Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
Two major types of outdoor fence and deck wood preservatives which of course can be had tinted so as to do double duty as a stain: typically there's the water-based and then there's oil-based. My experience has been that the oil-based preservative-penetrants so much better with much less surface build. If you can still find it, Flood's Penetrol (or something similar) would do be my choice on the cedar and it would preserve the color well. BTW, no matter what the salesman tells you, plan on maintenance re-coats every two/three years. Oil-based penetrants work well in this regard, requiring very little surface prep prior to re-treating, compared to other-type finishes.

AKA The P-Man smile

If you cherish your memories with kids, be a good role model . . . . so the RIGHT memories of you mean something to them.
GB1

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Dalys Seafin Teak Oil.

Goes on easy, wipe off in 15 minutes wait 8-24 hrs and do it again, three coats or as many as you want.
No buildup and leaves a nice satin finish.

“Some ideas are so stupid that only intellectuals believe them.”
― G. Orwell

"Why can't men kill big game with the same cartridges women and kids use?"
_Eileen Clarke

"Unjust authority confers no obligation of obedience."
- Alexander Hamilton

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I played with some finishes on some red cedar and Alaska Yellow Cedar (Cypress) boat benches.

Daly’s spar was better than their ship n shore with sea fin over it. One is a built up surface finish, the other an oil finish that doesn’t build near as much. Th sea fin looks great but needed more touch ups and showed some mold after a year.

I even tried a couple coats of the spar with sea fin teak oil over it. Looked great but the spar is more durable.

“Life is life and fun is fun, but it's all so quiet when the goldfish die.”
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna

Paul

"I'd rather see a sermon than hear a sermon".... D.A.D.

Trump Won!, Sandmann Won!, Rittenhouse Won!, Suck it Liberal Fuuktards.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by K1500
Nothing stands up to the sun unless you strip and refinish every few years. Redwood weathers to a nice gray finish. I would leave it natural.

^^^^^^^^^^^

It will still look great for many years if you leave it natural. If you apply a coating it will look like crap the first year you don't feel like doing the maintenance

IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by MadMooner
I played with some finishes on some red cedar and Alaska Yellow Cedar (Cypress) boat benches.

Daly’s spar was better than their ship n shore with sea fin over it. One is a built up surface finish, the other an oil finish that doesn’t build near as much. Th sea fin looks great but needed more touch ups and showed some mold after a year.

I even tried a couple coats of the spar with sea fin teak oil over it. Looked great but the spar is more durable.

AK yellow cedar is a cypress, but if you buy cypress lumber from anywhere it will not be AK yellow cedar... Real cypress is very different from yellow cedar.

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
Campfire Savant
Online Content
Campfire Savant
Good looking crew!

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Whatever you choose, it should be expensive, difficult to find, difficult to use and made by Belgian monks, only in odd years, did I say, expensive, that counts a lot.

Imagine a corporate oligarchy so effective, so advanced and fine tuned that its citizens still call it a democracy.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

607 members (160user, 12344mag, 007FJ, 1337Fungi, 10gaugemag, 06hunter59, 75 invisible), 2,447 guests, and 1,225 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,772
Posts18,476,962
Members73,942
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.