Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
My middle grandson Nolan is an awesome Little League pitcher. When he was 8, his team was undefeated and his ERA was 0.00. His coach’s last name was Ryan, and Nolan told him at the end of the year .....”Coach, if I was your son, I’d be Nolan Ryan.” Back then, there was a 65 pitch limit to how many pitches a kid could throw before he had to be relieved. Nolan had many 10 pitch innings, which meant he could pitch an entire 6 inning game.

Jesus saves, but Moses invests
GB1

K
Kellywk Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
K
Originally Posted by JGRaider
Another pretty good Pudge/Nolan story that Pudge told me........

Pudge had been in the Big League's a couple/three years by now and it was spring training time. One afternoon they were having an intersquad game, and Nolan was pitching, but Pudge happened to be on the opposing team so he was at the plate. He said by some act of God he swung at a fastball out over the plate and launched one out of the park to right center field. He couldn't believe it either. The next time at he was at the plate Nolan drilled him in the left thigh with a "toned down" 90mph fastball. Pudge said it was a more glancing blow thank goodness. In typical Nolan fashion he was about half way to home plate after the incident, and Pudge by than had dropped his bat and started towards first base. He says to Nolan "hey man, what are you doing, I'ts SPRING TRAINING.....I'm still your every day catcher"! Nolan had a grin on his face and replied, "you know I can't let you or anyone else get away with that don't you"? Pudge told me........."That's why I love Nolan, and that's exactly the kind of guy I want on my team"!

I thought that was just an awesome story.

Heard a story once that the Cardinals had a father/son game for fun in spring training and Bob Gibson knocked his son down for crowding the Plate

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by ring3
Don’t remember Seaver and Ryan being rookies the same year. Thinking Seaver was the year before. Jerry Koosman was a rookie with Ryan I think.

Ryan’s longevity a dominance are amazing. Had he been it’s a decent team anytime in his career he would be more widely remembered. Lots of players have been similarly afflicted.

Look at Ryan’s stats and compare/contrast win/loss with ERA. Now think what the win/loss might have been if his teams had any semblance of offense. Prime of his career with the Angels and Astros. Pity. Same could be said of many other players through the years, Mathews, Banks, Kaline, etc..... .

Another amazing stat, Ryan stuckout 383 in 1973. Likely untouchable and everybit as incredible to me as Dimagio’s 56 game hit streak.

You're right. Ryan's debut was Sept 1966; Seaver's was 7 months later, both with the Mets. So it may have not been until '67. Jerry Koosman and Tug McGraw? were the other two.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
K
Kellywk Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
K
Originally Posted by ironbender
Originally Posted by ring3
Don’t remember Seaver and Ryan being rookies the same year. Thinking Seaver was the year before. Jerry Koosman was a rookie with Ryan I think.

Ryan’s longevity a dominance are amazing. Had he been it’s a decent team anytime in his career he would be more widely remembered. Lots of players have been similarly afflicted.

Look at Ryan’s stats and compare/contrast win/loss with ERA. Now think what the win/loss might have been if his teams had any semblance of offense. Prime of his career with the Angels and Astros. Pity. Same could be said of many other players through the years, Mathews, Banks, Kaline, etc..... .

Another amazing stat, Ryan stuckout 383 in 1973. Likely untouchable and everybit as incredible to me as Dimagio’s 56 game hit streak.

You're right. Ryan's debut was Sept 1966; Seaver's was 7 months later, both with the Mets. So it may have not been until '67. Jerry Koosman and Tug McGraw? were the other two.

Ryan and Koosman shared a rookie card back when they put two rookies on the same one. But from what I remember Ryan was officially a rookie in 1968. He was a late callup in 66 that didn’t get enough innings to lose his rookie designation and then spent 67 on military duty

Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

114 members (10gaugemag, 14idaho, 1beaver_shooter, 24HourCampFireGuy50, 300_savage, 673, 19 invisible), 1,418 guests, and 1,012 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,864
Posts18,478,665
Members73,948
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.