Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
M
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
M
Interesting thread I have an older Stihl 034 AVZ Super and husky that I inherited been thinking on the 620 Echo for use with an Alaskan chain saw mill. Good thread. MB

" Cheapest velocity in the world comes from a long barrel and I sure do like them. MB "

I
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I
As for me, I dont think I have the electric carb cause I bought my MS441 10 yrs ago. I can tell you the 362 is a great size. If I had to choose 1 saw it would be the 036/360/ 362 size. I have an old 034 . Had it for 28 yrs. It is not a real powerful saw but it is 4.1 horse. The MS441 is 5.5 horse and that is a huge difference. I can run through an ash log pretty fast with the 441. Also, if you get 2 bars , a 25 and a 16" , it seems the 16" bar cuts a little faster for some reason. With the 16" you will run through smaller hardwood very fast and seems the smaller bar is a bit " handier. The 034 starts every time but sometimes takes 5? pulls. The 441 , will flood if you dont start it quite right when cold. Goes like crazy though with the 20" bar.

But the fruits of the spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness,faithfulness, Gentleness and self control. Against such things there is no law. Galations 5: 22&23
B
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by marktheshark
Have the mtronic in a 261, 362, and 462. Never had a problem with any and use them heavily. All the new ones are the 3rd version of mtronic which from all accounts has the bugs which some reported in the older versions worked out. Nice to have the machine self adjust rather then mess with manual carb adjustments, especially if someone isnt handy with such adjustments and can save time in the field.

As far as the 362CM, its been a great saw for me. Easy to start, Great power at a easily managed weight with good antivibe system that makes it easy to use for extended cutting sessions. Like the features such as the captive bar nuts also. I run a 20" bar with a yellow label full chisel chain normally, if I had to use a 25" Id probably look for a full skip chain. Never tried it though, thats why I have the 462. Often recommend the 362 to people who have plans to only own one saw.

I definitely agree with your statement especially if you were looking for the One saw to do all, The MS 362 is tough to beat. I run a 25 inch bar on my 461, threw it on the 362 with a full skip chain I thought it was a little much for the 362, she’ll run with it just a little slower, I keep a 20 inch bar on the 362, But she’s a damn fine saw.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I don’t know...but we had a hurricane and my 6” Bradford pear blew over, I bought an Echo...it’s my first saw and everything else sucks.

Campfire Savant
Online Content
Campfire Savant
I have a couple of Stihls, good luck with them.

IC B2

B
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by hanco
I have a couple of Stihls, good luck with them.

You have had good luck with them or you haven’t had good luck with them?

J
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
J
The Forest Service won't let their people or want us volunteers use them. We were told they have at times splashed hot fuel on a person when opening them up to refuel. Maybe to top off. I have a Stihl and never had that problem, so I can't speak to it. I really like the saw though. It doesn't get run much, but when I need it too it starts well.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
The one thing you should definitely look at, is the Stihl Pro version of whichever size saw you think you need. The pro versions have a few features that are definitely worth the extra money. If you are fixed as to price range, IMO in the long run it is better to get a size smaller in the pro version.

P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
Originally Posted by slumlord
In before:

“ I don’t know...but we had a hurricane and my 6” Bradford pear blew over, I bought an Echo...it’s my first saw and everything else sucks”

This, and conversely those that feel that a pro saw is required for any twig that needs cut.

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
By all means determine what your needs or job is that you will use your saw(s) for. A Bradford pear blow down or 50+ per 10 acre Ash (emerald ash borers) kill require different saws.

IC B3

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
I use a ms261 and ms362 occasionally for work. The 362 has a 20” bar and regular carb. The 261 has an 18” bar and m-tronic carb. The 261 is by far my favorite and have had no issues with it

The elevation varies a lot here anywhere from 2000 to 9000+ and the m-tronic adjusts for that.

I
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
I
This is what I run, with a big bore kit in it, screams through wood. I have a 290 and a 170 but if I'm not using the 441 my Milwaukee chainsaw is what I use 18volt cordless can go for almost a hour on it

You've got to hand it to a blind prostitute
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Originally Posted by Just a Hunter
The Forest Service won't let their people or want us volunteers use them. We were told they have at times splashed hot fuel on a person when opening them up to refuel. Maybe to top off. I have a Stihl and never had that problem, so I can't speak to it. I really like the saw though. It doesn't get run much, but when I need it too it starts well.

That has been reversed.

There would be pressure in the tank. That gets it to the carb.

Opening the tank to refuel and they get splashed.

Not if it’s level. And why do you open the tank to refill when there is gas in the tank?

It was a government knee jerk reaction.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Ejp1234
Just curious why you want the 362? Thats a big azz saw... id really look if you need that much HP, as it gets heavy quickly. 90% can be handled with an 18” or smaller and you dont need a 3 series to run that.

To your question, not a fan of the m-tronic myself.

Not a big saw. Great saw for a one saw person.

Myself I throw them with an 044/046 hybrid a friend built for me. Cut it quick.

Then go to a 261 M Tronic. Love it. My go to saw. Starts on fourth pull. Burbs on third. Then runs.
Hundreds of tanks thru it zero problems.

An 084 gets heavy. Lol. But you aren’t swinging it a lot either.

But I’m old......and like old saws too.

I
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I
Originally Posted by 257_X_50

Originally Posted by Just a Hunter

That has been reversed.

There would be pressure in the tank. That gets it to the carb.

Opening the tank to refuel and they get splashed.

Not if it’s level. And why do you open the tank to refill when there is gas in the tank?

It was a government knee jerk reaction.

My question would be: How hot could the fuel in the gas tank possibly be? Gasoline has a boiling point around 110 degrees.

Our old Ford 8N tractor had the fuel tank mounted just a few inches directly above the flathead four engine. On a warm summer day, with a little bit of work plowing or discing, the fuel in the tank would boil vigorously. But you could still stick you finger into the fuel to check the level in the tank.

You certainly did not want anyone lighting a cigarette on the down wind side. The fuel vapors pouring out from under the filler cap were quite visible in the air, like mirage through a high power scope.

People who choose to brew up their own storms bitch loudest about the rain.
E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
Originally Posted by 257_X_50
Originally Posted by Ejp1234
Just curious why you want the 362? Thats a big azz saw... id really look if you need that much HP, as it gets heavy quickly. 90% can be handled with an 18” or smaller and you dont need a 3 series to run that.

To your question, not a fan of the m-tronic myself.

Not a big saw. Great saw for a one saw person.

Myself I throw them with an 044/046 hybrid a friend built for me. Cut it quick.

Then go to a 261 M Tronic. Love it. My go to saw. Starts on fourth pull. Burbs on third. Then runs.
Hundreds of tanks thru it zero problems.

An 084 gets heavy. Lol. But you aren’t swinging it a lot either.

But I’m old......and like old saws too.

Its 20% more power and 20% heavier... like I asked, does he really need that much power, thats all....

Think about all the rifle threads on this forum that go on and on about weight, where 1lb is a huge deal. There is over a 2lb difference in just the powerheads here.

If he’ll really utilize the difference, so be it... theres a reason they make them. My thought, anyone on a firearms forum asking about chainsaws, doesnt need it.... someone that needs it doesnt need to ask about a feature, and wouldnt be doing so on a firearm forum, they would be on a forestry forum. If you just want the HP, so be it to...

Im going squirrel hunting, i need a new rifle.... 300wsm or the new 6.5/300wby?

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Powerstroke with a carburetor off a 5.9 Cummins if you want real power.

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
I've run 362 Mtronic about 2 years. Really like it. Just bought a 261 Mtronic.

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
I bought an 021 for cleaning up branches and small jobs when I moved into my house 20 years ago. Its been dead reliable in that I always get a chance to work on it whenever I need to use it.

Originally Posted by Archerhunter

Quit giving in inch by inch then looking back to lament the mile behind ya and wonder how to preserve those few feet left in front of ya. They'll never stop until they're stopped. That's a fact.
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by simonkenton7
Originally Posted by RicG
I have a Stihl with the new carb. It starts fine and runs strong. No complaints after two years with it.

You mean the M-tronic carb, I take it.

Yes Sir. It has been fine.

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

533 members (1234, 10gaugemag, 10Glocks, 17CalFan, 10gaugeman, 160user, 43 invisible), 2,215 guests, and 1,176 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,643
Posts18,493,286
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.