Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
D
DrDeath Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
D
Anyone here have a Tikka Lite in 223? Was wondering how’s the accuracy and how quick does that barrel heat up? Those that own it do you wish you would have gone with the heavier varmint model?

HR IC

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Had one, accuracy was phenomenal, hate to say I never heated it up. Replaced it with the fluted Superlight, and the flutes help with the heating. Accuracy also phenomenal, and seems to maintain even when hot.

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Had a superlight that was really accurate.

10 shots @100

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Screw you! I'm voting for Trump again!

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the 24HCF.
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by DrDeath
Anyone here have a Tikka Lite in 223? Was wondering how’s the accuracy and how quick does that barrel heat up? Those that own it do you wish you would have gone with the heavier varmint model?

In my Tikkas chambered in 223 Rem, I have owned/own a blued T3 Lite, a stainless T3 Lite, a stainless T3 Superlite (fluted) and a stainless T3 Varmint (heavy barrel). All were/are superbly accurate with many of my reloads grouping at or under 0.5 MOA for 5 shots at 100 yards. The heavy barrelled Varmint model was the most accurate of the four but not by much, and I let a prairie dog blasting addict buddy talk me out of it. But I wasn't using it much since I prefer to walk and shoot, not sit and shoot, rodents, and the Varmint models are too heavy for my tastes. The two standard Lite versions also got sold to friends but not because they weren't accurate enough. However, I'm hanging onto the stainless fluted Superlite. The only change I would make to it is to put a T3x stock on it so I can set it up with the vertical/target grip module.

Pursuit may be, it seems to me, perfect without possession.
Robert Kelley Weeks (1840-1876)
P
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by MT_DD_FAN

In my Tikkas chambered in 223 Rem, I have owned/own a blued T3 Lite, a stainless T3 Lite, a stainless T3 Superlite (fluted) and a stainless T3 Varmint (heavy barrel). All were/are superbly accurate with many of my reloads grouping at or under 0.5 MOA for 5 shots at 100 yards. The heavy barrelled Varmint model was the most accurate of the four but not by much, and I let a prairie dog blasting addict buddy talk me out of it. But I wasn't using it much since I prefer to walk and shoot, not sit and shoot, rodents, and the Varmint models are too heavy for my tastes. The two standard Lite versions also got sold to friends but not because they weren't accurate enough. However, I'm hanging onto the stainless fluted Superlite. The only change I would make to it is to put a T3x stock on it so I can set it up with the vertical/target grip module.

T3 lite stainless 1-10”, T3 Superlite 1-8”, T3x Varmint 1-8”. My experience mirrors MT DD FAN’s but I still have all three. I can see the bullet impact with the Varmint, not so much with the Superlite.

P

Obey lawful commands. Video interactions. Hold bad cops accountable. Problem solved.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

Member #547
Join date 3/09/2001
IC B2

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
I have the T-3 lite in 1-10. Accuracy has been great with it up to 69 gr Sierra Matchkings. Like any sporter, the barrel will heat up if shot rapidly.

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
Mine has been great with 77gr TMK and 75gr hpbt. Both hell on deer and yotes

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
I have two T3 Lites with 1/8 barrels on them.
55 gr Ballistic Tips and 65 gr SGKs shoot to same point of aim in both of them.
They are both 1/2 MOA at 200 yards.

Haven't tried any of the heavier bullets in either of them.
My only complaint, I wish some one made a magazine that had a longer internal dimension to be able to feed the 75-77 gr bullets seated out a bit further.

And yes the barrels will heat up pretty quickly as any rifle will.

Your mind is your primary weapon. Never let it get rusty.

Endowment Member NRA
K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
Originally Posted by HTDUCK

My only complaint, I wish some one made a magazine that had a longer internal dimension to be able to feed the 75-77 gr bullets seated out a bit further.

Mountain tactical does make a mag with longer max COL that feeds long bullet just fine.

Last edited by KU_Geo; 04/15/20.
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
Originally Posted by MT_DD_FAN

T3 lite stainless 1-10”, T3 Superlite 1-8”, T3x Varmint 1-8”. My experience mirrors MT DD FAN’s but I still have all three. I can see the bullet impact with the Varmint, not so much with the Superlite.

P

I think if you were shooting sage rats here, you'd probably prefer the varmint over the lite or sl. I was shooting my varmint the other day and it takes a lot longer to heat the barrel up compared to a superlite. The lites and superlites shoot well though, for skinny barreled rifles.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
IC B3

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Originally Posted by KU_Geo

Mountain tactical does make a mag with longer max COL that feeds long bullet just fine.

Thanks for the heads up !

Last edited by HTDUCK; 04/15/20.

Your mind is your primary weapon. Never let it get rusty.

Endowment Member NRA
P
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
P

I have 4 of the Mountain Tactical extended capacity mags. I can seat really long.

P

Obey lawful commands. Video interactions. Hold bad cops accountable. Problem solved.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

Member #547
Join date 3/09/2001
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
[Linked Image]

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by 16bore
[Linked Image]

Only with 3 shots buddy? That is not good.... I didn't think my buddies 223 sl was that bad. Hell, I was shooting 10 shot groups with my 22-250 the other day and after 10 shots, it was barely warm... I shot 10 rounds from my 6.5cm AR and it (the 22-250) was cool enough to shoot another 10... That's the beauty in the thicker varmint barrel. I'm only posting this because I know the op has been questioning himself on which one to get.....
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

You would think a .223 rem would take a long time to heat the barrel up in a varminter... The sl and lite, not so much... I won't shoot a rifle if the barrel is too hot, I know my 7mm rem mag sl would get pretty damn hot after 3 shots as well... The creed, not so much until about 6 shots, then I'll slow down my rate of fire...:
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Superlites and lites can shoot pretty damn good, you just have to be a little more gentle with them, so you don't toast them out too soon... If it were me, I'd buy the superlite with the 1 in 8 twist barrel or the varmint model vs the lite... You have a little more options for bullet weights with the 1 in 8...

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Not just on those three shots! I’d lit the barrel up pretty good with 50’s on steel, then grabbed a few 75’s to see how they grouped.

Coulda branded cattle...

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G

I have 4 of the Mountain Tactical extended capacity mags. I can seat really long.

P

That seems like a perfect setup, how are the throats on the Tikka for running 80gr ELDs ( or even 88s)? Can you take full advantage of all that mag, and did you have to mod the bolt stop to run long?

P
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
P
I haven’t tried the 80s, I’m loading the 75 ELDM with Varget, getting 2934 FPS and great accuracy.

My write-up:

https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/topics/13776147/1

P

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

Member #547
Join date 3/09/2001
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
80 Amax and Varget were peaches & cream in my SL.

D
DrDeath Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
D
What rings if using the factory dovetail do you recommend!

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
My Talleys for light and tight, but Sportsmatch seem to be the thing. No “real” experience with them yet, other than monkeying around. Pretty damn tough.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

569 members (1beaver_shooter, 160user, 10gaugeman, 1eyedmule, 1Longbow, 007FJ, 64 invisible), 2,754 guests, and 1,245 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,203
Posts18,503,687
Members73,993
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.