. They’ve now progressed to who not only has BTDT, but now, who has actually done it all! All while giving worthless opinions that somehow, through miraculous spiritual powers, calibers like the 7-08 are the equivalent of the much larger and scary “magnum” calibers like a 338Winny! With a couple of shots across a pasture at calm elk and one great divine proclamation they revealed to the masses “it’s all about the bullet”! “Yeah verily”, they pronounced!

And to throw in their extra measure of worthless attitude, additional smirks and insults are added for good effect like, “the magnum crowd has little or no experience killing anything” or “there are those who actually hunt and kill elk with certain cartridges and those who read about killing elk in a magazine”. Talk about unfounded arrogance. When you give this “hard earned” advice, you all should be truthful and give new shooters an idea of where your vast wealth of experience comes from, I suggest you add a caveat to all your statements like;

- ….but I shoot across Montana pastures at elk feeding at the haystack….YMMV.
- ….”my outfitter” guarantees an elk kill and I prefer his Outers window mounted rest.
- ….our lease in Texas in managed for trophy buck production and the blinds are air conditioned.

Physics can’t be denied but please keep believing in your world that physics is somehow different. And your experience is actually elk hunting.

“It’s not what works when everything goes well that matter’s but rather, what works when things go wrong”, is still a profound statement in the real world. I’ve had a few rodeo’s and walked into so many more where someone made a poor decision using something marginal for killing an elk. The reality is, so few here actually know very little about anything complex as ballistic wound channels, or at least enough to make an informed opinion that clearly shows the 7-08 is the equivalent killer as any magnum. But they proudly give their astounding advice, post their pictures, find articles that support their silly views and then deem everyone else is below them.

Don’t try to piss up my back and then tell me that it’s raining based upon your worthless experience. But hey, it is the internet.

Soon, some of ya will be able to slip out of your Spider Man onesies and get back to mowing lawns…..or back to making ice creams cones.

Regards

"I don't live in a liberal universe, my dad gave me a brain and began kicking life lessons into it until I stopped being stupid"
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Brad
Since everyone is waxing lyrical about RS, here's one of his newest articles on the subject of elk rifles...

I didn’t know we were “waxing lyrical”. Can’t disagree with anything there Brad, but just note that RS has taken the “cartridge-journey” also. Until we have our own experiences, we defer to that of others’. Eventually, we all become a product of our very own.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by CreekWarrior
Hilarious! Cripes what a funny group of authoritarian piss-ants. Brad was outed over a decade ago as a poseur- hunting on a private ranch and passing it off as something it wasn’t.

I don't know who you are or what you think you know, but all my bulls have come solo off public land, and I've never been "outed."

But you've got some mouth on you...

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Brad

I didn’t know we were “waxing lyrical”. Can’t disagree with anything there Brad, but just note that RS has taken the “cartridge-journey” also. Until we have our own experiences, we defer to that of others’. Eventually, we all become a product of our very own.

George, meant to say "waxing nostalgic"...

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Always love these threads--partly because they almost never mention how quickly elk die when shot in the right place with a broadhead.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Page 7 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

551 members (12344mag, 10gaugemag, 16gage, 10Glocks, 1beaver_shooter, 01Foreman400, 54 invisible), 2,642 guests, and 1,367 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,459
Posts18,471,188
Members73,934
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.