-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Wife had a small one installed. I was not on board at all. It is saltwater. The extent of maintenance the last two years has been to dump a couple bags of salt in it every few months when the light for “low salt” comes on. We live in an oak forest. Leaves and the acorn “flowers???” That are falling right now are a pain. Double handfuls from the skimmer basket each day. Push the button to turn on the sweeper once a day. Not really a big deal at all. Kids ha e been swimming for a week here in Missouri. Tougher than I am.

GB1

40O Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Live just outside Phoenix. Sunday was the first time we've been in the pool this year. My four teenagers had a great time. First time sense the lockdown I've heard them all laugh like that. Worth every penny.

If you have kids, worth it. Not sure about without kids. For us the pool is a family thing.

Always wanted one of the machines that pump water directly at you so your essentially swimming in place. Quick Google brought up this:. https://www.endlessfitness.com/endless-pools-innovations/endless-pools-innovationsswim-machine/

Good luck

"What I was saying is if my kin folk 400 years ago had guns, we wouldn�t be having this conversation. I�m in favor of guns and encourage everyone I know to have them because the last time we didn�t have them we were abused.�
Rep.Mitchell.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
You can save a lot of money on pool chemicals if you
learn exactly what is in the stuff the pool store sells you.
None of it is magic moon dust. It's actually just industrial
chemical, packaged in small consumer units.

Several guys at work get together and buy the stuff, I know
some of it comes in 50# bags. 3 or 4 guys split it and
have enough to last a couple years.

Please don't just use this, my memory is bad, but I
think they use muriatic acid to lower ph.
And copper sulphate is one of the 50# bags, they get that
at the feed store.

I can't give the specifics, I didn't care enough to remember
exactly what the details are.

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by whistle1
Have bad back, and cannot excercise as I used to.
Thinking of a peanut shaped inground pool about 21 by 40 foot, gunite, waterfall 2 nice sitting areas, 3 1/2' at shallow end and 5' at deep end. It would have the saltwater type of system, and heated.

Any opinions, especially from those that have or have had back yard pools would be welcome.

Whistle,

Anybody that doesn't have a pool is a fugking loser.

It's $80 a month (practically free) to have the pool maintained. Saltwater pools are cheaper if you maintain the pool yourself. They are not cheaper if you have a pool service.

We live in a warm climate so have no use for a pool heater.

We swim every day. And I do mean, EVERY day.

After moving here I would never be without one.

Please disregard the sex toy.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
J
Campfire Kahuna
Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
J
If they dont open up the pool in town....we are gonna buy a trailer park style pool for the back yard.

Above ground pvc frame crapper.......is the plan.

I am MAGA.
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Just dig a lake Jim

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Pools are like boats for most people.

Phil

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
We put this in a couple years ago and couldn’t be happier. Heater is a must, salt water system makes it virtually maintenance free. After lots of research we landed on a Viking pool for there rugged durability and design. I’d definitely get an electric cover and do yourself a favor and forget about the rock feature/ waterfall. Too many down sides!

[Linked Image from ]
[Linked Image from ]
[Linked Image from ]

Last edited by Toddly; 05/02/20.
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by Greyghost
Pools are like boats for most people.

Phil

You can't afford either.

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
J
Campfire Kahuna
Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
J
Originally Posted by JeffA
Just dig a lake Jim

It'd have to rain once!

I am MAGA.
IC B3

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by whistle1
Have bad back, and cannot excercise as I used to.
Thinking of a peanut shaped inground pool about 21 by 40 foot, gunite, waterfall 2 nice sitting areas, 3 1/2' at shallow end and 5' at deep end. It would have the saltwater type of system, and heated.

Any opinions, especially from those that have or have had back yard pools would be welcome.

I had a big in-ground pool for about eight years... What a money-loving hole in the ground THAT was... Sold the place.. New owners got smart in a hurry - drained it, filled it in with gravel and made a patio out of it...

Up here - they're as valuable as an orange tree on Pluto.. Unless you live in AZ, TX, LA or similar, don't waste your ten grand/year on one.. FWIW.

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
My swimming pool is several miles long, requires zero maintenance cost, and when I'm done swimming I can toss in a baited hook and catch fish- - - - - -it's called a "creek"!
Jerry

Ignorance can be fixed. Stupid is forever!
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad
Originally Posted by JeffA
Just dig a lake Jim

It'd have to rain once!

Nothing a pond liner and some rerouted irrigation wouldn't fix. Hell stock it with trout even...

It could be another agricultural write off as a failed trout farming adventure.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Don't do it. First off you need to be a chemist to keep the ph right, at least in a fresh water pool. Mom and stepdad had one and it turned green when they went away over a long weekend. That was in the upper Midwest and it cost mom $100. in gas just to heat the thing up enough so that she could swim in it. Then there is the pool covering and uncovering and leaves and dirt happen. Then the pool cover gets rain and snow and holes and you go through filters trying to clean the water up. Without holes it gets heavy and the mosquitoes and frogs love the thing. Mom and stepdad got old and the pool was an eyesore. They moved on and I was the one who had to fork out 12K to dig the thing out because the neighbors complained and the city was on my ass. I couldn't have sold the place with that pos pool. When I was looking for a place, if it said pool, I quit reading. Better is just go swim in the local lake or friend's pool. Don't get your own.

I like the lake idea. Dad bought a natural 38' deep spring fed little lake up north in 1956 and I sold it in 2018 and lets just say that it appreciated nicely. A pool doesn't do that.

My other auto is a .45

The bitterness of poor quality is remembered long after the sweetness of low price has faded from memory
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
If you live in a cold climate and you get an automatic cover, when you close the pool for the Winter, you need to open the auto-cover and put a Winter cover on it. Heavy snowfall will rip the tracks out of the coping and destroy the cover.

If you have natural stone coping or pool deck, the salt in a salt water pool will eat the stone up over time and cause it to fall apart. Go with chlorine if this is the case.

Last edited by StoneCutter; 05/02/20.

"Government is not the solution to our problem, government is the problem."
Ronald Reagan
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by GregW
I paid good money to fill mine in...

Very common story.You have to bust them up around here.Use the pieces to help fill the hole.Lots of money being made to fill in pools.

Ideas are far more powerful than guns, We dont let our people have guns. Why should we let them have ideas. "Joseph Stalin"

He who has braved youths dizzy heat dreads not the frost of age.
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Originally Posted by jdm953
Originally Posted by GregW
I paid good money to fill mine in...

Very common story.You have to bust them up around here.Use the pieces to help fill the hole.Lots of money being made to fill in pools.

That’s what they did with mine.

E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
We enjoy ours and have had one in a number of homes. Our home is still headquarters for the boys and their friends. We pay $100 a month to have someone maintain it.

[Linked Image from hosting.photobucket.com]

Conduct is the best proof of character.
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Originally Posted by EdM
We enjoy ours and have had one in a number of homes. Our home is still headquarters for the boys and their friends. We pay $100 a month to have someone maintain it.

That’s a very nice pool Ed.

D
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
D
Son and DIL bought a house with a nice sized in ground. They have young kids and live in a very fertile neighborhood. Most weekends see 5-12 kids in the pool all afternoon. Neighbor parents watch and drink beer.
I’ve done some watching and beer drinking as well.
It’s great for the kids, but the ongoing cost, insurance, etc would keep me from ever having one.

NRA Patron
Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

528 members (222Sako, 270cowboy, 219 Wasp, 1Longbow, 1lessdog, 257 mag, 64 invisible), 3,190 guests, and 1,261 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,732
Posts18,535,122
Members74,041
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.