Print Thread
Hop To
Page 23 of 24 1 2 21 22 23 24
S
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
S
Mickey Mantle was a superstar and a great athlete. In about his second year with the Yankees, he was chasing a fly ball in the outfield and injured his leg. He never fully recovered. Had he not had this injury only God Knows what he would have done. Probably would have beaten Babe Ruth's record.
I can still remember, it was about 1959, my Dad was watching a baseball game on a little black and white set. The Yankees were playing.

Back then, there were only 2 baseball games on tv every week, only on a Saturday or Sunday. Hard to imagine compared to last year, when there were about 58 games a week to watch on DirecTv.
I was watching with my Dad and Mickey Mantle came up to bat. My Dad told me "He can hit right handed or left handed he is the greatest player in the game."
Then, Mickey hit a home run.

I have read stories of Mickey, he was a wild ass Oklahoma farm boy in the Big City, he partied seriously every night. All the girls wanted to bang him, and he turned very few down. All the bartenders gave him free drinks. I mean, he died of liver failure.
I have read stories where he came to the park so hung over he could barely walk. Manager put him in to pinch hit and he hit a home run.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by simonkenton7
Mickey Mantle was a superstar and a great athlete. In about his second year with the Yankees, he was chasing a fly ball in the outfield and injured his leg. He never fully recovered. Had he not had this injury only God Knows what he would have done. Probably would have beaten Babe Ruth's record.
I can still remember, it was about 1959, my Dad was watching a baseball game on a little black and white set. The Yankees were playing.

Back then, there were only 2 baseball games on tv every week, only on a Saturday or Sunday. Hard to imagine compared to last year, when there were about 58 games a week to watch on DirecTv.
I was watching with my Dad and Mickey Mantle came up to bat. My Dad told me "He can hit right handed or left handed he is the greatest player in the game."

I have read stories of Mickey, he was a wild ass Oklahoma farm boy in the Big City, he partied seriously every night. All the girls wanted to bang him, and he turned very few down. All the bartenders gave him free drinks. I mean, he died of liver failure.
I have read stories where he came to the park so hung over he could barely walk. Manager put him in to pinch hit and he hit a home run.

Imagine what he could have accomplished have not been an alcoholic.

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
S
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
S
Du hast Rechts! He was a total alcoholic and died of liver failure. At about age 60 he was in liver failure, what a surprise. "Somehow" he went to the top of the list and he got a liver transplant. Docs denied that he got favoritism.
Six months later he died of liver failure.

He had his Achilles heel but he lived a full life, I must admit.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I’m telling you BF!!

Well we're Green and we're Gold, and we play better when it's cold. All us Cheese heads have our favorite superstar. We love Brett Favre.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Am not saying that his social/ingestion habits did not diminish his performance - MM suffered from Osteomyelitis in one leg - maybe both. He was not an Oklahoma farm kid. He was from the lead mining area around Joplin, MO.

NRA Member - Life, Benefactor, Patron
IC B2

S
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
S
Originally Posted by CCCC
Am not saying that his social/ingestion habits did not diminish his performance - MM suffered from Osteomyelitis in one leg - maybe both. He was not an Oklahoma farm kid. He was from the lead mining area around Joplin, MO.

Mantle was born on October 20, 1931, in Spavinaw, Oklahoma, the son of Lovell (née Richardson) Mantle (1904–1995)[9] and Elven Charles "Mutt" Mantle. He was of at least partial English ancestry; his great-grandfather, George Mantle, left Brierley Hill, in England's Black Country, in 1848.[10]

When Mantle was four years old, his family moved to the nearby town of Commerce, Oklahoma, where his father worked in lead and zinc mines.[9] As a teenager, Mantle rooted for the St. Louis Cardinals.[13] In addition to his first love, baseball, Mantle was an all-around athlete at Commerce High School, playing basketball as well as football. He played halfback and Oklahoma offered him a football scholarship.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by duck911
Originally Posted by hatari

Herschel might be from that same planet. Not humanoid for sure.
Let's not forget Herschel was on the Olympic Bobsled team. He pushed the sled.

When I was a kid, Herschel Walker was signing autographs for a Fred Meyer's grand opening in Chico, Ca, from something like 2pm-4pm. I begged my mom to take me, and she did. We got there at 2PM, and the line of kids was around the store, probably twice.

I finally got to Walker around 5:30pm. I'm sure he was under no obligation to sign an autograph for *every* *last* *kid*. But he met me with a smile. I looked down and his had was swollen to hell, like a baseball was inside of it.

I still have the card, and always thought it was pretty cool he did that.

No idea if he's actually a good guy or not, but he made a fan that day.

Never heard anyone ever say anything negative about Herschel. Courteous, polite, humble are words many people I know that spent time around him use.

"The Democrat Party looks like Titanic survivors. Partying and celebrating one moment, and huddled in lifeboats freezing the next". Hatari 2017

"Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid." Han Solo
J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by RJY66
John Riggins. Baddest white running back ever.

Riggins gained more yards in his 30's than he did in his 20's

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by MadMooner

Being a Georgia boy, I gotta throw Herschel there.

But damn, I don’t think even HW could of caught Bo in their prime. Bo was definitely a one in a million kinda athlete.

The fitness he has carried into his older years is impressive. He and Trump are old buds as well!

“Life is life and fun is fun, but it's all so quiet when the goldfish die.”
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Mario Andretti

1969 Indy 500 winner

1978 Formula One World Champion

5 time USAC/CART Series Champion

Daytona 500 Winner

12 Hours of Sebring winner

IC B3

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by Whelenman
I had to read them all, and not one of you guys mention the all time greatest that would be

BRETT. FAVRE. Hands down when the going was tough he got the job done!

Yup!!

Its all right to be white!!
Stupidity left unattended will run rampant
Don't argue with stupid people, They will drag you down to their level and then win by experience
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Phil Robertson baseball,football

Its all right to be white!!
Stupidity left unattended will run rampant
Don't argue with stupid people, They will drag you down to their level and then win by experience
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by CCCC

Mantle was born on October 20, 1931, in Spavinaw, Oklahoma, the son of Lovell (née Richardson) Mantle (1904–1995)[9] and Elven Charles "Mutt" Mantle. He was of at least partial English ancestry; his great-grandfather, George Mantle, left Brierley Hill, in England's Black Country, in 1848.[10] When Mantle was four years old, his family moved to the nearby town of Commerce, Oklahoma, where his father worked in lead and zinc mines.[9] As a teenager, Mantle rooted for the St. Louis Cardinals.[13] In addition to his first love, baseball, Mantle was an all-around athlete at Commerce High School, playing basketball as well as football. He played halfback and Oklahoma offered him a football scholarship.
simonkenton7, thanks for this correction. I don't know the source for this but trust it and you for accuracy. I knew about the lead/zinc mining connection but, due to some source from the past, had the location about 30 miles away from Commerce over in SW Missouri.

NRA Member - Life, Benefactor, Patron
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by chlinstructor

Imagine what he could have accomplished have not been an alcoholic.

Yep, even with the bad leg....................

MM

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
Here’s a new one: Cotton Nash. Three time All American in Basketball at Kentucky. Got drafted in the second round by the Lakers and played a couple of years in the NBA. When done in the NBA, played several years in MLB, for the White Sox and Twins. His younger sister Francis was my age, and played basketball in my hometown of Leominster, MA. His Dad was one of my father’s patients.

Jesus saves, but Moses invests
G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Depends on what you mean by white, does both parents being half white count? The greatest I would say was Jim Thorpe but most would have or did considered a Native American. For me second would be Lou Gehrig.

Phil

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by Greyghost
Depends on what you mean by white, does both parents being half white count? The greatest I would say was Jim Thorpe but most would have or did considered a Native American. For me second would be Lou Gehrig.

Phil

As i have posted; using skin color is stupid. Half and half? One third vs two thirds. Ten percent?

Leo of the Land of Dyr

NRA FOR LIFE

I MISS SARAH

“In Trump We Trust.” Right????

SOMEBODY please tell TRH that Netanyahu NEVER said "Once we squeeze all we can out of the United States, it can dry up and blow away."

K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
Robin Reed. GOAT.

K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
Donn F. Draeger. 2nd Goat!

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna

Being a Georgia boy, I gotta throw Herschel there.

But damn, I don’t think even HW could of caught Bo in their prime. Bo was definitely a one in a million kinda athlete.

The fitness he has carried into his older years is impressive. He and Trump are old buds as well!

Trump used to own Herschel Walker! When he played for the NJ Generals. 😜

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Page 23 of 24 1 2 21 22 23 24

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

276 members (2500HD, 21, 12344mag, 10ring1, 1lessdog, 160user, 27 invisible), 1,768 guests, and 1,097 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,632
Posts18,492,998
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.