Campfire Outfitter
S
For sailors of warships only!

Even birds know not to land downwind!

H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
No one in my family has one. That I know of.

hanco Offline OP
Campfire Savant
OP Offline
Campfire Savant
I forgot my daughter in law has a few. She is smuggling a water melon right now. She had a few contractions earlier in the day, at doctors office now. Grandchild number 5 is trying to pop out early. You can see part of tat on her back leg.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]free web image hosting

Last edited by hanco; 05/04/20.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
No tattoos. No piercings. No ponytail. No beard. No man bun.

RDW Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Buncha judgemental old fk'rs...all of ya'll would bang every one one of those women like a 14 year old with a walking hard-on if you had an opportunity but you don't and won't so ya'll act the part of the 'fire and condemn them laugh

Dave

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have both of my forearms done, and would do it again in a heartbeat.

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
I had a boss back in the 1970’s who was a Marine in the Korean War. One day, we were playing golf in hot weather and were wearing shorts. For the first time, I noticed a tattoo on his ankle. When I remarked that I didn’t see him as a tattoo type guy, he said he wasn’t- the North Koreans had given it to him when he was a POW. I felt like a turd and apologized, but he said no problem, there’s no way you could have known.

Jesus saves, but Moses invests
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by BillyGoatGruff
Originally Posted by Birdwatcher
Originally Posted by MAC
I spent 25 years in the USN. So, yeah I've got them. But I got them in places you don't see. I can be standing next to you in a short sleeved shirt and you will never know that standing next to you is a tatted up retired Navy Chief. I was smart enough to know that after the USN I'd still have to work since you can't really retire on military retired pay. First impressions being important I wanted to look respectable. I now teach HS and not one of the other teachers, faculty staff or students even know I have them.

Back in the winter of '83 I drove a truckload of blankets from New York State out to Pine Ridge in South Dakota, and subsequently met the guy who later played the role of the wise old guy in Dances with Wolves (the guy who gets taken out by Wes Studi's Pawnee).

In the movie he's always wearing a hide or buckskin shirt, long sleeves.

The reason for that is he was a lifer in the Navy, and down each arm had tattoed the names of several vessels, a bunch. I would guess those were the names of the ships he had served on.

This is an example of a passive/aggressive post. Speak plainly, you're not as clever as you think.

I'm puzzled, what on earth is passive/aggressive about that?

I returned from Africa in 1983, was straight away re-hired by my old boss at the Forestry School from where I graduated and given a job as a field tech.

I had a degree in Forestry, thought I'd get a degree in Agriculture and take it back overseas, ergo I applied to Grad Schools in Minnesota, North Dakota, Colorado, Kansas, Oklahoma and at Texas A&M. My GRE numbers, grades and recommendations were all good, I had also just spent three years in Africa. IIRC I got nibbles from all of them and so went out to visit. At the time I bought my Uncle's rusted-out Dodge Ramcharger, 4WD extended cab and cap and used that for the trip.

That was the winter of '83, at that time the churches in Syracuse were collecting blankets to send out to Pine Ridge. I called one up offering the use of my truck and was referred to the Onondaga Reservation just outside of town.

At that time the famous/infamous AIM guy Dennis Banks had been given sanctuary by the Onondagas, I wasn't looking to meet famous Indians but I had already made the offer and it seemed ungracious to take it back.

I ended up visiting the Bank's family three or four times for dinner. Part of this was I think they wanted to see if I was a plant, another part was I got the impression they were happy to meet someone who didn't have an agenda. OTOH I was photographed in my truck three of four times at the Rez line and on Pine Ridge by who I assume was the FBI. I also got pulled over by the a BIA Cop (nice guy) pretty much on arrival on Pine Ridge. Mr Banks and his family had loaded up my truck with blankets for their relatives on Pine Ridge. That was January of '84.

Minnesota is full of Norwegians, tall Norwegians, I felt like a dwarf in the cafeteria. In Bismark North Dakota I was told by the grad students there was nothing to do and you couldn't even ride a bicycle without getting blown over by the wind grin

I delivered the blankets to a place called Porcupine on Pine Ridge, I met Russel Means with his Japanese kamikaze head band in passing. Who I remember most was a nice young woman with the nice name of Stephanie Autumn. There was a blizzard in Colorado where I was headed next so I ended up staying with some young longhair traditionalist Lakotas for four or five days.

I got offered Assistanceships at all those schools but ended up going to Texas A&M that had the most active overseas research program, that's what brung me to Texas in the first place. Ag research was boring as all get out, but I stuck it out anyway because I hate to quit anything, so while I was there I got certified to teach as well as my Master of Science.

The old Navy guy with the tatoos, with a countenance like the buffalo nickel, was apparently a Traditional Holy Guy of some standing, or at least he was the guy running the pipe and the sweetgrass purification at a thing I was at. He was wearing a t-shirt and you could see his ship tattoos. As I recall someone told me he had been a lifer in the Navy. Some years later I saw him again in the movie. Dennis Banks then wife did the casting for that movie so that was probably the connection.

I was concerned when I did my background checks for my CHL twenty-five years ago that my fleeting association with the top AIM guys might throw a wrench in that, never did.

What else do ya wanna know?

Whoops, edited in, I ain't seen the movie in years but I just recalled the Navy veteran is the first guy to look up in the scene where Wind-In-His-Hair and his buddies get back from rescuing Kevin from the evil White men, ergo it had to be a different old guy that was taken out by Wes Studi's evil Pawnee in that village attack scene.

Last edited by Birdwatcher; 05/04/20.

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by hanco
I forgot my daughter in law has a few. She is smuggling a water melon right now. She had a few contractions earlier in the day, at doctors office now. Grandchild number 5 is trying to pop out early. You can see part of tat on her back leg.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]free web image hosting

Ain't too many things in life more attractive than a soon-to-be mom. Congrats cool

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744
Page 9 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

587 members (160user, 16penny, 10ring1, 007FJ, 1badf350, 17CalFan, 54 invisible), 2,955 guests, and 1,275 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,489
Posts18,490,354
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.