Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Was out cutting some trees along the creek the other day. I drop them then pick em up and shove them deeper into the timber with the tractor. As I always have acute awareness of my surroundings I naturally ended up backing over my 460 Husqvarna. Loved that saw. So I drag it down yesterday to the guy I bought it from and he says he no longer sells Husqvarna but shows me his line of Echo saws. I don't see a lot of difference. He quotes me $300+ to repair my old saw, or about $125 more than that for the new pretty equivalent Echo.

So, any experience with Echo's? Good, bad, ugly? My 460 had a 24" bar and the new one will too. This will be my "big" saw. I have a smaller Husqvarna with an 18" bar that I use for the smaller stuff. I am not a professional logger or anything of the sorts, so extra heavy duty saws that cost many more dollars don't interest me. Unless of course they can stand up to a 6125 running over them. smile

Black Cows Matter!
GB1

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
We have a couple, and really like them. Their equipment had a 5 year home owner warranty when I got them. The only complaint we had was the shop that sold them to us wouldn't fine tune them when purchased, tried to tell me they were spot on from the factory . I took them to a friend that sells other brands and he dialed them in, it made a big difference. No problems with either after a few years of moderate use.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
After buying my first Echo I'll never buy another Stihl. My 490 can sit for a year and in 2 pulls will fire up.

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost.
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
I've got a small echo for brush and tops...nice little saw.

Mauser Rescue Society
Founder, President, and Chairman

I don't always shoot Mausers, but when I do...I prefer VZ-24s.

jdi do píči
S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S

When I was growing up Echo saws were Junk, now they are used by pro’s.... so they came a long, long way...

IC B2

V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
They used to make JD saws. We have one fro the 70’s. Still works.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I'm a Stihl guy, own a few.
Had a guy come by a few years ago and drop off an Echo saying he could no longer start it and it didn't cut worth a crap when it did run.
It sat on the shop bench for a year and a half, I don't run a chainsaw repair shop, I don't know what he was thinking. He never mentioned it again nor did I.

Outta boredom I started fiddlin' with it one day, while putting in some fresh gas I took notice the new chain on it was put on backwards.
Fixed that and it started second pull, been using it for a couple years now.
I told the guy of my findings and he just said I should keep it...

If I was buying new, I'm stuck on Stihl's for no justifiable reason but I'd take an Echo if the price was right.
Nothing wrong with Husqvarna's either, but like Stihl, It's just a trusted name brand that others probably live up to as well.

Padded VA Hospital Rooms for $1000 Alex

Originally Posted by renegade50
My ignoree,s will never be Rock Stars on 24 hr campfire.....Like me!!!!

What are psychotic puppet hunters?
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
I have an Echo 620P and it is a better saw than the Stihls I've owned. Have had it for a little over 2 years now. I bought it with a 20 inch bar and recently also purchased a 27 inch bar. The 620P is a big saw and professional grade. I bought it from a place in Illinois, Arlington Power Equipment.

Patriotism (and religion) is the last refuge of a scoundrel.

Jesus: "Take heed that no man deceive you."
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
My wife just bought me a 620 PW with a 24” bar. I’ve only used it once, but am very happy with it. Look around ask ask about the Echo or Shindaiwa (same saw, different color) dealer day. Good way to save 20% on the saw.

Who is John Galt?
V
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
V
"I naturally ended up backing over my 460 Husqvarna. Loved that saw."

Did it break the engine? Just about everything else is pretty easy to replace. I do like Echo chain saws.

IC B3

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
I have an Echo CS400, 18" bar. Not as big as you want, but after 4 years it has always started and run fine. I did replace the bar late last year, 3rd chain. No complaints. The worn bar pissed me off for a while until I figured out why it wouldn't cut straight. It does now! I ran an Echo weedeater for 15 years, it finally got to be fussy, probably case seals. But I got my money's worth.

D
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
D
I’ve only ever had stihl saws and they have been very good.

NRA Patron
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Once I learned that saws needed premium grade gasoline I have had better luck with both Stihl and Echo. I talked to a Stihl mechanic once that told me of a good many saws he has seen badly damaged by using oil meant for water cooled outboards namely Mercury Quicksilver.

Patriotism (and religion) is the last refuge of a scoundrel.

Jesus: "Take heed that no man deceive you."
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
My dad has used an Echo for years.

Great saw.

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Those husky saws are very easy to work on and parts are everywhere. I own husky, stihl and echo and they're all good saws. I'd buy the broke one from you if you're selling.

Originally Posted by BrentD

I would not buy something that runs on any kind of primer given the possibility of primer shortages and even regulations. In fact, why not buy a flintlock? Really. Rocks aren't going away anytime soon.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I love my Echo 590 Timberwolf. 20", but rated for longer too. 59.8 cc
Runs and cuts great. Auto oiler, magnesium, starts easy. Paid 345.00 with my military discount where I shop.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by akasparky
I'm a Stihl guy, own a few.
Had a guy come by a few years ago and drop off an Echo saying he could no longer start it and it didn't cut worth a crap when it did run.
It sat on the shop bench for a year and a half, I don't run a chainsaw repair shop, I don't know what he was thinking. He never mentioned it again nor did I.

Outta boredom I started fiddlin' with it one day, while putting in some fresh gas I took notice the new chain on it was put on backwards.
Fixed that and it started second pull, been using it for a couple years now.
I told the guy of my findings and he just said I should keep it...

If I was buying new, I'm stuck on Stihl's for no justifiable reason but I'd take an Echo if the price was right.
Nothing wrong with Husqvarna's either, but like Stihl, It's just a trusted name brand that others probably live up to as well.

You know,
you are sharper than most!

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
No personal experience, but a friend who has been climbing trees for 60 years swears by them.

V
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
V
My only personal experience with the Echo chainsaw was with a Model CS500 VL from back in the late 1970's. It was a great saw that started every time and cut as well or better than my friends comparable Stihl. I do have a nephew who has a couple of Echo's that he is very happy with. I would buy one if a dealer I trusted was close by and the price is right.

Dealer service is very important with 2-stroke gas saws, trimmers, etc.

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
I had one that I used every 10 years after I moved from a property that had to be trimmed quite a bit. I gave it to my brother, never had an issue with it and it started even after being dormant for a long time.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

523 members (219 Wasp, 10gaugeman, 12344mag, 222Sako, 10gaugemag, 1badf350, 52 invisible), 1,736 guests, and 1,184 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,102
Posts18,522,319
Members74,026
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.