Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Birdwatcher
Back in the 70’s as a teenager I spent hours and hours in the woods I company with my dog when all we had for dogs was flea collars. The was in downstate NY, close to the epicenter of Lyme disease. There were ticks but I don’t recall them being a major problem, for me or the dog.

Going on a half century later and there and over much of the eastern half of the US seems like ticks drive a lot of people out of the woods in the warm season.

I dunno why they seem to have gotten so much worse.

Deer populations are so much higher, hence more ticks.

"Live like you'll die tomorrow, but manage your grass like you'll live forever."
-S. M. Stirling

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
ARGH! just sat down for lunch, felt something on my neck, you guessed it ! another ALIEN! where is the DEET! ARGH! no idea where I am picking them up.

Last edited by deerstalker; 04/27/20.

the consolidation of the states into one vast republic, sure to be aggressive abroad and despotic at home, will be the certain precursor of that ruin which has overwhelmed all those that have preceded. Robert E Lee
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
deerstalker I don't live far from you as the crow flies and yes we have ticks also. I have cut back my spring bear hunting because of them. One day I found a dozen crawling on me.
They seem to be in cluster and when you get into they are all over you around here.
Try permethrin, you can get it in aerosol, spray it on clothes let dry and it will last through several washes. It kills the little buggers

Originally Posted by Judman
PS, if you think Trump is “good” you’re way stupider than I thought! Haha

Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Permanone/Permethrin... is your friend.

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by MOGC
Permanone/Permethrin... is your friend.

I got a quart of concentrate from Rural King and it will mix up more than I will use in a lifetime. I think it was 20 bucks. Nice to have an unlimited supply.

IC B2

G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
I've sprayed them fuggers with 100% Deet and it doesn't do anything. Permethrin is even more worthless than that. Eating garlic.....lol

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
DEET is a REPELLANT! It is not meant as a control agent.

G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
No schitt, Sherlock. And it does nothing. When them bastards crawl right through it and make it to your hairline, it's experimentation time. The best killer is dropping them onto a glowing wood stove, followed by cutting them in half with a good sharp knife.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by GreatWaputi
No schitt, Sherlock. And it does nothing. When them bastards crawl right through it and make it to your hairline, it's experimentation time. The best killer is dropping them onto a glowing wood stove, followed by cutting them in half with a good sharp knife.

Waputi, you need a razor and an ice pic..... shave your junk and when said parasites are spotted, whether running or dug in, jab them with the ice pic.....

Originally Posted by Judman
PS, if you think Trump is “good” you’re way stupider than I thought! Haha

Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Be careful! my FIL spent two weeks in a coma as a result of a tick bite and even the best doctors at Hershey Medical Center (Penn State) took a log time in figuring out the illness.

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
IC B3

G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by irfubar
Originally Posted by GreatWaputi

Waputi, you need a razor and an ice pic..... shave your junk and when said parasites are spotted, whether running or dug in, jab them with the ice pic.....

I had a tetanus shot

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
No one is safe...

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Is that Roger?

I'd rather die in a BAD gunfight than a GOOD nursing home.
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
For an interesting time, watch how many of the buggers jump on you when you approach the dead cape buff you just shot. 100 mg of Doxycycline when you discover one on you and another 100mg the next day. Personally, I take 100mg pf Doxycycline for a week before I leave on safari and continue the dose every day during the hunt and for a week afterwards. Check with your doc, but this works for me. It also serves as a prophylaxis against malaria

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Ticks are something to to be of concern . . .

https://www.cdc.gov/ticks/diseases/

Time is past actually for this annual warning

Some spelling errors can be corrected by a vowel movement.
~ MOLON LABE ~
W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Yesterday I went for a walk in the woods after I walked for one hour I already had 6 of those little
Bass turds.

I like to do my hunting BEFORE I pull the trigger!
There is only one kind of dead, but there are many different kinds of wounded.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Permethrin is applied to the clothing before venturing forth into tick territory. Not to the tick itself. DEET isn't a great repellent, but properly applied Permethrin works very well.

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
N
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
N
When i was growing up in Michigans U.P> me and my brother would walk down to the lake to fish and he would be full of ticks by the time we reached the lake and i wouldn't any on me. I guess i had bad blood in me.

H
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
H
We have lots of ticks here. In my yard I put out tick granules around the perimeter of my yard. And at the base of the house. Controls the ants and don't have ticks either. They sell it here at Walmart. I am planning on putting it out tomorrow. I will put out another application mid summer.

W
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
W
I've used Repel spray for clothing and gear-- Permethrin --- Spray boots , paints , shirts. gloves, hat.==== Watched many of ticks and crawlers on my pant leg crawling in small circles doing the Mexican hat dance before they fall off and die.
Last for weeks with just one spray. Web

[Linked Image]
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

665 members (1234, 1beaver_shooter, 160user, 10gaugemag, 16penny, 007FJ, 69 invisible), 2,761 guests, and 1,381 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,216
Posts18,485,508
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.