Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
J
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
J
Currently no one here in Barrow is stocking reloading supplies. I am wondering what my options are for getting my hands on some powder and primers.

In my research it looks like some retailers in the lower 48 will ship powder and primers up this way but it looks like 6 pounds of powder and some primers is going to incur $90 in hasmat fees and probably another $90 in shipping.

I'm wondering what the rest of you guys living off the road system do to get your powder and primers.

Jason

GB1

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Jason_Brown
Currently no one here in Barrow is stocking reloading supplies. I am wondering what my options are for getting my hands on some powder and primers.

In my research it looks like some retailers in the lower 48 will ship powder and primers up this way but it looks like 6 pounds of powder and some primers is going to incur $90 in hasmat fees and probably another $90 in shipping.

I'm wondering what the rest of you guys living off the road system do to get your powder and primers.

Jason

Bringing in a palette will cost a bit more, but not that much more... you can then be the reloading center for your friends and neighbors...

One enterprising technique I heard of involved filling empty shotgun hulls with powder and packing in commercial boxes and returning it to the jug at home...

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
Campfire Regular
Online Happy
Campfire Regular
I live in SW AK and Hazmat with air cargo is the only option for me. For example, Everts is a $35 Hazmat fee + freight cost per 7.5 kg box of powder/primers which is around $50 total cost for me. It must be properly packaged (4G box, plastic liner, etc.) and labeled, but that's not an issue. I usually ship two 8 pound kegs of powder and 5-10 bricks of primers each time I'm in Anchorage. There are a few places in the Anchorage/Fairbanks that will package and take it to air cargo for you, but I've not used them.

Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Suck bullets simply suck.

Campfire Oracle
Online Happy
Campfire Oracle
Group buy with friends?

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Alaska Ammo can deliver it to you.

IC B2

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by Sitka deer
[.
Bringing in a palette will cost a bit more, but not that much more... you can then be the reloading center for your friends and neighbors...

One enterprising technique I heard of involved filling empty shotgun hulls with powder and packing in commercial boxes and returning it to the jug at home...

I think that this is the best option. Be the guy.

Originally Posted by Archerhunter

Quit giving in inch by inch then looking back to lament the mile behind ya and wonder how to preserve those few feet left in front of ya. They'll never stop until they're stopped. That's a fact.
J
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
J
Originally Posted by AKPENDUDE

Thank you AKPENDUDE! I did an order this morning. They didn't have everything that I wanted in stock but they had more than enough. And their prices were very reasonable and they have the bush order thing all figured out.

I ordered 5 pounds of powder and a box of primers, The total cost was not much more than I would have paid if I was having powder and primers shipped from one of the reloading supply houses to an address in the lower 48. And I will get it by mid week!

And they have very friendly "old school" service. You call up and they are happy to help you instead of acting like your order is a too much of a PITA.

Last edited by Jason_Brown; 04/25/20.
A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Originally Posted by Jason_Brown
Originally Posted by AKPENDUDE

Thank you AKPENDUDE! I did an order this morning. They didn't have everything that I wanted in stock but they had more than enough. And their prices were very reasonable and they have the bush order thing all figured out.

I ordered 5 pounds of powder and a box of primers, The total cost was not much more than I would have paid if I was having powder and primers shipped from one of the reloading supply houses to an address in the lower 48. And I will get it by mid week!

And they have very friendly "old school" service. You call up and they are happy to help you instead of acting like your order is a too much of a PITA.

Glad you got some stuff, I was surprised nobody else had mentioned them, I use them all the time and I’ve never had an issue, they have always gone above and beyond for me, even coordination with their fairbanks location and sending stuff from fairbanks to anchorage in order to get me my complete order. In fact, I’ll be calling them in the next week or 2.

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Im glad you got service you are happy with.

If some of you will remember, there was a cat named Cody Brons who bragged on AR-15 .com about wearing different hats and buying tons of 22LR at walmart during the shortage. The same Cody Brons bragged on AOD and other forums about hiding powder and primers within clothes on the rack at Cabelas not long after it opened.

Cody Brons was selling Herters ammo out of his trailer in the Cabelas parking lot during the ammo shortage.... Herters is a Cabelas brand, you cannot buy it anywhere else.

He continued building his business by buying out the local supply, then selling it out of his trailer around the state.

His former website is 10mmBelow.com... he's been a scalper since Obama put his hat in the ring. If you are Ok with giving him your money, then more power to ya. Capitalism is great! except when it isn't (especially when douchbags brag about it online).

Cody Brons has now built his "business" into Alaska Ammo.

Intellectual honesty is the most important character trait in human beings.
L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L

Intellectual honesty is the most important character trait in human beings.
IC B3

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Damn... I got all excited that there was a new reloading/ammo supplier, and its that POS.

J
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
J
Me too! And the employee who put my order together was a helpful dude.

Oh well, bu the time that I burn through this first order I will have found a new supplier.

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
The wonky other way I’ve found to do it other than Alaska Ammo is to buy it yourself in town and drop it off at a place like NAC or everts and fill out the hazmat forms yourself. Not a big deal but if you aren’t in town then it’s Alaska Ammo.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

540 members (1minute, 1badf350, 270cowboy, 2500HD, 280Jeff, 60 invisible), 2,363 guests, and 1,320 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,170
Posts18,503,120
Members73,993
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.