Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Originally Posted by clockwork_7mm_gator
Without reduced loads it's a big jump for a kid. I watched someone let a 10-11 yr old shoot a 270 after only ever shooting a 22. The kid wasn't unusually sensitive, but it was a full power Corelokt and definitely did his best to fight back a tear or two. I think a big issue with smaller kids is that they can't hold a full sized stock in tight, so rather than a push, they get a hard jolt.

10-11 year olds also don't have as much muscle mass on their shoulders--which is a big reason more recoil can actually hurt, not just jolt them back.

MD hit the nail on the head regarding muscle mass. Spent 16 days in the hospital in March. Loss 30 pounds of muscle mass including shoulders / upper body. Checking zero on my favorite .243 and .270 last week from the bench. No issues with the . 243. However, for the first time ever, the .270 shooting factory Nosler 130 NAB's, "hurt". Sore bones for a several days.

Similar situation to the OP about 10 years ago with the oldest grand daughter. Picked up a Marlin XL7 in .270 for a reasonable price. Put it in a Boyd's laminated stock with LimbSaver recoil pad, and loaded up a couple boxes of 110 grain NAB's. She had zero issues with recoil, and killed three KY White Tails over the following three years without issue.

HR IC

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by 444Matt
In similar stocked rifles weighing within a few ounces of each other how much of a step up in felt recoil do you think there is in stepping up to 270 from 243? My 12year old son is 5’5” and about 125lbs. He’s been shooting a compact Ruger American in 243 with no recoil problems and I’m thinking of stepping him up to the 270 and rotating the 243 down to a younger son.

Worse case is I can let him shoot and see, hold off another year if it’s a bit too much for him. LOP wise I really think it’s time to step up to a normal size stock.

I think at this point I’m probably just trying to justify buying the Ruger American in 270 this summer...

That 270 would make a great christmas present Matt... Rather than get it in the summer. I got my first big game hunting rifle when I was 12 and it was a 30-06.. Unless his birthday is in the summer, I'd wait a bit longer and get it for him on X-mas... Also to answer your question, there is a night and day difference between the recoil of a 243 and a 270. I'm sure at 12 or 13, he should be able to handle it just fine though...

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Borrow a 270 first.. have him decide.

g

"I have sworn upon the altar of God, eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man."
Thomas Jefferson

GeoW, The "Unwoke" ...Let's go Brandon!

"A Well Regulated Militia" Life Member

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Does he shoot often??

A 12yo that size that knows how to hold a rifle can probably shoot a 270 just fine. I wouldn't let him do more than a few rounds each session...just because he's likely to get sore.

I was shooting a 308 when I was 12. But, my dad had me shooting for like 8 years before that. I was comfortable behind a gun and knew how to shoulder a rifle. Give a new shooter a gun that's too long for them and it's a recipe for disaster.

Everyone is different when it comes to recoil and a lot of it comes down to shouldering it properly and it not being excessively long for the shooter.

And as was said, you can download handloads or there's a pretty decent variety of reduced recoil loads these days. Big thing is the fit of the rifle though. His height, he is probably getting close enough to fill sized stocks. Just teach him to hold it right.

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Can't think of 1 good reason to go to a .270 except your ego, .243 will kill anything your son is likely to hunt for many years. Rio7

IC B2

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Matt. I'm not sure where in AL your at but I'm up near Huntsville and have a 7mm08, 308 and a 270 that your son is more than welcome to come put a few rounds through to see which he likes.
Send me a PM and we can work something out.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I'm not recoil sensitive, but I consider the 270 to have a pretty sharp recoil when shot off a bench.

Last edited by night_owl; 05/09/20.

abusus non tollit usum
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Sorry but I think a RAR 270 is a bad choice all around... both rifle and caliber.

Bigger isn't necessarily better.

The 270 is a capable round and a good choice for the hunter that travels, but in your neck of the woods it seems like a 243 is a better fit to the game, and the 270 adds nothing to that, except more weight, recoil and blast. The 243 might even be more effective on the game in your area.

I'd rather have a rifle in a caliber that would lend itself to a more enjoyable shooting experience over-all. I'd also want a non-throwaway rifle, easy to carry and fun to shoot...Lower recoil, less powder but still very potent...just like the 243... or 6.5 Creed. The Creed has better ballistics than the 270 with recoil closer to the 243...there's just one reason as to why it's so popular.

There's also the 6 Creed... an Improved 243 with a better twist for the newer heavier and better bullets...that's a step up as well.

I'd also want a non-throwaway rifle, easy to carry and fun to shoot. A SA lighter rifle in 6.5 Creed 7-08 or 308...a Montana would be great.

For full disclosure, I should mention that I had a compact 30-06 when I was 12 and shot it nearly every day and at the range on weekends with all kinds of loads I put together...from full power to cast loads, I shot through all my primers and brass every weekend...all wood and steel.

No recoil pad but I never gave much thought to recoil. Recoil was just something that happened when you pulled the trigger, it wasn't sharp or unpleasant...even off the bench...I actually liked it...like riding a roller coaster, it got the blood flowing.

All the best with whatever you choose.

"Supernatural divinities are the primitive's answer to why the sun goes down at night..."
W
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
W
I started three boys into deer hunting with a 270. All three were 12-13 years old and under 130 lbs.

Started them out the first year with Remington Reduced Recoil ammo. The second year, I slip a standard 130 gr core lokt into the mix at the range. Only 1 even picked up the difference.... All three are comfortable shooting up to 30-06 today and regularly shoot game out to 500 yds.

Don't overthink it is my advice.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by 444Matt
In similar stocked rifles weighing within a few ounces of each other how much of a step up in felt recoil do you think there is in stepping up to 270 from 243? My 12year old son is 5’5” and about 125lbs. He’s been shooting a compact Ruger American in 243 with no recoil problems and I’m thinking of stepping him up to the 270 and rotating the 243 down to a younger son.

Worse case is I can let him shoot and see, hold off another year if it’s a bit too much for him. LOP wise I really think it’s time to step up to a normal size stock.

I think at this point I’m probably just trying to justify buying the Ruger American in 270 this summer...

Let me stick my nose in. I got 2 sons into deer hunting. Maybe I can be of help.

First off, I don't hear what your son has to say in all this. What does he think? How does he like the 243 WIN? Have you discussed the 270WIN with him? Who is driving all this-- you or him?

My point is that if 12 really likes the 243, he may not take well to having it given to the younger kid. The younger son may not dig the idea of a a hand-me-down. It can get weird. You need to involve them in this decision. Most importantly, they need to be thinking about it with you.

Mine couldn't wait to shoot the 30-30 I'd designated for the family Yute rifle. However, once that cherry was popped, they wanted on a 30-06 asap. It just so happened, my sons are all rather large (hence the nicknames Moose and Angus). Moose was shooting the M1-Garand at 12. Angus shot his mom's 30-06 with a yute stock for several years.

If at all possible, I'd let 12 test out a few rifles. You may find that his recoil tastes are different from yours. #2 son shot a 30-06 when he was 10 and dreamed of it from then on. #3 shot a 30-30 and dreaded it for the next two years. Younger brother may surprise you and be ready for a 7mm-08 or a 270WIN or even a 308 WIN before 12 is ready to move up.

What really helped in all this was regular discussions with my sons on the subject. I'd ask them about what they wanted in a deer rifle long before they were even ready to actually hunt. There was a long period there where one of them just thought a semi-automatic was IT. I almost broke down and bought a Mini-30. Luckily, I asked again before pulling the trigger. By this time, he was into military bolt actions. I turned around and bought him a Mosin Nagant M44. He still loves it and still hunts with it on occasion. I used H4895 and got it down the recoil down to 30-30 levels.

[Linked Image from genesis9.angzva.com]

Last edited by shaman; 05/10/20.

Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries Lighthearted Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer
IC B3

E
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
E
444Matt,how about moving up to a .257 Roberts or .25/06 instead of a .270?

Last edited by elkhunternm; 05/10/20.

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC
Member New Mexico Shooting Sports Association

Take your responsibilities seriously, never yourself-Ken Howell

Proper bullet placement + sufficient penetration = quick, clean kill. Finn Aagard

Ken
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by OttoG
I don't see the benefit for the risk of giving him a flinch.

Originally Posted by lone wolf
Chuck Hawks Rifle Recoil Table243 win 7.5 lb rifle 100 gr bullet 8.8 ft. lbs recoil energy.270 win 8 lb rifle 130 gr bullet 16.5 ft. lbs recoil energy.
I bought my little girl a .243 when she was 9. It is a sub minute Savage 10. She has killed 22 deer with 22 shots. When she was a teenager our elder cousin gave her a .270 Ruger 77 that has double the recoil of the .243. She is 28 and gone from home now. She left me the .270 and took the .243. I think I would let the kid decide which rifle he wants after borrowing a .270 for him to try out.

Patriotism (and religion) is the last refuge of a scoundrel.

Jesus: "Take heed that no man deceive you."
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
I have 2, 700 BDL Remingtons. A 6mm and a 270.

I can tell you for sure the 270 has a good bit more recoil. Not obnoxious by any means but you can damn sure tell the difference.

The 6mm kills just as good with identical shot placement.

Don't know how well either kills with shots on the fringes of the vitals as I have not had that issue just yet.

If you want the 270 for yourself just buy it and let the kid try it. If it's too much then pick up another 243.

If you handload then get some 110 grain Barnes or find some 110 Sierra Prohunters and work up a reduced load. As he becomes more proficient then start bumping the charges up.

If you are set on him moving up then go 6.5 Creedmoor, not much recoil difference from the 243 with a little more bullet weight.

Last edited by 10gaugemag; 05/10/20.

The last time that bear ate a lawyer he had the runs for 33 days!
S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
In the realm of Child Development Psychology, there's a basic tenant to which most practitioners adhere, and that is; DO NOT give 'out of age category' toys to an under-aged child. Another way of saying it - only give age appropriate toys to children. This same idea applies in firearms, and I've preached it all my life. Here's the bullet points:

1. If you are going to teach a new shooter how to shoot a damn pistol, don't give them a 454 Casull and ask them to shoot a target thats 50 yards away.
2. Don't force a new shooter to START at the 25 yard line. They haven't even developed a basic 'muscle idea' as to how to hold that hunk of metal still, much less hit something.
3. Start new shooters at 5 yards from the target, and allow them to proceed at their own pace, with the consideration that no quarter is given in the safety department.
4. Teach gun sight use and implementation before you introduce a green laser that dances all over their target...and their neighbors target.

And 5, which is new; don't give a high powered rifle to a young exuberant youth that has no idea what he's up against, and, might develop that ever so hard to remove pre-recoil flinch that causes a lot of shooters to be only sub minute of down range, rather than a confident, experienced youth that has climbed the rungs on the ladder as he should have, and is now able to print beautiful cloverleafs and take game ethically.

Are there grown men that are exceptions to this? Sure, but I wouldn't proceed on statistical outliers as standards of proof.

Real father's are noble for attempting to do the good and right thing, but taking proper assessment of what SHOULD be done is not always an easy thing to do, as we are eager to see our young boys...be good men. A tempered hand here is what I advise. That 270 isn't really that far away. Let him get bigger and stronger. Let his frame develop a little more. Keep the canon at bay... LOL!

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Chuck Hawks Rifle Recoil Table

243 win 7.5 lb rifle 100 gr bullet 8.8 ft. lbs recoil energy.

270 win 8 lb rifle 130 gr bullet 16.5 ft. lbs recoil energy.

This answers your question, yes it is a significant jump. If he shoots the 243 good why mess with success? Buy another 243 for your other son and if somewhere down the road your son decides that he wants to move up to a larger caliber then let it be his decision. It is doubtful that he will be able to shoot the 270 as well as he does the 243 and unless you are hunting something a lot larger than deer what is the point in the larger caliber.
I have been shooting elk with a 243 since 1968, they all died with no problem - I used a 300 H&H or 30/06 prior to going to the 243 and the elk did not notice that I was shooting a smaller caliber. And, I guarantee you that I can shoot more accurately and place the bullets better with the 243 then I ever did with the larger caliber.

drover

223 Rem, my favorite cartridge - you can't argue with truckloads of dead PD's and gophers.

24hourcampfire.com - The site where there is a problem for every solution.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Another vote for letting him continue to use the 243.

Dre Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Id wait couple years to have him shoot 270.
No sense in making him recoil shy

All of them do something better than the 30-06, but none of them do everything as well.
M
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
M
444Matt, I would suggest you let him try it, and him make the decision! I’m by no means a “tough guy”! My first centerfire rifle that I bought, was a .308 Win, in a Win. Model 88.....with the “hard” plastic butt! I shot this rifle for quite a few years with no scope.....meaning it was a pretty light package. Not having anything to compare it to, and loving shooting/hunting......recoil was a non-issue. If he wants and loves to shoot, he will likely do well. Of course, if he is comfortable with the .270 Win......you may “never” get the opportunity to buy a”.6.5 Crudmaster”! smile memtb

Last edited by memtb; 05/10/20.

You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong." -Bob Hagel

“I’d like to be a good rifleman…..but, I prefer to be a good hunter”! memtb 2024
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Chuck Hawks Rifle Recoil Table

243 win 7.5 lb rifle 100 gr bullet 8.8 ft. lbs recoil energy.

270 win 8 lb rifle 130 gr bullet 16.5 ft. lbs recoil energy.

>> let the little guy continue with the 243,my son when small shot a 7mm-08 and i reduced the load some for him because i am a handloader. now my son is a 6 footer 190 lbs ripped from running and lifting weights and can handle anything now ,your son will too someday don`t push him.enjoy your son`s youth,Pete53

LIFE NRA , we vote Red up here, Norseman
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
I used a 6x47mm ( a 222 Mag case necked up to 6mm) in a long barrel to shoot exotics one spring. I was recovering from a neck fusion so it gave me an excuse to have a new rifle made up, ha. I shot the then available Barnes 85gr XBT to 2900fps ( easy 243 speed) and I killed 2 big Axis deer and a 500lb Scimitar Horned oryx. Tell him this , and let him keep his 243 for awhile longer! smile Just have fun with those boys, I envy you big time! I had twin girls. I taught them to shoot .22 rifle/handgun when they were 12. They weren't all that interested, but appreciated the training. Later in life, one twin became Liberal ( how I don't know!) anyhow. She did not want my grand daughter nor my grand son to "be around guns". So, I was never even allowed to take them to watch "me" plink in the desert. My other twin now has a 10yr girl and her Marine Daddy will teach her when its time, so theres hope I will get to shoot with her later on. I would rather of had the experience with them that you have now with your boys...cherish it! smile (and get a .270 for yourself! ha)

Last edited by Jim_Knight; 05/10/20.
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

534 members (12344mag, 10gaugemag, 17CalFan, 1936M71, 16penny, 1234, 57 invisible), 2,264 guests, and 1,315 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,391
Posts18,488,706
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.