-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
If you have never used a good electronic scale for rifle ammo reloading, you’ll never understand how it’s faster.

I funnel the measured powder into a case and turn to the press to seat the bullet. As I do this, the scale throws the next load. I put the reloaded round in the MTM box, grab the next case, put powder in, seat bullet, repeat. It’s a bit like having a second person helping, doing the powder throwing and weighing.

Compare that to my use of the Lyman 55 and 1010 scale. Throw powder, put on scale, wait for it to settle, trickle, grab case, pour in powder, seat bullet. Repeat. I never thought that process was slow until I had used the electronic unit for a while and then had to go back to ‘manual’ for a bit.

It’s an extra $250 for the electronic scale. I think the expense is worth it.

GB1

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I run the Autotrickler/scale combo too. Expensive-and worth it.

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
Originally Posted by OSU_Sig
I do. I calibrate it every time I power it up for use. Its been bullet proof but lately has been giving me odd readings after a load has been measured and dispensed. I have it unplugged now and may test it again later tonight to see if it acts up. I don't want false high readings by 2.2 grains... That could be a problem.

Thats what i always worried about. 2.2 grains is unacceptable and could create a very unsafe situation. Im also wondering how many seconds it takes to charge a rifle case the size of a 30-06. I ran an experiment the other day and it takes me 10 seconds to drop a light charge with my uni-flo and trickle the rest in. How much, if any, time are you actually saving? I know i trust my beam scale. An electronic device, not so much. I have to also add that this thread topic should probably be in the big game reloading section, as all of my varmint loads use powder that drops consistently from my powder measure. No need to use an electronic scale for any of my varmint rifles. The big game cartridges that use longer grain extruded powders are dropped light and then the rest is trickled in. Again, im wondering how many seconds it takes to fill a case (on average) when you are using your fancy electronic scale? I scratch my head and wonder if you are really using anything other than a powder measure when dropping charges for your varmint loads as well.. if you arent, maybe you need to re-think your powder choice.

WOW, BSA obviously you have never used a Chargemaster. never seen one off more than .1grain.....if it is it will tell you it F'd up, all you have to do is put it back in the hopper and push the button again

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Originally Posted by Tim_K
I'm running an Auto Trickler. It throws charges to the nearest kernel of powder in 10 or so seconds. Spendy, though.

https://www.autotrickler.com/

I checked out the link, 490.00 for the measure and the trickler, I really thought it would be more. What are you using for a scale?

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Chargemaster lite. Skip hornady. I actually like my lite better than the original chargemaster

IC B2

O
OSU_Sig Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by shootAI
Chargemaster lite. Skip hornady. I actually like my lite better than the original chargemaster

tell me about the lite. there is less than $100 difference in price.

There are 2 rules to success:

1. Never tell everything that you know.
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
OSU. Main difference is the scale is not a separate unit so it is built more like the Lyman or hornady. The original has a separate scale that attaches to the dispense unit. I find my light to take up less space and less overthrows than the chargemaster OG.

Last edited by shootAI; 05/05/20.
O
OSU_Sig Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
O
Thanks.

There are 2 rules to success:

1. Never tell everything that you know.
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Find a buddy that has the Lyman Gen 5 or 6 model. I think you will change your mind about electronic scales.

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
I've got two chargemasters sitting side by side so I can load prairie dog ammo as fast as I can seat bullets. With one I was always waiting on the dispenser, with two I can charge cases as fast as I can dump powder and the next charge is ready. I love them and would never go back to a beam scale, the thought makes me shudder!

IC B3

J
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
J
I have an RCBS.

I needed to resolder the connections.

I only use it for batches of 20 or less.

Too slow for more than that.

I am MAGA.
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

457 members (06hunter59, 17CalFan, 19rabbit52, 160user, 163bc, 1lesfox, 42 invisible), 2,784 guests, and 1,134 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,655
Posts18,533,871
Members74,041
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.