Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
L
las Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
L
Are you dressing down the rakers as well as sharpening the teeth?

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Get the carbide tipped duro chain from Stihl. Little more money but stays sharp for a long time.

If you find yourself in a hole....quit digging
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Europeans use that ball zerk on a lot of their machinery, there is a adapter for grease guns, sort of looks like a ball inflator. My Husky came with one of the push greasers. I use that style with oil on my machine tools.

You can hunt longer with wind at your back
B
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
B
I don't know how you keep a bar long enough for the front sprocket to wear out. Mine has a .043 gauge bar but it wore so much after about a year that I had to start using .050 gauge chains to keep then from coming off the bar.

Oregon makes a .050 gauge bar that matches up with the one that came on it. I'm putting one on it soon.

B
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
B
Harbor Freight sells these little grinders for pocket change. Functionally, they operate like a lot of heavier duty models that sell for a quite a bit more. It takes a little bit of finesse to use one. But it's mostly just a matter of getting the stops set properly.

You can't beat on them with a hammer, but they do a pretty good job. Once you get it set up, you can sharpen a chain in about 10 minutes.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
get the commercial grade chain .not the home owner grade

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have one of those HF chain sharpener and I confirm others comments. It is convenient to be able to sharpen your chain when needed and bring everything back into alignment after filing it a few times. These sharpeners are not very rugged so you have to treat them with finesse. A slight learning curve but they do work. Need to grind the rakers occasionally.
I mostly use chain saws to clear limbs across the road and along fence lines. I get in the dirt and hit wire more than I should. Pretty hard on chains.

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by rost495
Originally Posted by simonkenton7
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Here is the oak I was cutting last week. This hard wood just beat hell out of my chain, I am sure it would have gone a lot better if I had been lubing the nose gear.
The things you can learn here on the campfire forum.

My brother went over with me for the second load and we both loaded up. His little Husqvarna was not up for the job I had to do all the cutting with my Stihl with the 20 inch bar. This wood is rather hard to split, but, it is beautiful firewood.

Post Oak like that, fairly large IE a big tree, but only about 38 inches diameter or so, took me a day to cut up into splitting size plus all the limbs. Tree was dead a year so fairly rough. Rounds cut every 18 inches so lots of chunks. Went through 5 chains that day. As soon as they quit cutting nice chips and start making a bit of sawdust it comes off and sharp one goes on. Go to the barn after that and touch em all up on a cheap freight sharpener. Works great. I could NOT get through a 24 inch oak like that with one chain here MAYBE if it was green. MAYBE.

Seriously, 5 chains?
I mostly cut dead standing Locust which is on par with granite as far as hardness goes, can usually get a cord or two out of a chain before needing to sharpen[as long as I keep it out of the dirt].

FJB & FJT
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Putting a new bar and chain on makes it feel like a new saw.

Life is good live it while you can.
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Grease the main bearing on the sprocket? What do you mean?

Here I am laying out and cutting a dovetail notch for my log cabin, four years ago.

Here I am cutting the groove in the window opening. A piece of angle iron is installed on both sides. As the logs shrink, they will settle around the doors and windows.
Very important to allow for this shrinkage and settling.

That saw in the firewood photo is a Stihl 039.

Do you not peel the logs and let them air dry for a year prior to construction?

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
IC B3

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle

Interesting hammer face on the maul. Make?

--Pat Parelli

--ironbender
B
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
B
Yeah, I'm rough on chains also. I've been clearing big honeysuckles and bradford pear trees off of my property for 2 years.

I'm mowing where the cleared brush was so I cut the stumps flush with the ground. Getting the chain in the dirt is just a part of the process. That's why I bought the grinder from Harbor Freight.

I like to keep a chain going as long as possible. Not just because of the expense of new chains. But I hate breaking in a new chain. The new chains stretch so much when you first put them on that you can't get noting done for constantly adjusting the tension on them.

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Stihl brand chains are 'pre-stretched' I believe.

FJB & FJT
T
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
T
Oregon bars have the grease hole too. I have never seen a bar that didn't though.

S
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
S
That is a Fiskars maul. Pretty good maul. Yes I am pretty good about filing the rakers, if anything, I file them down too much.
I use white pine logs that have set out for about 3 months, the sawmill grinds off the bark. Even if you let them cure for a year, they will still shrink and settle, especially in that first winter after the cabin is finished.

That is why you must allow for shrinkage and settling at all door and window openings. If not, your windows will be crushed by the weight of the roof. Tricky building a log cabin.

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
I’ve helped a couple friends build log cabins. Logs were at least a year after peeling. Some shrinkage accounted for but not what appears to be shown.

Your saying 3 months from live tree to building log?

--Pat Parelli

--ironbender
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Thanks sk7. Learn sumptin' new every day.

"A Republic, if you can keep it." ~ B. Franklin
S
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
S
Yes I have no problem using a log that was cut down 3 months ago. It is important to get a winter cut when the sap is down.

I install angle iron at all window and door openings. A cut is made into the header log and goes about 7 inches deep. The angle iron runs about 4 inches up into the header log. This allows for 3 inches of settling at the door opening. The logs just slide down the angle iron.
I was supposed to install a door here in my house, this is a 4 foot door opening from the living room into the hallway.
In this case I just left the door off I would never have the occasion to close it and I kind of like the way it looks.
In four years, I got only about 3/4 of an inch of settling here at the door opening and only got about 3/8 inch of settling at the windows. Most all of that settling happens in the first winter especially if you are burning a wood stove all the time.

M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
Have been using an old Dualco Mini Grease gun to lube the bar nose roller and clutch roller bearing on my father's old Jonsereds 52 for more than 40 years. After cursing at the thing when trying to refill with grease when it sputtered, finally got smart and drilled/tapped the top cap where the metal is thickest to install a zerk fitting. Now I just fill it with a few pumps from my full-sized grease gun. No fuss. No Muss.....

You're welcome. *grin*

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Gotcha.

How to you spike the logs together.

--Pat Parelli

--ironbender
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

529 members (219DW, 1234, 10Glocks, 219 Wasp, 21, 1minute, 53 invisible), 2,426 guests, and 1,207 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,432
Posts18,489,353
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.