Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
CWT Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular

Alcohol, Tobacco & Firearms should be a convenience store; not a government agency.
GB1

M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
Now that's what I call doing the "Funky Chicken" we have them here but never seen the dance, thanks for sharing.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
That is neat. Whole body moves but eye is damned near stable. A first view for me as well.

1Minute
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Never saw that dance, but have seen the sky dance several times.

You're Welcome At My Fire Anytime

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
I see woodcock walking like that a handful of times each year. One of the guesses is they do so to test footing but it seems this often occurs on hard surfaces which would rule out this theory. Some think it is done to mimic wind movement but I've seen it done on still days as well as windy plus having observed more woodcock walk around as typical I have doubts on this reason. I've also heard this is a method of triangulation to detect prey which seems a little more likely as it does occur in "normal" ground too but again, hard ground would prevent the bird from reaching its prey. It is one of those oddities that we may never know for sure why it's done.

Sky dancing has been going on for a few weeks here. If one is careful, they can move to within feet of where the male begins his dance. I've known people who have captured a male while found so but my luck has not been nearly as good. I've had better luck netting mudbats using lights, at night, in the rain than stalking them while they are dancing.

The first broods should be hatching in the next week or so per buddies who have found nests already. I hope to get out scouting/banding this weekend if the weather and wife permits.

IC B2

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Hey guys, that's what I look like now on the dance floor!!! Used to be pretty handy with my feet, just keeping them under me is a challenge. Bill out. πŸΎπŸ‘£πŸΎπŸ‘£πŸ‡¨πŸ‡¦

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
That's cute. Thanks for posting.

LOL
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
thanks. never knew that. Cool birds and they always seem to scare the crap out of you walking into your deer stand in predawn hours when they kick up under your feet lol

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have never seen one. Where they do live, are they plentiful?

Are they common in a lot of states or just a few?

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Woodcock are found mostly east of the Mississippi River. Their numbers are dropping but they are still fairly plentiful in early growth forests. They eat insects and worms so migrate from the north to the south in winter. They are about the size of a bobwhite but have long beaks, long legs, and big feet. Adult males will have beaks shorter than the width of a dollar bill, females will be longer.

Females and juveniles migrate earlier while males stick around. They do not travel in flocks but they will congregate in areas during the migration. A covert may be bare on one day and hold dozens the next depending on winds. Or, a covert will empty out just as quickly.

Timberdoodles, bog suckers, mudbats, et al generally sit tight to danger but I've seen more and more waddle out from a point, especially in heavily hunted areas. They are still great birds to work young pointers on.

Woodcock are found in in thicker, wetter ruffed grouse type cover in the north and "swamp quail" cover in the south. I find it most comfortable to wear rubber boots when targeting woodcock specifically.

I've done a lot of woodcock "hunting" in the spring,The chicks are hatched with feet 3/4 the size of adults. This allows one to band the chicks prior to flying. We use pointing dogs to locate broods and then net the chicks (and hopefully the hen) starting about now in the spring and continuing into June. One needs to be licensed and have experienced, good handling dogs to do this but it is a good way of learning about the bird and getting into the woods. Last weekend was a scouting session and 4 nests were found. The one should be hatching early next week with the other following over the next week and a half. The trick will be to find them even though the chicks will often be within a hundred yards of the nest for roughly the first week.

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Thanks woodmaster81, You have just answered my question except for migration. How far is migration? Do they fly long distances in flocks?
What's a good source of information I can read so I won't have to bother you. grin
I can see a road trip in the future!

Ken

CWT Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular

Alcohol, Tobacco & Firearms should be a convenience store; not a government agency.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
They fly through my part of Eastern PA, Southern NJ and Delaware every fall.

They are a blast to hunt and I have friends that specialize in them.

[Linked Image from live.staticflickr.com]

"Somehow, the sound of a shotgun tends to cheer one up" -- Robert Ruark
CWT Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
My woodcock dog pointing a rabbit.
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I had this Browning O/U customized to honor the Timberdoodle.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Thanks for furthering my education CWT,ROMAC & woodmaster.

What a neat little bird. ROMAC, you have succeeded in honoring the Timberdoodle! CWT, I had a Short hair once. Mine mostly pointed Mule Deer and Porcupines --- grin

W
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
W
Originally Posted by ROMAC
They fly through my part of Eastern PA, Southern NJ and Delaware every fall.

They are a blast to hunt and I have friends that specialize in them.

I've killed a few but never actively hunted them. I think the limit here is four.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Yes, but what do taste like? Are they good on the table?

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
They taste as much like dove as pheasants taste like chicken.

Any recipe for dove works for them just as well.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Interesting birds. Thanks.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

225 members (257 mag, 160user, 12344mag, 10Glocks, 2500HD, 1eyedmule, 16 invisible), 1,698 guests, and 998 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,388
Posts18,469,804
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.