Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
D
djs Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
D
OK, we all know the Federal Government is sending out stimulus money to keep people afloat (food and necessities) and to businesses (to keep them from going under. I think we all agree (well, most of us) that keeping people from starving and under-a-roof, etc., is a good thing - at least to avoid violence and mayhem.

There are limits to any nation’s largess and ability to sustain crushing debt. Do we need to be selective in saving certain critical industries and companies at eh expense of less vital ones?

What about businesses? Which businesses and industry sectors should be saved? Certainly, we know that the aerospace, automotive, pharmaceutical, machine tool and, steel industries are vital (both for defense and trade), but should we give (or loan) money to local small businesses, such as restaurants, craft shops, bike shops, etc.

Certain industries are difficult to enter due to the cost of entry and research required (e.g., aerospace), while other are easy to enter (restaurants being one example). Do we prioritize some industries at the expense of others?

On a related front, as a taxpayer, I am very willing to keep the vital industries afloat, but I want a return on my “investment”. Perhaps as a condition of a loan, the taxpayer receives interest (at a low rate), or receives stock in the company. This latter situation has a precedent in the 2008 financial meltdown – the government invested money into GM and received stock that they later sold, mitigating the loss of taxpayer funds.

“Through the Troubled Asset Relief Program the US Treasury invested a total $51 billion into the GM bankruptcy. Until December 10, 2013, the U. S. Treasury recovered $39 billion from selling its GM stake. The final direct cost to the Treasury of the GM bailout was $11-12 billion ($10.5 billion for General Motors and $1.5 billion for former GM financing GMAC, now known as Ally). Local tax incentives amounted to $1.7 billion, most of them in Michigan. A study by the Center for Automotive Research found that the GM bailout saved 1.2 million jobs and preserved $34.9 billion in tax revenue.
See: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/General_Motors_Chapter_11_reorganization#Bailouts

What are your thoughts?

GB1

J
Campfire Kahuna
Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
J
Meh....burn it all down..

Safer that way.

I am MAGA.
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by djs

What are your thoughts?

You're an idiot.

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
D
djs Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
D
Originally Posted by deflave
Originally Posted by djs

What are your thoughts?

You're an idiot.

Why thank you deflave, off the wagon again? To minimize the future debt load with the National Debt, we DO need to consider whether some industries/companies are more vital than others.

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by djs

Why thank you deflave, off the wagon again? To minimize the future debt load with the National Debt, we DO need to consider whether some industries/companies are more vital than others.

A liberal telling people what we need to figure out for the future of America.

LMFAO.

My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
IC B2

J
Campfire Kahuna
Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
J
Originally Posted by djs

What are your thoughts?

You're an idiot.

[Linked Image from media.giphy.com]

I am MAGA.
I
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I
America needs, defense, mining, timber, energy, ag, food processing, and distribution to retail stores.

All else is superfluous.

People who choose to brew up their own storms bitch loudest about the rain.
O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
Let's start off with some simple things like farmers, ranchers, growers, dairymen, food processing... Ya know, simple stuff like FOOD !

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by Idaho_Shooter
America needs, defense, mining, timber, energy, ag, food processing, and distribution to retail stores.

All else is superfluous.

What about bird feeders?

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by djs

What are your thoughts?

You're an idiot.

It really is the only answer, At least if one's being honest anyways.

Paul

"I'd rather see a sermon than hear a sermon".... D.A.D.

Trump Won!, Sandmann Won!, Rittenhouse Won!, Suck it Liberal Fuuktards.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla

IC B3

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Originally Posted by 12344mag
Originally Posted by djs

What are your thoughts?

You're an idiot.

It really is the only answer, At least if one's being honest anyways.

Here here

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
All food and food processing, except tropical fruits, nuts, coffee, and tea.

All medical equipment.

All drugs and vaccines.

All military equipment including clothing, boots, etc.

At least 50% of clothing and shoes.

If we trade with anyone, it should be fair trade, not free trade, and it should only be an ally or friendly democratic republic government, not a dictatorship or one party ruled country.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
The Airline industry needs to be at the top of the list. Air travel is key to world wide business. The US system is based on Air Travel more than most countries. The Airlines and Boeing are in big trouble now. I don't know how leveraged they are, but I would bet they are dependent on each other.

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Start with the critical supplies and industries you won't trust to ANY other nation. Medicine, nuclear, defense, food and fuel.

Work outwards from there. Clothing, and food not readily produced here. Coffee, chocolate, and spices come to mind. Maybe some wool products.

Finally, disposable goods and trinkets like cheap ceramics, and knick-knacks can come from the lowest producers.

China can rot on the vine as far as I'm concerned.

For even when we were with you, we gave you this rule: "If a man will not work, he shall not eat."

2 Thessalonians 3:10
D
djs Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
D
Originally Posted by Orion2000
Let's start off with some simple things like farmers, ranchers, growers, dairymen, food processing... Ya know, simple stuff like FOOD !

Food - YES, but small farmers or the large farming operations that supply the bulk of the production? Can we afford to support small farms?

Granted, the largest number of farms are small farms, but larger farms provide over 75% of our food production. (source: Dept of Agriculture)

Campfire Savant
Online Content
Campfire Savant
Strip clubs!

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by hanco
Strip clubs!

hanco,

You're a good dude.

GFY.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by hanco
Strip clubs!

No, that's a renewable resource. You can't kill something that bleeds for seven days and doesn't die.

S
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by djs
as a taxpayer, I am very willing to keep the vital industries afloat, but I want a return on my “investment”. Perhaps as a condition of a loan, the taxpayer receives interest (at a low rate), or receives stock in the company. .....What are your thoughts?

Ever heard of the term FASCISM?!?.. cuz that is exactly what you are supporting.

“Some ideas are so stupid that only intellectuals believe them.”
― G. Orwell

"Why can't men kill big game with the same cartridges women and kids use?"
_Eileen Clarke

"Unjust authority confers no obligation of obedience."
- Alexander Hamilton

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Meat packing industry. Smithfield pork plant in Sioux Falls has a massive corvid outbreak and closed the plant 'indefinitely." Everyone knows that bacon is a strategic asset - we need a reliable supply of the stuff!

Seriously the shut down will hurt a lot of people, I suspect "indefinitely" is a negotiating posture but I have no special insight.

The key elements in human thinking are not numbers but labels of fuzzy sets. -- L. Zadeh

Which explains a lot.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

620 members (007FJ, 1936M71, 163bc, 06hunter59, 10gaugeman, 71 invisible), 2,601 guests, and 1,333 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,716
Posts18,475,647
Members73,941
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.