Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Remington 700's were a product of "modern manufacturing" made to sell for a price, receiver made from a piece of steel tubing, stamped recoil lug and bolt with a brazed on handle. Stock with polyurethane "bowling pin" finish and machine cut checkering. While a Remington 70 was my first bolt action CF rifle, it wasn't long before I discovered "The Rifleman's Rifle". Bought my first pre'64 Winchester M/70, a prewar .30-06 in 1975 and have owned nothing but ever since.

GB1

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Congratulations for your amazingly non-insightful opinionI

But I wonder why you didn't rant about the Remington 721/722, which evolved only slightly into the 700. They were almost as reviled by some (but not all) rifle guys back then as the Ruger American is today.

The big problem with the pre-'64 (and I have owned a bunch, including more than one right now) is that it generally wasn't as accurate out-of-the-box as the 721/722/700--and cost a lot more. And Ruger Americans generally shoot better than 721/722/700s.

But whatever. It's always interesting to read opinions from shooters who've only used one brand/era of rifle for decades. And apparently not many others before then either.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
John, I am a Model 70 at heart, but over the years the quality has been all over the place. Including the pre 64 guns. In fact the nicest finishes ones are the current production guns. And my expiereance mirrors yours on model 700's being more accurate. I would also add the BDL's are in general finished better than most vintage model 70's. I know this is apostasy to some, but the model 70's I have owned don't have tool marks galore and the 700's I have owned don't. Kind to think of it the several Ruger Americans I have owned don't have tool marks galore either and have shot lights out.

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Thanks for your comments.That has been my general experience as well.

I am more of a Mauser 98 fan for controlled-feed rifles, for various reasons most Model 70 fans have never heard of. But obviously 98s can vary in quality as well, including commercial models.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Great article, and good summation of Capitol Sports. I stop in nearly every time I hit the Capitol City, and have enjoyed that store for decades as well. Montana gun shops would make a great book, but many have folded, including one of my favorites, Ronan Sports and Western.

I try to find out the best local options as I travel around. Shedhorn Sports in Ennis has been a favorite for probably 25 years. I have learned a LOT growing up in these places.

Good stuff. Thanks!

“I am in love with Montana. For other states I have admiration, respect, recognition, even some affection, but with Montana it is love, and it’s difficult to analyze love when you’re in it.” John Steinbeck
IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
see the 2021 gun digest. nice 700 article.

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Yep, I remember Ronan S&W very well.

In fact, hunted opening day of the waterfowl season in that area probably 30 years ago, with a couple of buddies, putting some decoys in one of the pothole lakes. We got quite a few ducks from teal to mallards in the first half-hour--and then one of my buddies realized he hadn't bought a duck stamp! (He was the youngest in the group, and also hadn't hit many ducks--partly because his shotgun was a typical full-choked 12-gauge pumpgun.)

He drove into Ronan, and not only came back about an hour later with a duck stamp but a full-overall camo suit and a box of "extra-magnum" 12-gauge ammo--which he never hit anything with. But he did like his "shopping trip"!

John Steinbeck
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
When did the shop in Ronan close? I was just in there about a decade ago. blush

I can walk on water.......................but I do stagger a bit on alcohol.
W
WAM Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
John,
There was a gun shop I believe it was in Butte in an old log building. A dark and dusty place run by a somewhat disabled guy. Lots of old 99’s and various vintage firearms. Lots to browse there. I was on a cross country road trip 30 years ago and stumbled across this place. Unfortunately, no cash... Ring any bells? Happy Trails

Life Member NRA, RMEF, American Legion, MAGA. Not necessarily in that order.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Ronan S&W closed probably 3 to 5 years ago now...? Time sure flies.

The Fort in Big Timber is a fun stop, but it is a bit on the bright lights and clean linoleum end of the spectrum. There have been many mini affairs wth gun shops over the years. My now favorites have a lot to do with the management and ownership. Two in Hamilton, Trader Brothers south of Lolo, Axmen South, Bass's Gun Rack in Mssoulopolis.... the list goes on and on!

“I am in love with Montana. For other states I have admiration, respect, recognition, even some affection, but with Montana it is love, and it’s difficult to analyze love when you’re in it.” John Steinbeck
IC B3

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by WAM
John,
There was a gun shop I believe it was in Butte in an old log building. A dark and dusty place run by a somewhat disabled guy. Lots of old 99’s and various vintage firearms. Lots to browse there. I was on a cross country road trip 30 years ago and stumbled across this place. Unfortunately, no cash... Ring any bells? Happy Trails

That was "John's Log Cabin Guns" at the corner of Amherst and Howard. John died too young many years ago from MS or ALS or ? - can't remember which. He was a character with lots of tales. John cut the logs up in Elk Park and built the cabin himself. The building now houses a fly fishing shop.

Pursuit may be, it seems to me, perfect without possession.
Robert Kelley Weeks (1840-1876)
W
WAM Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Originally Posted by MT_DD_FAN
Originally Posted by WAM
John,

That was "John's Log Cabin Guns" at the corner of Amherst and Howard. John died too young many years ago from MS or ALS or ? - can't remember which. He was a character with lots of tales. John cut the logs up in Elk Park and built the cabin himself. The building now houses a fly fishing shop.

That was it, I believe. The guy did appear to have MS or something similar. Nice fellow. It was 1991 if I recall correctly. Neat place. Happy Trails

Life Member NRA, RMEF, American Legion, MAGA. Not necessarily in that order.
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

94 members (7mm_Loco, 300_savage, 2500HD, 1973cb450, 16 invisible), 1,650 guests, and 1,040 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,623
Posts18,474,053
Members73,941
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.