Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
kid0917 Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by PJGunner
A good submarine movie is Das Boot. Appears to be quite realistic of what it was like back then.
Paul B.

Yes, enjoyed that one, too. It showed the change from early to mid-WWII in the N Atlantic. Better developing technology and willingness/ability to focus on fighting the U boats made a dramatic difference.

Don't have much use for Sean Connery or Alex Baldwin but, I also enjoyed The Hunt for Red October

GB1

K
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
K

Founder
Ancient Order of the 1895 Winchester

"Come, shall we go and kill us venison?
And yet it irks me the poor dappled fools,
Being native burghers of this desert city,
Should in their own confines with forked heads
Have their round haunches gored."

WS

N
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
N
As a middie, an afternoon spent on an attack boat that was pierside at Norfolk was all it took to convince me that I didn’t want anything to do with subs. 😮

While on cruise on board the America, one of the movies we had was Das Boot. Pretty tense and very well done.

Last edited by navlav8r; 04/18/20.

NRA Life,Endowment,Patron or Benefactor since '72.
L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
My nephew was a quarter inch or so under the height cutoff for sub duty. Once he was in nuke school there was no turning back - and he grew 4 more inches in a late growth spurt. He spent 3 years sleeping curled up. The day he got out, he burned his uniforms. The next day he realized he was still in the reserves and bought new ones.

He did not like the Navy.

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by las
A friend was in Merchant Marine in WWII, on some of the convoy runs. When he would (almost never) talk about it in the 70's, he would turn dead white.

Burning/sinking ships on all sides, doomed sailors in the water, no stopping to pick them up, or even avoid running them down.

An uncle by marriage was in the second boarding party of the U-boat captured in the N. Atlantic during WWII. He was fine with that - the first party had to safety the scuttling charges. That boat is in a US museum (Chicago? Smithsonian?), and he told me his pic(with his party) is included in the display. I did see his copy of the pic, but never the dispay itself.

U-505.

Slaves get what they need. Free men get what they want.

Rehabilitation is way overrated.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
IC B2

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by kid0917
my hats off to all Navy combat veterans, especially submariners.
some great action footage of depth charging going on right now.
Krauts are releasing oil to try deception.....made in 1957, I will still in diapers, yes CLOTH diapers, lol...
Pretty good movie, that.. Another one is "Das Boot"..

Originally Posted by local_dirt
Originally Posted by las
A friend was in Merchant Marine in WWII, on some of the convoy runs. When he would (almost never) talk about it in the 70's, he would turn dead white.

Burning/sinking ships on all sides, doomed sailors in the water, no stopping to pick them up, or even avoid running them down.

An uncle by marriage was in the second boarding party of the U-boat captured in the N. Atlantic during WWII. He was fine with that - the first party had to safety the scuttling charges. That boat is in a US museum (Chicago? Smithsonian?), and he told me his pic(with his party) is included in the display. I did see his copy of the pic, but never the dispay itself.

U-505.
I was 9 years old when I toured the U-505......and knew right then I wanted to serve on subs... Did so, from '66-'69 (USS Redfish & USS Razorback).. The latter, btw, is at the North Little Rock Maritime Museum and is still 90% operational..

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by kaywoodie
Originally Posted by las
Let's not forget that SOB Congresscritter that blabbed to the papers about our "small losses" in the Pacific being due to the Japs setting their charges too shallow, as our boats had greater depth capability than theirs, which they were initially referencing for depth settings. Cost hundreds of lives after that.

He should have been shot - literally. But wasn't.

Here ya go!

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Andrew_J._May

Wow, never knew that. What a POS.

kid0917 Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
sort of like Feinstin blurting out we were tracking Bin Laden by his cell phone, a decade before his end.

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Feinstein deserves a firing squad to this day.

Slaves get what they need. Free men get what they want.

Rehabilitation is way overrated.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

580 members (16penny, 12344mag, 10Glocks, 007FJ, 10gaugeman, 10gaugemag, 53 invisible), 2,430 guests, and 1,356 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,633
Posts18,474,369
Members73,941
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.