Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
However to play the Devil’s Advocate, the 22HP must have been a mind blowing cartridge when it came out in 1912. I don’t own an example of either, but the 22HP seems to compare favorably with the 223, at least it does with 70-grain pills. And though nobody in their right mind would take an AR tiger hunting it’s not considered a slouch. But 108-years ago it must have seemed an astonishing accomplishment.

"The universal aptitude for ineptitude makes any human accomplishment an incredible miracle." John Stapp - "Stapp's Law"
"Klaatu barada nikto"

GB1

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Anybody try a Barnes .224 bullet in a HP or are we just guessing they won't work?

LOL
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
I took my HP deer hunting two years ago in my quest of the Savage Slam. At 40-50 yards, standing still, one shot in the neck and he never blinked. This was my 1912 with the Malcolm scope. Due to delaminations in the scope, my sight picture was better with the tang sight, so that's what I used. I just sent the Malcolm out for restoration. I'll probably take it out again next year so I can take a deer with the Malcolm. My go to deer gun is a 250 R. I took two nice pigs with it. A 250 pounder with a shot in the left ear, and a 150 pounder with a shot in the left eye. If I can make it back to SC, I plan on taking 4 rifles, to see if I can take 4 pigs on one trip for the Slam Again. If I get the chance at a pig with the HP, it will be an eye or ear shot. If I can get a broadside, or head on shot at 100 or less, I'll have bacon and ham. But, I know my rifles can do it, so I know I can do it. It may be a bit of an ego thing, I know I can make the shot, or I wouldn't take it. Maybe that's why Bell killed jumbo's with a 6.5 M-S, he knew he could. Too many hunters have grown up with a shoulder/just behind the should shot is good enough. I was in that group when I hunted with a 336 in 35 Rem. Shoot through both front shoulders and the deer can't run. Then I got my first 250. Shot a 130 pound deer square on the shoulder with a 100 grain Silver Tip, and he took off running. A neck shot as he was disappearing into the woods stopped him. That's when I started to concentrate on very small points of aim on my dear. I don't tell folks to run out and get one to deer hunt with. I think it's an historical round. In the right hands, I think it can walk the dog on some modern sweethearts.

I'm not immune from buck fever either. The year I took the 8 point with the HP, I took my biggest deer ever, with a 50 cal muzzle loader. He came over a hill with a spike next to him. He stopped and scratched his rib cage with his rack. He fainted toward the spike a few times. By the time he stopped in a little clearing, I was shaking so hard I could't keep him in the scope. It took a lot of effort to get my breathing under control. I probably had the cross hairs on his chest ten times before I could get my breathing and shakes in coordination. Nice 7 point at 192 pounds on the scale, field dressed.

At 64, I'll never follow Ruark or Capstick, so the Cape Buff's are safe. If I ever draw a MD bear tag, or drop the coin on a WV bear tag, I'll go with my 250 or a 300. I think the HP is a good deer gun, in the right hands, but the 250 is a better one.

Just to keep the ramble going, I wonder haw many PA deer have been taken with the 22 Hornet, it's not a Moose gun either.

I'm not greedy, I just want one of each.

Remember Ira Hayes

JoeMartin
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
One of my Pennsylvania uncles hunted deer exclusively with a .22 Hornet from the late 1950's to the 80's. Killed a metric sh*t ton of deer with it. I recall him being one of those guys for whom a box of ammo would last him about ten years, so it wasn't like he was a real Daniel Boone or anything.

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
"A guy I know" routinely keeps his freezer full with a 5mm Remington. He was nearly out of ammo a few years ago when someone (Remington?) started making it again. His mantra is Dot The Eye...

An armed society is a polite society.
IC B2

Calhoun Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Fireball2
Anybody try a Barnes .224 bullet in a HP or are we just guessing they won't work?

Length is going to be the issue there, even Hornady bullets don't stabilize in all US made 22HP rifles. I'd think lighter ones might work, doubt a 70gr bullet would.

But .224 bullets should work. If I were to hunt mine (and I'd like to), I'd probably use .224 Nosler Partitions. Just be aware that if you shoot a LOT you might damage the throat. You're putting a .224" bullet into a bore with avg .222" bore and the bullet has to squeeze out to fill up lands that are up to .228" wide. It'll do it, but some gas will probably squeeze by first. What I'd shoot to sight it in and then hunt wouldn't do the least bit of damage though.

The Savage 99 Pocket Reference”.
All models and variations of 1895’s, 1899’s and 99’s covered.
Also dates, checkering, engraving.. Find at www.savagelevers.com
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Machine shop question. When I hung out at the speed shop, they would do a cheapo rebuild, called a hone, knurl, and fit. All new parts but pistons. They would hone them clean and round, knurl them to expand the bore size, then fit them to the cylinder. Could you do the same with a bullet. Push it through one die to make the right hand twist, then an other die for the left twist, then a third die to size? Would the gas still blow by the knurling, would it make the bullet too week to perform as designed? An exercise in futility?

I'm not greedy, I just want one of each.

Remember Ira Hayes

JoeMartin
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Good Question. We couldn't find new pistons for my '36 Chevy when we rebuilt it in 1962 so we knurled them. It started rattling after a few thousand miles but I guess if you don't reuse the bullets they'll probably be alright. Sorry. Is anyone else getting bored? How about some more new posts. I'm still using my wife's lap top which won't allow me to post pics or I would be doing something.

wyo1895
With Savage never say never.
For a copy of my book on engraved Savage lever actions rifles send a check for $80 to; David Royal, p.o. box 1271, Pinedale, Wy., 82941. I will sign and inscribe the book for you.
[email protected]

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
You could employ a hefty arbor press with carefully fitted and polished dies to swage .224 bullets to a larger diameter. Or, instead you could simply send a bit of your stimulus check to Buffalo Arms or Reed's and they'll send you some .228 bullets in return.

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Just an general observation.

The premise that only good shots deserve to be able to hunt with a 22 caliber is the mentality that leads everybody to believe that they can use a 22 too. It's a macho thing. I am a good shot, so it's OK for me to hunt elk, moose, bear and even deer with a 22.

Nobody that can shoot straight needs to be or should be using a 30 caliber gun.

That is the mentality leads to wounded and maimed animals.

If you are a good enough shot to hit an animal in the eye or ear, why not hit him with a 30/30, 303 or 300 Savage?

Joe: Not talking about your 40 yard neck shot on a 125 lb deer. Nothing wrong with that shot with that gun IMO

Last edited by 99guy; 04/15/20.

"You cannot invade mainland America. There would be a rifle behind every blade of grass"
~Admiral Yamamoto~

When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty. ~Thomas Jefferson~
IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by 99guy

The premise that only good shots deserve to be able to hunt with a 22 caliber is the mentality that leads everybody to believe that they can use a 22 too. It's a macho thing. I am a good shot, so it's OK for me to hunt elk, moose, bear and even deer with a 22.

If you are a good enough shot to hit an animal in the eye or ear, why not hit him with a 30/30, 303 or 300 Savage?

Joe: Not talking about your 40 yard neck shot on a 125 lb deer. Nothing wrong with that shot with that gun IMO

What bullet would you recommend in the 284 for a 365 yard head shot?

LOL
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Fireball2

What bullet would you recommend in the 284 for a 365 yard head shot?

Not really sure how that question relates to or has anything to do with my post, but that being said, I suppose any bullet you could hit him in the head with would do quite nicely...

"You cannot invade mainland America. There would be a rifle behind every blade of grass"
~Admiral Yamamoto~

When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty. ~Thomas Jefferson~
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
asking for a friend...

LOL
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by wyo1895
Is anyone else getting bored? How about some more new posts.

I'm waiting on some new toys but I don't even know if my FFL is staying open right now to accept shipments.I sure hope so!

I post alot of stuff anyhow. Someone elses turn.

LOL
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I bought a Winchester Low Wall right before all hell broke loose and it arrived at my FFL just as it was breaking. That was mid-March and I can't even get the shop to call me back to confirm receipt of the firearm! They were swamped with business the last time I talked to them. I think when all the wives went out and stripped the grocery shelves bare of bottled water and toilet paper the husbands ran out bought all the Glocks and Mossberg pumps off the racks. Mossbergs and TP and Glocks oh my! Give me a break.

"The universal aptitude for ineptitude makes any human accomplishment an incredible miracle." John Stapp - "Stapp's Law"
"Klaatu barada nikto"

Calhoun Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana

That's exactly what Charles Newton was saying above.

It's a woodchuck gun that will kill deer sized game if you can pick your shot a close range.

The Savage 99 Pocket Reference”.
All models and variations of 1895’s, 1899’s and 99’s covered.
Also dates, checkering, engraving.. Find at www.savagelevers.com
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Deer's one thing, bears are entirely another. I popped a bear in the neck with a .223 at a few feet away more self defense than not, and THAT turned into quite a little rodeo by the time we finished. In the dark. In 8' high brush. mad

That's when I took to looking for a Savage in 375 Winchester. The one that saddlering now owns as a matter of fact. My faithful companion for 25 years or so.

*The Savage, not Saddlering! LOL

Last edited by Fireball2; 04/16/20.

LOL
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Well you're not 'sposed to wing 'em.

"Every day above ground is a good day."
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Southern_WI_Savage
Well you're not 'sposed to wing 'em.

Bet he needed a change of drawers after that!

LOL
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Wow, I did and I was just watching the video! eek

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Rick99, RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

74 members (35, AnthonyB, 01Foreman400, beefan, 300_savage, 8 invisible), 1,447 guests, and 783 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,503
Posts18,490,593
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.