Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 6 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Racking the slide on a pump shotgun will immediately cause a burglar to lose control of his/her bowels and cause them to either flee in utter terror or to be reduced to a blubbering fearful mass begging for his/her life.

Sorry, my tactics don't include telling the bad guy that I'm armed.

My first warning shot will be COM...then I'll get serious.

Aqualung

Last edited by Aqualung; 06/12/07.

"Bambi's Good Eatin'!"
- Me

"...Somewhere, there are Brownings in a two-hand hold,
Cocked and locked, one up the spout..."
- Jethro Tull
GB1

GunGeek Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
How 'bout this classic:

You can't blow up a gun with black powder.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Ken Howell
When I was a kid, a myth in favor � later refocused on the .357 Magnum � was that a .45 ACP bullet that hit a man on the tip of a finger would knock him down.

cry

I heard that very statement made about the 45 just last week from a coworker. He was talking about getting a gun for home defense, and wanted something that was a sure bet. I've long since given up on saying anything in response. whistle

=====================
Boots were made for walking
Winds were blowing change
Boys fall in the jungle
As I Came of Age

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by ScoutmasterRick
I've long since given up on saying anything in response. whistle

I still have no theory to explain a human trait that has mystified me for decades � the tendency to snatch, to swallow, and to digest the stupidest fallacies on the fly but to withstand simple logic like a boulder that's hit with glancing impacts by a string of BBs.

"Good enough" isn't.

Always take your responsibilities seriously but never yourself.

P
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
P
If the bullet from an M-16 hits you anywhere on the body, even the slightest touch, you will die from the hydrostatic shock. Heard that one in 9th grade.

IC B2

P
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
P
The AK-47 is way too powerful for hunting deer.

P
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
P
A 30-30 rifle is absolutely no good at all as a defense against one of the big bears, but a 44 Magnum revolver is just the ticket.

P
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
P
American small arms always suck compared to the weapons carried by whoever we are fighting against at the time.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Ken Howell
Originally Posted by ScoutmasterRick
I've long since given up on saying anything in response. whistle

I still have no theory to explain a human trait that has mystified me for decades � the tendency to snatch, to swallow, and to digest the stupidest fallacies on the fly but to withstand simple logic like a boulder that's hit with glancing impacts by a string of BBs.

I learned at an early age that a large segment of the population will not only resist logic, but they bitterly resent logic and those who present it (you know...my mind's made up, don't cofuse me with the facts). Science calls it cognitive dissonance, but while they can name it I don't think they can explain it.

=====================
Boots were made for walking
Winds were blowing change
Boys fall in the jungle
As I Came of Age

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
JFK shooting/single rifle (Carcano) theory.

IC B3

GunGeek Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by 30Gibbs
JFK shooting/single rifle (Carcano) theory.

You�re the second person to post that. If you do a deep investigation, it�s quite apparent that there was one shooter. The so called �magic bullet� is clearly put to rest by watching the Zapruder film, where you clearly see both President Kennedy and Governor Connally react to the same bullet. As for the killing shot that appeared to come from the front, again you have to go to the Zapruder film, but you have to look at it frame by frame in the Warren Report (Volume 18 I believe). If you use a ruler to measure the distance from the President�s head to the back of Governor Connally�s seat, you�ll see Kennedy�s head violently tilt and move forward (in the space of about 3 frames IIRC) before the famous snapping back we see on the film. Those 3 frames are almost invisible unless you view it frame by frame.

That accounts for the shots that caused all the wounds. That puts both shots coming from behind, from roughly the same position. The third shot missed and chipped a piece of concrete near the overpass, with the chipped piece of concrete striking a police officer in the face. Again, that third shot, had to come from behind the President.

Now, I don�t know if there was a conspiracy or not�But the ballistic evidence conclusively leads to a single shooter, and the circumstantial evidence is overwhelming for that shooter being Lee Harvey Oswald.

Just my .02 - I've had more than a passing interest in the subject from a shooter/ballistics standpoint.

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
I have owned several Carcano's in the early 60's. What a piece of junk, most didn't even have the bore in the center of the barrel. I worked for an importer at the time and before all the gun control laws. I simply cannot believe the JFK stories after having shot many of there pieces of crap. And, to have the accuracy to do a head shot at the distance Oswald shot from,, real doubtful. Well, maybe he had the exception.

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
I have had a couple of armchair shooters tell me tha my Marlin 45-70 is no good over 50 yards. I would have slapped him if I wasn't laughing so hard......

GunGeek Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Ruger 4570
I have owned several Carcano's in the early 60's. What a piece of junk, most didn't even have the bore in the center of the barrel. I worked for an importer at the time and before all the gun control laws. I simply cannot believe the JFK stories after having shot many of there pieces of crap. And, to have the accuracy to do a head shot at the distance Oswald shot from,, real doubtful. Well, maybe he had the exception.

You�re the second person to post that. If you do a deep investigation, it�s quite apparent that there was one shooter. The so called �magic bullet� is clearly put to rest by watching the Zapruder film, where you clearly see both President Kennedy and Governor Connally react to the same bullet. As for the killing shot that appeared to come from the front, again you have to go to the Zapruder film, but you have to look at it frame by frame in the Warren Report (Volume 18 I believe). If you use a ruler to measure the distance from the President�s head to the back of Governor Connally�s seat, you�ll see Kennedy�s head violently tilt and move forward (in the space of about 3 frames IIRC) before the famous snapping back we see on the film. Those 3 frames are almost invisible unless you view it frame by frame.

That accounts for the shots that caused all the wounds. That puts both shots coming from behind, from roughly the same position. The third shot missed and chipped a piece of concrete near the overpass, with the chipped piece of concrete striking a police officer in the face. Again, that third shot, had to come from behind the President.

Now, I don�t know if there was a conspiracy or not�But the ballistic evidence conclusively leads to a single shooter, and the circumstantial evidence is overwhelming for that shooter being Lee Harvey Oswald.

F
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
F

Ummmm, wasn't it under 100 yards?!?!?

It's been demonstrated many times now, people have used Carcano's, shot from an elevated position to simulate the window he was at, fired the same amount of shots at a target moving away at the same angle/speed/distance, and scored similar hits.

It was either Discovery Channel or The History Channel a couple years back that they did this. They even had the guy shoot lefty.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I heard that one about 45s and military guns, even in the army. I had a 45 assigned to me as my MOS gave me that option. I once got yelled at by the rangemaster for shooting the "L" stock target frames at 50 yards, and I was doing it one-handed. And my 45 was well shot prior to being assigned to me. 55 gallon barrels...indeed.

Mule
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
An M-16 bullet tumbles, that's why it's so deadly.

Mule
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I've watched all the documentaries on this and have come to the conclusion that it just wasn't JFK's day.

IMO,Oswald got off as many shots as he could,and wasn't really aiming.The last shot was likely out of pure bad luck for JFK.

I had a friend who deer hunted with a Carcano,and it had acceptable accuracy-certainly enough to hit a man at 100 yards (I believe the shooting was at about 80 yards or so IIRC).The action is hard to work on those though,so he must have been really winging it to get those shots off that fast-hence my assumption that he was "spraying and praying".

What I never understood was why Oswald didn't set up where he could shoot as the car drove twards him,instead of having to shoot from the strange angle he had.Of course,in the heat of the moment,maybe he didn't think about that.

I think all the conspiracy theories come out of the fact that people don't like to think that a lone gunman could kill the president.Lincoln and Mckinnely were both killed by lone gunmen (though both a part of a conspiracy),who simply walked up to them and shot them.The same thing with the nut that tried to kill Reagen.So it's not hard to believe that one guy killed JFK.

WB.

"You set your own goals for success, and when you succeed it don't necessarily mean that you're going to be a big star or make a lot of money or anything. You'll feel it in your heart whether you've succeeded or not." - Roy Buchanan
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by friendlyfireisnt

Ummmm, wasn't it under 100 yards?!?!?

It's been demonstrated many times now, people have used Carcano's, shot from an elevated position to simulate the window he was at, fired the same amount of shots at a target moving away at the same angle/speed/distance, and scored similar hits.

It was either Discovery Channel or The History Channel a couple years back that they did this. They even had the guy shoot lefty.

Ninety yards. If you go to Dealy Plaza, stand on the X, and look back up at the window, it doesn't look that far even. It was an incredibly easy shot. Ninety percent of the people on the Campfire could have made that shot.

Last edited by Cossatotjoe; 06/12/07.
W
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
W
"Leupold scopes are just an average scope".

"Factory barrels will never shoot good".

And, my personal favorite, and consequently a pet peeve:

"Big Game Hunting Rifles need not be accurate..........."

[Linked Image]
Page 6 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

500 members (01Foreman400, 10Glocks, 1moredeer, 1beaver_shooter, 160user, 219DW, 48 invisible), 13,447 guests, and 1,493 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,195,050
Posts18,540,829
Members74,053
Most Online21,066
07:15 PM

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.