Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
RickBin Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Hi Guys:

So I was making my way out of the SHOW Show when I saw George Gardner at the G.A. PRECISION (aka GAP) booth. Stopped in to say hello, and one thing led to another (as they will when a rifle loony is surrounded by wares such as GAPs), and a 6.5 PRC build was conceptualized. Made it home, got involved in post-SHOT follow-ups, wasn't long before we got Corona-virused, and just about the time the weather started warming up, and I got to thinking about getting some bullets downrange, things got interesting.

Yesterday I got notice from DEFIANCE MACHINE that my Ruckus XM was ready to go. Gotta thank Norm Nicholson at Defiance for his help. He answered the few questions I had, banged the order out, and gave me clear expectations, which he proceeded to meet exactly. Can you say repeat business? So I have a Defiance Ruckus XM en route to GAP ... (big smile).

Meanwhile, George had given me a heads up that BARTLEIN BARRELS would soon be debuting a carbon-wrapped product, and George wanted to use one on the build. Fast forward to today, and it's a happy coincidence that Bartlein just announced their new barrels. All my experience with Bartlein has been superb. Add in George's input that they plain shoot, and I am all in.

Shortly after SHOT, I had a conversation with Tom Manners from MANNERS COMPOSITE STOCKS. I don't have any firsthand experience with a Manners stock, but I know GAP uses them often, which is about all I need to know. Beyond that, I have heard nothing but good things, so I'm going to run my first Manners on this build. Tom Manners is a great guy to work with.

One difficult decision early on had to do with action length. The Defiance XM allows for longer cartridge OALs, which is attractive for a handloader when contemplating long, high-BC bullets loaded in a 6.5 PRC. However, bottom metal options are (very) limited, and I could find no suitable DBM options. I talked to George, and he recommended the HAWKINS PRECISION hinged floorplate unit.

There are more decisions to be made, as this build is just beginning. However, waiting in the wings is a VORTEX RAZOR HD GEN II 4.5-27x56 that has been nothing but stellar on other rigs. This scope has earned my trust, and I am anxious to combine it with a GAP!

So, at this point, we are on the launchpad. I am soliciting any and all input as to how you would build this.

Basis: GAP 6.5 PRC on a Defiance Ruckus XM with a Bartlein carbon barrel, Manners stock, and Vortex Razor scope.

What bullet would you throat it for? Twist? Barrel contour? Rings? Trigger? Brake? What else??

Appreciate all input guys.

"What we obtain too cheap, we esteem too lightly: it is dearness only that gives every thing its value. Heaven knows how to put a proper price upon its goods; and it would be strange indeed if so celestial an article as freedom should not be highly rated." Thomas Paine
GB1

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Sounds like it's going to be a heck of a nice rifle Rick... I'd go 8 twist and run the 139 Scenar... on that #4...Seekins rings...TriggerTech trigger... threaded for a suppressor...

Public landowner...
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I guess my first question would be: what do you plan to do with it? In my mind, that drives every other decision. Will it be a hunting rifle, a PRS gun or just a cool toy for banging steel?

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by Cinch
Sounds like it's going to be a heck of a nice rifle Rick... I'd go 8 twist and run the 139 Scenar... on that #4...Seekins rings...TriggerTech trigger... threaded for a suppressor...

This sounds pretty legit. Are Can's legal in Cali? I really like the 147ELD.

Last edited by MontanaCreekHunter; 04/23/20.

Eat Fish, Wear Grundens, Drink Alaskan.
H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
Rick, the only input I have is let us follow along...fun stuff!

IC B2

O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
Which Manners are you running? And I would assume with the weight of the scope, it’s not going to be a walking rifle.

Hunting paper or game?

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Depends on what you plan to do with it, but the 147 elds would be a good Bullet to run, or the 156 Berger.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I don't understand.

That's a three pound scope.

What's the rifle's purpose?

Originally Posted by 16penny
If you put Taco Bell sauce in your ramen noodles it tastes just like poverty
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
147 ELDM is not a hunting bullet, despite what the internet says. I opted to give the a try on game at the recommendation of Rich Sherman. I quit using them on game after having multiple failures last year. Failures were on hogs and an Axis buck. The bullet exploded either on contact or before contact. Entrance wound was a fist sized mangled mess, no penetration. Rifle was a Seekins Havak chambered in 6.5 PRC. I've shot thousands of 147ELDMs at steel in PRS style competition and practice out of a 6.5CM.

I've also been shooting 156 EOLS, but haven't used them on game.

Originally Posted by 16penny
If you put Taco Bell sauce in your ramen noodles it tastes just like poverty
RickBin Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Appreciate the input so far gents.

1] This a LR rifle project. I have lots of rifles, and lots that are capable of LR, but nothing specifically configured as such. It will mostly get fired at long-range steel ... I have access to facilities that allow me to shoot as far as I want. I am not going to throw weight on it needlessly, but I don't plan to hump this rifle over hill and dale. So, the purpose of this rifle ultimately is to shoot a lot more at LR, to get better - to become a better rifleman. I see a blanket and a bipod, and a spotter (human).

2] That said, I am a hunter first, and so in the back of my head there is certainly room for shooting critters, and coyotes at least are definitely on the menu.

Wrapping my head around bullets now. 147 ELD-Ms seem to be the most practical choice, in terms of BC, availability, cost, etc. Lots of others to contemplate before talking to George about throating.

A-Tips? ELD-X's? Bergers?

"What we obtain too cheap, we esteem too lightly: it is dearness only that gives every thing its value. Heaven knows how to put a proper price upon its goods; and it would be strange indeed if so celestial an article as freedom should not be highly rated." Thomas Paine
IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
ELD-X for game.

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
Hawkins make a hinged floorplate for the Defiance XM action? That is good to know!

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
LR rig with a hunt thrown in every once in a while, I'd lean Manners EH1A.

I'd also want a dbm, but I'm a bit biased.

Screw you! I'm voting for Trump again!

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the 24HCF.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Rick...go with the Defiance XM bottom metal kit (BDL style) I used it on my 6.5PRC with a Defiance Deviant XM action....feeds really slick with no hiccups!!

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Definitely go with an 8 twist (or tighter) on your barrel. I have a 6.5RM that the fellow who built it said wouldn't stabilize lighter bullets. 85gr and 100gr Sierras are consistent sub-inch groupers for five shots. The 140 Bergers do shoot tighter, but, as always, accuracy is occasionally hindered by the shooter's capabilities. Sounds like a fun build you have going there.

"Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing."
Robert E. Howard
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Sounds like a very interesting build Rick.. I had a 26 Nosler built recently and it is really a great shooter. Try the Nosler 140 AB's and the 142 ABLR's. I had problems with the ABLRs , like just about everyone, but if you can get them to shoot in your rifle, the huge BC will be helpful for your LR quest... bright side is the AB's shoot great in this rifle with the 8 twist Rock 5R barrel, so I'm a happy camper. I'm thinking the ballistic tips wouldn't be too shabby either ...

Bob

Never underestimate your ability to overestimate your ability.
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
I have had luck in my SAUM with 140 VLDs and 142 LRAB. Most recent elk with the later, my big horn, a whitetail, antelope and 5 other elk with the VLDs. VLDs flat shoot in my GAP rig and I think I've figured the 142s out. I'd like to try the Scenars next but the groups I am getting keep me from jacking with it and just going to hit steel. H1000 is all I have tried but I have an 8#er so that's where I stay for the time being.

I'm shooting with the VIAS brake but would consider the Micro Bastard too. I would regret not having a brake. I do not have suppressor experience so I cannot offer anything there. Many others do specifically with the SAUM.

Looking forward to your decisions and build progress. Thanks for sharing.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by kingston
147 ELDM is not a hunting bullet, despite what the internet says. I opted to give the a try on game at the recommendation of Rich Sherman. I quit using them on game after having multiple failures last year. Failures were on hogs and an Axis buck. The bullet exploded either on contact or before contact. Entrance wound was a fist sized mangled mess, no penetration. Rifle was a Seekins Havak chambered in 6.5 PRC. I've shot thousands of 147ELDMs at steel in PRS style competition and practice out of a 6.5CM.

I've also been shooting 156 EOLS, but haven't used them on game.

Used within the right parameters, the 147 ELD works brilliantly on game, IME (launched at Creedmoor velocities and impacting at a max of 2600 fps). What was your launch speed? Impact speeds? I'm guessing that like most tipped C&C bullets, there's a velocity threshold below which they work great, and above which they are far less than ideal. I would be very surprised if the bullet exploded before contacting anything, unless you're running them out of a 6" twist 26 Nosler.

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Rick, I wish you the best of luck with it! Since it’s just for fun.

I’m a curmudgeon.

If I wanted a pointy bullet for hunting I would choose either the 140 Accubond or the 130 Scirocco. Those are old enough there are slicker bullets out there. The good thing would be I note the AB usually won’t shoot until it’s 0.05 off the lands, usually closer to 0.075. And the Scirocco usually won’t shoot until even further off, like 0.10 or more. So you could throat for the 147 and use one of those if you preferred.

I’ve wanted to order a Manners stock for a while because I once upon a time grew up in northern Missouri but I don’t care for stippling, I much prefer checkering. Only recently did Manners change that and came out with the Ultra Classic. I have one ordered.

To go with the Ultra Classic theme I would use a standard steel barrel, probably a #2 contour. Nothing against the Bartlein CF barrel, I just wouldn’t feel like it would go with the UC.

I would go with an 8-twist or a 7.5-twist.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

558 members (24HourCampFireGuy50, 1936M71, 160user, 1minute, 222Sako, 1Longbow, 63 invisible), 2,432 guests, and 1,447 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,170
Posts18,484,590
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.