Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
G
GOOCHY Offline OP
OP Offline
G
Just edited my post to looking for a quality 2 piece mount for above rifle. Dont want piccatinny rail or weaver slotted types. Was told I'm better getting a mount that puts the front ring slightly back for shorter scopes. Is this true? Who makes such a mount. TYIA

GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
It should be the same mount as the FN Mauser scope mount. Choose what you wish but I can't figure out a reason for a one piece mount.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by Ward
It should be the same mount as the FN Mauser scope mount. Choose what you wish but I can't figure out a reason for a one piece mount.

+1

Carry what you’re willing to fight with - Mackay Sagebrush

Perfect is the enemy of good enough
S
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
S

Absolutely destroys the use of a scope as a carry handle.

“When Tyranny becomes Law, Rebellion becomes Duty”

Colossians 3:17 (New King James Version)
"And whatever you do in word or deed, do all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through Him."
J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J

Straight alignment for stress free scope mount. I love one piece scope bases

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
IC B2

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by GOOCHY
I was hoping someone could help me. I just purchased the said rifle above and was wondering what 1 piece scope mount I could use if there is one. I haven't been able to find anything. Left messages with Leupold with no call back. TYIA

EGW make a one piece picatiny rail

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
One piece scope mounts can induce stress into the action if all the holes don’t line up or the surfaces mate perfectly together.

G
GOOCHY Offline OP
OP Offline
G
Ok guys, what 2 piece mount would you recommend. I'd like to stay away from the piccatinny and weaver slotted mount. TYIA

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
I've never used anything but a one piece mount, never had any issues introducing stress into an action.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
The "less potential for stress" argument for the one-piece mount makes perfect sense to me from an engineering perspective. That said, I have ten or twelve Mark X and FN Mausers and none of them have one piece bases. I am a big fan of the Leupold QR bases and rings and use them almost exclusively with every rifle I own for which they are made (which for me is M70's, Rem 7, Rem 722, and of course, FN Mauser). Exceptions with my large ring Mausers - two have Redfield two-piece bases, one has a Jeager side mount.
For the M70s, and Remingtons, Leupold makes (or made) one-piece QR bases and I use them on those. For the Mauser, they only make two-piece.
I love the QR bases because I can carry a light 6-8 ounce back-up scope in my hunting pack, already sighted in, in case a take a tumble and bust up my primary scope while out in the field. That's pretty cheap hunt insurance. I lean towards Leupold 4x or 2.5x Compact scopes for my backups (and sometimes for my PRIMARY as well). When I got my first set of QR bases/rings, I mounted them on my 35 Whelen AI and shot a group from the bench where I removed and replaced the scope between each shot. Five shots went into 1.25", and I was convinced they work.
Cheers,
Rex

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by shinbone
One piece scope mounts can induce stress into the action if all the holes don’t line up or the surfaces mate perfectly together.

And in the same situation, a two-piece mount puts the stress on the scope.

"Live like you'll die tomorrow, but manage your grass like you'll live forever."
-S. M. Stirling
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

A piece of 6061 aluminum is going to induce stress into a steel receiver?

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by Theo Gallus

Not when the rings are lapped, which is super easy to do.

W
WAM Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
W
I suppose in theory, that a one piece steel base mount could change stiffness of an action affecting accuracy one way or another. Possibly adding or removing a front sight could affect barrel harmonics. I have a new to me rifle coming next week with a one piece base and open Williams sights installed that I’m going to shoot as-is to check accuracy before I remove said mounts and sights for comparison. If something works well, don’t mess with it. I’m not a fan of one piece bases with blind magazine rifles. Happy Trails

Life Member NRA, RMEF, American Legion, MAGA. Not necessarily in that order.
J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by Theo Gallus

Not when the rings are lapped, which is super easy to do.

Can't be much misalignment if lapping will eliminate the stress

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J

Most of the truly accurate long range shooters use 1 piece picatiny.rails, they don't affect accuracy

K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
Lot of those one piece rails are bedded to the action also.

M
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
M
I put screw detachable Talley rings with the extended front base on my Zastava, which is the same thing, just enough room for a 2-7 Leupold, weather you need the extended base depends on scope tube length an eye relief, with mine all the way back it works, just.

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Not going with a cross slot base is going to limit your choices. Warne makes steel two piece bases with an extension front base that can be reversed but they are cross slot.

Last edited by Dave_in_WV; 05/07/20.

The Karma bus always has an empty seat when it comes around.- High Brass

There's battle lines being drawn
Nobody's right if everybody's wrong
J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by keith
Lot of those one piece rails are bedded to the action also.

Insures a proper mating of the surfaces. It's a good idea

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

417 members (10Glocks, 163bc, 12344mag, 1badf350, 160user, 17CalFan, 30 invisible), 2,237 guests, and 1,058 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,453
Posts18,529,007
Members74,033
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.