Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Good stories!
I'll relate a little more on the M94 mentioned in the OP.
My grandfather was in the Sheriff's office and was called out on a shooting back in the 40's. Seems a couple of kids were playing cowboys and indians
with a 30-30 . They thought they had it unloaded but it had a weak magazine spring so it didn't always feed the last round. You can imagine what happened. When he got done with the investigation, he took the rifle back to the owner but they didn't want it back for obvious reasons so he kept it (he got a new magazine spring installed).
Years later when I was in need of a hunting rifle my great uncle had the 30-30 and was using it to shoot gophers in his yard. Even in a small town in the early 60's, shooting a high powered rifle in town was causing some concern amongst the neighbors so my grandfather got the rifle back and gave it to me. It is entirely possible my need of a rifle was just an excuse to disarm my great uncle since my grandfather had a cabinet full of other rifles he could have given me.
I used that rifle to shoot many deer and true to the saying, you could eat right up to the hole. I once shot a V shaped groove through the top of a deer's heart and we ate the heart.
When I worked as a wrangler for an outfitter in the Flattops I carried that rifle everyday since you couldn't even feel it when on horseback. Once when we were driving a herd of horses up from the trailhead down by Meeker some of the horses took off through the pines and I spurred my horse to go after them. We were galloping after them dodging through the trees when my horse cut a little too close to a pine and rammed my knee into the tree. That evening when we got the horses in the corral at the lodge I pulled the 30-30 from it's scabbard and the magazine tube was bent from the tree-knee-horse encounter!
Probably haven't shot that rifle for 40 years but is isn't going anywhere.

I am continually astounded at how quickly people make up their minds on little evidence or none at all.
Jack O'Connor
GB1

V
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
V
I love my rifles but there ain't a one in My safe that I would not sell, so i guess my answer is no I do not get attached to my rifles.....Hb

U
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
U
I've only gotten attached to rifles with walnut stocks and blued steel. I have several rifles with synthetic stocks, but none of them warm my soul. Neither does a stainless rifle. I bow hunt, too, but could never bring myself to own a compound bow. They have no soul. A custom made recurve or longbow is a whole different matter. I own several of each and they all have a special spirit to them.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by Blacktailer
Do you have rifles that because of their significance in your life you could never part with or are they just "tools"?
Some that I will always have are my dad's Win M69 22LR that is the first rifle I ever shot at age 4.
Western Field 22LR, I still remember that long box with my name on it under the Christmas tree when I was 9.
M94 30-30 my first deer rifle at age 10.
M54 30-06 that was my grandfather's, I recall many days sitting with him on deer stands listening to the hounds run.
M70 375H&H, when I booked my first safari my brother who was a rifle looney said if he ever went to Africa, that's what he would buy. Unfortunately he passed before I made the trip.
What are yours?
.......................Nope! I don't get attached. That way it is easier to either sell or trade 'em should I either get tired of them or find something better.

If a collector where big $$ are involved, then that might be a different story to either keep or sell if the price was right.

No attachments for me.

28 Nosler,,,,300WSM,,,,338-378 Wby,,,,375 Ruger

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Cool story Blacktailer 👍

...though I don’t know how I would feel about owning a rifle involved in a mishap like that. A rifle is just steel/wood/plastic, etc., but perhaps I’m a little superstitious as well.

Stuck in airports, Terrorized
Sent to meetings, Hypnotized
Over-exposed, Commercialized
Handle me with Care...
-Traveling Wilbury's
IC B2

W
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
W
Well said Tyrone!!!

Molon Labe
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I have a lot of rifles over the years several true collectables. I have shot them all. Only one rifle has stayed the course. Bought it in 1978. A 1944 BCD code Mauser 98K in a Bishop stock. My "first deer rifle" Original barrel, still 8X57. Just got married, and money was tight. Blew the budget and had a Redfield peep sight installed. I think it was $150 for the whole thing. Not worth much now, never drilled or tapped. I took a lot of deer with that Mauser in the Northern Minnesota woods. Which was a good thing. I spent the money and needed to prove its worth by getting meat. Took my biggest Whitetail with the Mauser as well. A 10 pointer that went over 350 #'s field dressed. I take it out now and then, but my old eyes can't do that well at 100 yards as they used too. Still minute of deer in the woods however.

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Yes I do.

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
Some yes, some no.

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
No, like/love? hell yes, mental attachment? no.

Trump Won!
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Do you have rifles that because of their significance in your life you could never part with or are they just "tools"?
Some that I will always have are my dad's Win M69 22LR that is the first rifle I ever shot at age 4.
Western Field 22LR, I still remember that long box with my name on it under the Christmas tree when I was 9.
M54 30-06 that was my grandfather's, I recall many days sitting with him on deer stands listening to the hounds run.
M70 375H&H, when I booked my first safari my brother who was a rifle looney said if he ever went to Africa, that's what he would buy. Unfortunately he passed before I made the trip.
What are yours?

Just tools to me.

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
all my guns are tools. i have had rifles with which i killed several elk and deer. as soon as a son or sil shows an interest, i give it to him and buy another. i like to buy a rifle, scope it, kill a few deer and an elk or 2, then give it to one of my children or grandchildren. i want all my kids and grandkids (14 grands so far) to have a rifle or shotgun i used. i can always get another. ymmv.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
All of mine are tools to be used. That being said I have a few that I am very attached to and would not sell. Others that I am not attached to but still use allot but would sell or trade. This thread got me thinking and all the ones that I am attached to are either family guns that were passed down to me or two that were very special gifts given to me. It also happens that those that I am attached to are all extremely practical and have been used to take a crazy amount of game. It also happens that all are wood and blued steel even through a couple have a whole lot of character from long and active use.

W
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
W
Heck yea. They each have significance and a story. My kids know them all.

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
What are yours?

I seem hold all firearms to be tools. I have a sentimental affection for a few but tend to pass those on to family members as they reach an appropriate age. My first .22 (a Model 55 Winchester single shot) is with my oldest daughter, my fathers Model 88 .308 is with my oldest son and will go to his son and so forth.

When I went in the Marines I sold off a bunch of firearms I wish I had back. I probably wouldn't part with them willingly.

The other ones I treasure are held in that regard because of the success I have had with them. A Model 70 FW Classic SS All-Terrain .30-06, Ruger 10/22 HB, Ithaca 87 DU 12 ga with 4 extra barrels, S&W Model 651 .22 Mag, Glock 19 and a M24D Savage .22 WMR/20 Gauge make the cut.

R
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
R
I would never sell my service weapons, Ruger Police Service Six, Ruger SP101, and my S&W 5946. I carried them for 20 years in the streets of Brooklyn. If those guns could talk............

Campfire Savant
Online Content
Campfire Savant
I have the first gun I bought at a Globe store in 68. It’s a Stevens 12 gauge double. I’m attached to it.

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Absolutely. Several were gifts or inherited. Those stay forever. Also, some have hunting stories that keep adding up. A tool is something to make a living with, I hunt for enjoyment and I do get attached to my rifles.
GreggH

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M

I have several firearms that I have a great deal of attachment for, for a list of various reasons. But, pertaining to hunting......one stands alone!

I’m a “one” rifle hunter, and wanted a rifle/cartridge for all big game on all continents. Yes, I was gonna be “rich and famous”, and hunt the world! I had my dream rifle built in 1989, which would be fully capable of fulfilling my wants/needs!

“Fast Forward”, I’ve never been out of the states, and likely will not! However, the rifle has proven to be everything I had envisioned. The rifle, even though a wildcat (.375 AI).....factory ammo is easily accessible worldwide. The rifle, at just over 9 pounds scoped, loaded, and slung....is light enough for carry, heavy enough to temper recoil (without a brake) and offer good stability for offhand shooting, moderately weather-proof, legal for dangerous game in caliber restricted African countries, with enough velocity to be very effective beyond 600 yards (my personal limit). My present load is 250 grain Barnes TTSX’s @ 3130 mv, and will give sub 2”, 3-shot groups @ 300 yards from the bench with regularity!

So yes......I’m attached to that rifle! memtb

Last edited by memtb; 04/30/20.

You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong." -Bob Hagel

“I’d like to be a good rifleman…..but, I prefer to be a good hunter”! memtb 2024
M
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
M
All my firearms are tools but I wouldn’t part with the ones my dad bought me. A marlin 15y 22, Winchester 37 16 gauge, and a Ruger 77 sporter ss and laminat in 280rem. None of them are anything really special but they were my firsts and gifts and my kids will end up with them.

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

526 members (1beaver_shooter, 219 Wasp, 222Sako, 160user, 19rabbit52, 06hunter59, 49 invisible), 3,083 guests, and 1,222 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,658
Posts18,533,977
Members74,041
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.