Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
I have heard this several times over the years. I don't know if it's bunk or what.

It said if you dig a post hole about 3 feet deep then take a piece of scedual 20 4 inch pvc 6 inches above the ground and put some rods across the bottom so it's hard to pull out. Then if you fill it with cracked corn and pour a couple beers on it. Then fill a woman's hose with the same thing and hang it up high you will draw in any hogs in the area. They say only two things will dig that pipe out is a bear or a hog. The hog will root around it and bite off chunks of the pvc to get to the corn. That will leave a pit where the pipe was.

True or bullshit, been told that at least a dozen times over the years.

The older I become the more I am convinced that the voice of honor in a man's heart is the voice of GOD.

W
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
W
True or not, what is someone trying to accomplish doing that?

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Wannabebwana
True or not, what is someone trying to accomplish doing that?

One guy said if you want to know for sure if they are in the area. Another says its good to pull them into a camera. Another says that if you put a few holes in those hose with your pen knife you will at least get a good supply of maggots for fishing.

The older I become the more I am convinced that the voice of honor in a man's heart is the voice of GOD.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Soak corn in diesel. Only thing that’ll eat it.

Dave

�The man who complains about the way the ball bounces is likely to be the one who dropped it.� Lou Holtz

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
You could just set up a game camera, throw out a 50 pound bag of corn, then go check the pictures.

If there's hogs in the area, it won't take them long to find it.

There's no need to complicate things.

If you really want them to sniff from a long distance... Get this Long Range Attractant. Put it with your corn.

https://texashogbait.com/product/texas-hog-bait-lra/

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
IC B2

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Staple kerosene soaked towels to a tree about waist high.
Done.

TRUMP- GABBARD 2024
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
I've used a post hole digger to go down 3 ft, no PVC, just filled with corn and then filled up with water. you don't want the corn all the way to the top you want to be able to fill the hole back in some to cover the hole. The corn will sour and the pigs will find and keep coming back till they root it all out. We'd set up a ground blind to shoot them from.

God bless Texas-----------------------
Old 300
I will remain what i am until the day I die- A HUNTER......Sitting Bull
Its not how you pick the booger..
but where you put it !!
Roger V Hunter
Campfire Savant
Online Content
Campfire Savant
You can dig five foot hole with post hole digger, fill full of corn. It will look like a bomb crater, but how are you gonna fill it in?

Better to get a piece of 6” pipe, drill line of holes so corn will escape as they root it around. Glue cap and an eye on one end, glue a female adapter on the other with a CO plug. Drive a piece of rebar in the ground, use a four foot piece of chain to attach to pipe and rebar stake. They will have a big time rooting it around. You won’t make a train wreck that way. I’ve built several, works well.

Last edited by hanco; 04/13/20.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
If there are hogs around it won't be a secret. Hogs leave a lot of sign that can't be confused with anything else.

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I agree w/ MOGC. If there's Hogs around you'll know it. I'm not sure why anyone would go to the trouble of building a contraption like that... unless you're bored as Hell from a "Shelter in Place" proclamation.

Last edited by High_Noon; 04/13/20.

l told my pap and mam I was going to be a mountain man; acted like they was gut-shot. Make your life go here. Here's where the peoples is. Mother Gue, I says, the Rocky Mountains is the marrow of the world, and by God, I was right.
- Del Gue
IC B3

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
yep, no mistaking pigs. I see new sign every few days in the morning. You can't miss it.

Corn. No need for anything else. We've tried quite a bit and corn is the main thing. They will root out a post hole full of it. they will eat it on the ground. They will come they have noses. They don't need much help.

But on a short hunt say couple days, anything helps. Iv'e not tried Barrys link yet but I'll go look.

We used to put out liquid molasses. Not overly sure it helped. Some of the piles of it never got touched but we killed pigs close by... who knows.

The PVC pipe with corn in it keeps em working. I"d forgotten I've got one in the barn here, I'll have to get it out and get the 6 shoats left used to it. They are sneaky pluckers... I can't get em all together to buckshot em all at once. So now and then I'll get a chance to get one or two more if two line up like they did a week ago. But they have been pretty nocturnal...

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Corn sprinkled with a box of powdered strawberry jello. Always worked within a day anyplace I’ve ever tried it.
Something about the strawberry scent draws them like flies to schitt. 🤠

Last edited by chlinstructor; 04/13/20.

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Savant
Online Content
Campfire Savant
Originally Posted by chlinstructor
Corn sprinkled with a box of powdered strawberry jello. Always worked within a day anyplace I’ve ever tried it.
Something about the strawberry scent draws them like flies to schitt. 🤠

I’ve heard deer like it too!

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I just use corn feeders to draw them in. Works fine. Of course they are more expensive than PVC pipe. I will say that the one thing that worked better than regular old deer corn was deer corn with White Oak Acorn scent. The deer and hogs really liked that stuff. Unfortunately the local feed stores only sell it during deer season.

I’ve also experimented with Hog Wild Powder sprinkled on the corn. How it works on hogs is not too clear just yet, but I’ve seen deer sprint 300 yards to be first in line to eat it.

J
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
J
Originally Posted by rost495
yep, no mistaking pigs. I see new sign every few days in the morning. You can't miss it.

Corn. No need for anything else. We've tried quite a bit and corn is the main thing. They will root out a post hole full of it. they will eat it on the ground. They will come they have noses. They don't need much help.

But on a short hunt say couple days, anything helps. Iv'e not tried Barrys link yet but I'll go look.

We used to put out liquid molasses. Not overly sure it helped. Some of the piles of it never got touched but we killed pigs close by... who knows.

The PVC pipe with corn in it keeps em working. I"d forgotten I've got one in the barn here, I'll have to get it out and get the 6 shoats left used to it. They are sneaky pluckers... I can't get em all together to buckshot em all at once. So now and then I'll get a chance to get one or two more if two line up like they did a week ago. But they have been pretty nocturnal...

Rost, once out here I tried to feed the blue quail in a dry spring with a 50 lb bag of hen scratch scattered over a huge area.

A sounder cleaned every grain out.

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the left.

A Nation which leaves God behind is soon left behind.

"The Lord never asked anyone to be a tax collector, lowyer, or Redskins fan".

I Dindo Nuffin
Campfire Savant
Online Content
Campfire Savant
Posting these fo Jaguartx. Nice hog, can’t believe the hail.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]how many days do you rest between workouts

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Last edited by hanco; 04/13/20.
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
I’ve only seen one hog in middle TN. It looked and acted wild so I capped it with about 5 rounds of 45 acp while running. I found it dead later about 40-50 yards away in the woods . Anyway, happy hunting or whatever you’re doing with ‘em.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by alwaysoutdoors
I’ve only seen one hog in middle TN. It looked and acted wild so I capped it with about 5 rounds of 45 acp while running. I found it dead later about 40-50 yards away in the woods . Anyway, happy hunting or whatever you’re doing with ‘em.

Sometimes, I read your posts and hear my sister’s voice.

Originally Posted by 16penny
If you put Taco Bell sauce in your ramen noodles it tastes just like poverty
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by 603Country
I just use corn feeders to draw them in. Works fine. Of course they are more expensive than PVC pipe. I will say that the one thing that worked better than regular old deer corn was deer corn with White Oak Acorn scent. The deer and hogs really liked that stuff. Unfortunately the local feed stores only sell it during deer season.

I’ve also experimented with Hog Wild Powder sprinkled on the corn. How it works on hogs is not too clear just yet, but I’ve seen deer sprint 300 yards to be first in line to eat it.

My hogs here at the Ranch walked right by that Hog Wild stuff and went straight to the corn at my feeder when a buddy from Georgia tried it when he came to visit the Ranch.

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by kingston
Originally Posted by alwaysoutdoors

Sometimes, I read your posts and hear my sister’s voice.

I was beginning to think we’re like family also.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

572 members (1_deuce, 160user, 1beaver_shooter, 1234, 12344mag, 1OntarioJim, 52 invisible), 2,253 guests, and 1,324 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,135
Posts18,483,942
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.