-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
Medium Trapper, Sodbuster Jr., or Medium Stockman. From Case or Buck.

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
need a pair of dingo boots with a pouch for the barlow.

God bless Texas-----------------------
Old 300
I will remain what i am until the day I die- A HUNTER......Sitting Bull
Its not how you pick the booger..
but where you put it !!
Roger V Hunter
P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
Case makes some nice locking blades with plastic handles, USA made too. Get 1/2 doz because it will get lost.

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J

[Linked Image from allaboutpocketknives.com]

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
In my opinion this is an excellent knife. Have had one for decades. Light and easily carried in the pocket or on the belt in the leather sheath that comes with it.

https://www.buckknives.com/product/501-squire-knife/0501RWS-B/

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
My first knife wa a cheap barlow. Easy to dull but easy to sharpen. After a bit I got knives of better steel including the ubiquitous Boy Scout knife. Once Dad figured that I would take care of a better knife I suppose. It wasn't the knife so much as that Dad thought I could be trusted with one.

The key elements in human thinking are not numbers but labels of fuzzy sets. -- L. Zadeh

Which explains a lot.
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by JonS
Youngest turned 7 5/1 and in practicing lighting fires the last few days, she has said she wants a knife.
What's your favorite, would like a locking, single blade, pocket clip that's removable as they're not comfortable to use but fun to hang somewhere or store in a pocket.

Thinking gerber lst or mini spyderco of some sort. I will keep it when not in use, so hope not to have it lost in the next little while.

Thanks
Jon

In your position i would settle on a Spyderco with a flat ground blade...you may as well get her something that will last and be useful.

These are my opinions, feel free to disagree.
DBT Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
My first knife was a Joseph Rogers. I think I was around 8 to 10 yo.

Campfire Savant
Online Content
Campfire Savant
A Case knife

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Aggiehunter03
My first was Swiss Army. Used the hell out of that thing.

Agree

IC B3

O
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
O
Two thoughts:

1) Simple, single bladed folder, no lock.
2) Something inexpensive enough that no one is going to be upset if it gets lost.

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
I started carrying a boy scout knife @ 8. Of course, within 6 months I'd cut myself with it.

Ditto for #2 son and #3 son. They got simple Victorinox Swiss Army Knives

1) The standard Swiss Army Knife is wickedly hard to sharpen. It also has a lot of stuff on it that a kid won't use at first.

2) That Ka-Bar that Joken2 showed is about ideal for a first knife as far as I'm concerned.

3) If the kid is going to hunt something like deer, I'd also get him a Ka-Bar 4062 Folding Hunter for gutting and tell him to keep it in his deer kit.

4) A kid will lose a knife that isn't attached to him. Another reason I liked my boy scout knife and all my other EDC knives is that they had an attachment point (shackle or whatever) so I could put them on a lanyard that went on my belt and stayed on if the knife fell out of my pocket. I kept it the same knife all the way through to adulthood. I've never lost an EDC knife as a result.

Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries Lighthearted Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Originally Posted by fishnpbr
In my opinion this is an excellent knife. Have had one for decades. Light and easily carried in the pocket or on the belt in the leather sheath that comes with it.

https://www.buckknives.com/product/501-squire-knife/0501RWS-B/

That was my first knife and I still have it! Dad bought it for me 45 years ago. Its on its third blade. Its an excellent knife for a kid or anyone.

Another option for the OP could be an Ontario Rat 2. I've heard for years that they are perhaps the best "budget knife" and can be had for around 30 dollars give or take. They are more "modern" in that they have a liner lock, one hand opening, and pocket clip which you can remove.

https://www.amazon.com/s?k=Ontario+rat+2&ref=nb_sb_noss

"Men must be governed by God or they will be ruled by tyrants". --- William Penn

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by JonS
Youngest turned 7 5/1 and in practicing lighting fires the last few days, she has said she wants a knife.
What's your favorite, would like a locking, single blade, pocket clip that's removable as they're not comfortable to use but fun to hang somewhere or store in a pocket.

Thinking gerber lst or mini spyderco of some sort. I will keep it when not in use, so hope not to have it lost in the next little while.

Thanks
Jon

Jon
Is it her first knife ?

If she is responsible ? Sounds like it . I'd get her a pink Dozier for 20 bucks . You can't go wrong with those . Perfect size ,lightweight , take & hold a decent edge . Soft enough to get sharp easily and also good to learn on for actually sharpening If she loses it .no biggie on price tag

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
I like the idea of a basic Swiss Army knife. Kids like different gadgets on the knife. A Barlow is also a very usualful knife that can start a life long knife user.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Just be careful with the Swiss Army knives, the last two I had were super sharp.

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
My dad used to get me the little black plastic handled Gerber lock backs. I say lock backs as in plural because I must have lost the first 6-8 pocketknives I ever had. I think I had a couple Imperial slip joints in that timeframe too, the black plastic handled ones. Never recall cutting myself but I sure could lose any little trinket I made a habit of carrying around.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I'm a big fan of the Opinel kids line of knives for a first one. The blunt tip keeps them from accidentally running one into their hand and the locking mechanism is secure and very easy to operate.

https://www.opinel-usa.com/collections/opinel-kids-corner

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
This.....get him a Victorinox Huntsman.

Scissors, wood saw, corkscrew, big and little blades.....all sorts of tools for a youngster to explore.

Get a sheath....... makes them feel more adult in the wilderness. Not school, though.

Cheap like-new used knives on eBay. Not end of the world if lost.

Originally Posted by Aggiehunter03
My first was Swiss Army. Used the hell out of that thing.

"Those that think they know everything are annoying those of us that have Google." - Dr. D. Edward Wilkinson

Note to self: Never ask an old Fogey how he is doing today.
Revised note to self: Keep it short when someone asks how I am doing.

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Orion2000
Two thoughts:

1) Simple, single bladed folder, no lock.
2) Something inexpensive enough that no one is going to be upset if it gets lost.

Barlow.

Barlow has been a great first knife for 150 years.

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

590 members (160user, 1234, 16penny, 10gaugeman, 1936M71, 17Hunter, 74 invisible), 2,057 guests, and 1,144 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,829
Posts18,496,629
Members73,979
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.