Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 11 of 21 1 2 9 10 11 12 13 20 21
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by jorgeI
So it begs the question, aside from the 2" of extra penetration during the FBI shooting (where the 9mm failed) and the 40 is SUCH a burden, why did half the known world go to the 40 in the first place, over a bullet? Once again government bureaucracy and feathermerchants rule the roost... BTW, Paul Harrell has a BUNCH of really good videos. I highly recommend him.

The guy has a few entertaining and informative videos, but those are mostly his older stuff. He's starting to get long winded, whiny, and defensive about viewer comments. The guy needs to trip his give-a-[bleep] and tell what he knows.

"Chances Will Be Taken"

GB1

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by johnw
He's starting to get long winded, whiny, and defensive about viewer comments.

That's been my observation, as well.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
My agency has not even considered switching back to the 9mm. We are staying with the G22, 40 cal, Federal 180gr HST. Some of our neighboring agencies have switched over. The largest of them did so after a huge mistake of trying to adopt FN 40 cal pistols from Sig's 40 cal. It was a nightmare for them. No 9mm is in out immediate future.

D
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
D
The main reason the FBI switched back to the 9mm is an easy one to understand: $$$. The dollar amount for ammunition per Agent has been EXACTLY the same since 1998. Back then ammo was plentiful. Every quarterly qualification everyone would shoot up the duty ammo they had acquired the quarter before and then would be issued fresh duty ammo. Fast forward decades, the dollar amount from 1998 is the same, but ammo prices have skyrocketed. Now the first thing a shooter does is download all service ammo and save it.

The cost of ammo was the driving reason for the switch. Additional "benefits"? Marginal shooters of .40 S&W or .45 ACP can now pass the qualification course with a 9mm. Saves time and money because a trainee does not have to be recycled for remedial shooting so graduates on time, fewer lost trainees due to failure to qualify so the cost of background checks and hiring is saved, etc. Simple.

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Yep. If there's one thing that I know, it's that the Federal Government is always looking to be more frugal with our money. That has to be the explanation.

IC B2

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
cs2blue,

After my agency said that we're going to the 9 but was still deciding between a Glock or a Sig, I bitched a little because no consideration was apparently given to any other makes, even for personal purchase. If you don't mind, what FN was tried and what were the problems?

When I came to my present agency in 2003, we were using .357 Sigs. I bitched then when we went to .40s, but 9s??? The horror.

Thanks.

U
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
U
Originally Posted by DR505
The main reason the FBI switched back to the 9mm is an easy one to understand: $$$. The dollar amount for ammunition per Agent has been EXACTLY the same since 1998. Back then ammo was plentiful. Every quarterly qualification everyone would shoot up the duty ammo they had acquired the quarter before and then would be issued fresh duty ammo. Fast forward decades, the dollar amount from 1998 is the same, but ammo prices have skyrocketed. Now the first thing a shooter does is download all service ammo and save it.

That's odd because CBP quals with duty ammo. They don't have anything like FMJ range ammo.

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage

The cost of ammo was the driving reason for the switch. Additional "benefits"? Marginal shooters of .40 S&W or .45 ACP can now pass the qualification course with a 9mm. Saves time and money because a trainee does not have to be recycled for remedial shooting so graduates on time, fewer lost trainees due to failure to qualify so the cost of background checks and hiring is saved, etc. Simple.

Where are you getting this information?

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by UPhiker

That's odd because CBP quals with duty ammo. They don't have anything like FMJ range ammo.

Incorrecto.

My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
My agency qualed with duty ammo, and ball. Took the highest of two scores, and replaced duty ammo with fresh.

IC B3

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Stray, it was the FNS 40 cal, they had a mess of issues with them. Such as, front sights detaching from the slide, accidental discharges (holster related), excessive slide temps during testing( against of the weapons) finish flaking off. functioning was poor, and a high incidence of internal parts breakage. To the tune of 1.4 million $. Last and the worst issue. One of their firearms instructors and head of the testing staff was a competitive shooter factory sponsored by who............................................................................................................. FN Herstal of course!!! What a cluster!!!!. Now they are carrying glock 17, 9mms. 147gr. go figure, Outside of the skewed test results where FN was the winner????. A reevaluation of the testing data revealed that glock had actually come out as the winner. 2 years worth of headaches and money wasted. All because of one guy!

U
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
U
Originally Posted by deflave

Incorrecto.

Wrong. I work at a range where the local CBP officers qual and am very good friends with the FIs.

jorgeI Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by MOGC
[
It seems to be a lot easier to hit chit on the internet than in real life.

Or a well trained shooter. Lots of incidents out there of well aimed, precise fire neutralized opponents. Sgt Alvin C York with one of those "archaic" 1911s comes to mind, where he engaged and neutralized four charging Germans (with rifles and fixed bayonets) and close range and NOWHERE was I insinuating I could have done better, but I get it this is as you say the internet where taking swipes at posters is "de rigeur". Now maintaining focus whilst being "locked on" by AAA radar and pressing, well I can relate to that...
A few here "get it". and incidentally, there WERE MP-5s in the stakeout, but those agents were out of position and did not participate...

Last edited by jorgeI; 05/02/20.

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by rickt300
Does the fact that a bullet can penetrate a 1/8 steel plate have any relevance when shooting at people? Yes, there is that one in a thousand chance of the bad guy hiding behind steel, but other than that...

However I feel a bullet should be able to penetrate both sides of an empty 55 gallon steel drum and do damage on the far side.

A 124 grain XTP JHP will penetrated through 2 55 gallon drums and into the third denting the offside. This only demonstrates the ability to penetrate the steel drums with plenty of stream, nothing correltes to shooting living flesh by shooting steel

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage

Wrong. I work at a range where the local CBP officers qual and am very good friends with the FIs.

OFO is one portion of CBP.

CBP purchases FMJ ammo. They have for years.

D
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
D

CBP is not the FBI. One is DHS, the other is DOJ.

U
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
U

OFO is one portion of CBP.

CBP purchases FMJ ammo. They have for years.

Correct, but it is, by far, the largest division. We get US Customs and Air & Marine and the local BP wants to use our range again. They used to, but stopped. Customs is on our range 10-5, 3 days a week.

U
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
U

CBP is not the FBI. One is DHS, the other is DOJ.
I am aware of that. I just assumed (I know, I know :)) that the FBI would do that also. The only unit I know of that uses practice ammo is are the Fidos (FFDO) and they don't really count.

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage

Correct, but it is, by far, the largest division. We get US Customs and Air & Marine and the local BP wants to use our range again. They used to, but stopped. Customs is on our range 10-5, 3 days a week.

I believe you.

But CBP buys and uses practice ammo.

They have for years.

79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

I believe you.

But CBP buys and uses practice ammo.

They have for years.

Hey stay at home dad, go grocery shopping!

Originally Posted by Bricktop
Then STFU. The rest of your statement is superflous bullshit with no real bearing on this discussion other than to massage your own ego.

Suckin' on my titties like you wanted me.
Page 11 of 21 1 2 9 10 11 12 13 20 21

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

554 members (12344mag, 2500HD, 222Sako, 160user, 240NMC, 1lessdog, 64 invisible), 2,299 guests, and 1,267 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,291
Posts18,486,921
Members73,967
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.