Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J

Tract Toric is as good as it gets and you'll save money. I have Nightforce, S&B, Zeis and US Optics and the Toric us as good as any I own.

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
GB1

Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
Jwp I said I didn’t not want to break the bank yet alone the stock market! Lol so what about objective should I go with a 40/44mm or a 50mm? Especially if I go with a 3-9.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Are you a long range hunter who uses a range finder and dials in windage and elevation?

Are you a "set it and leave it" hunter who doesn't dial in windage and elevation?

What type of hunting do you do? Mountain hunting where every ounce counts for something or beanfield hunting from a stand where weight is pretty much a non-issue?

Do you hunt at dawn/dusk or are a more casual 9-5 hunter?

Lots of variable in the decision making hierarchy.

Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
All the above but more of a set it and leave it. I do all different types of hunting... Mountain, corn field, plains, etc... Dark to Dark....

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by Weissman4
Jwp I said I didn’t not want to break the bank yet alone the stock market! Lol so what about objective should I go with a 40/44mm or a 50mm? Especially if I go with a 3-9.

Get a Tract Toric 2X10X42 and it'll set you back $694 you couldn't get better for 3 times the money

Last edited by jwp475; 05/12/20.

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
If i was looking....

3.5-10x44 conquest

$360.

No ties to the seller.

Dave

�The man who complains about the way the ball bounces is likely to be the one who dropped it.� Lou Holtz

J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
I second the Meopta scopes, but it would be hard to pass up some of those deals gr8fuldoug posted

Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
What about the vortex crossfire or a Nikon prostaff? Then I can get Kenton industries to build me some turrets for my round.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
What about the vortex crossfire or a Nikon Prostaff? Then I can get Kenton industries to build me some turrets for my round.

Weissman4, welcome to the forum. I'm going to politely respond to this question before the regular vultures and a-holes show up and challenge your intellect and manliness for no reason other than when people seek information by asking question, some of our members like to show how smart and tough they are by providing less than helpful yet snotty and snide responses. It will happen. Just wade through it and take the advice provided by the more helpful members and then research the information they provide to gain both information and confirmation.

Neither of those two scopes is known for having the interior mechanics that would allow them to affectively utilize a custom turret. There have been several good recommendations already made. Of those recommendations already made, most of them would serve you better with a custom turret than would either the Crossfire or the Prostaff. If you really think you might want to get into utilizing turrets and/or a "ballistic type" reticle. You can do so for less than $250 with an SWFA SS fixed power scope. They are generally accepted to be THE scope to use for that purpose and they compete very favorably with the high end scopes costing 4-10 times as much.

Someone above suggested you "talk to Doug" without telling you who he is. Maybe you know, maybe you don't. He is gr8fuldoug who responded above. He would be a good resource for you to call or private message for insight on various available options and will provide you information with the best available deals he has. By the way, when you enter a thread here you are wearing a meat suit and walking in to a lion's den. It's just a fact of life here anymore. Ignore the a-holes and discern from the other posters who you think are knowledgeable, friendly and helpful and seek their advice and info via pm. There are many here who are willing to be informative, helpful and friendly. Good luck with your quest.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
Big sky thanks for the honest input. I appreciate your guidance. I know how forums can get at times. Typical chemical reaction of testosterone! Lmao I will try to get with Doug and consume some more knowledge.

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I’d be looking find another 2.5x16x42 6500 bushnell elite. 30 mm tube but not a big ass scope with the 42mm objective plus they are 13.5” long. Perfect hunting scope short range or long.

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Can you still get the special turrets for those Leupolds? If money was no option I would have bought a Blaser and put a Zeiss or swavorsky. So what’s the benefit of going with the smaller zoom? I know that the smaller zoom scopes are simpler and Easier to use, but will a still be able to get a good shot on a muley or elk at 500 yards?

I wear out a 4" gong at 300 yards with 6x. How big is an elk again? grin

Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
🤙

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
swavorsky.

Sorry, this was as far as I could make it....... cry.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
There are so many choices now it is really an opportunity to be happy thankful every time you hunt or kind of miffed about your poor selection. I’m not a big fan of China these days so will thy to avoid their products.

In the last several months I’ve purchased a Zeiss V4 6-24x50 & cousin bought the V6 for longer range hunting & targets and both are excellent. Son in law is a Nightforce guy & great rifle shot on game at longer ranges he used my V4 on his 300 Wby to neck shoot a Cow elk at 180 yards & wanted to buy it from me.

Bought a $160 Burris 3-9 FF2 for a 300 Win Browning and it is fine for a basic scope but doesn’t impress with glass.

Future son in law bought the Leupold 3.5-10x40 windplex this month & it is very nice glass includes the CDS less than $400. To me it is very similar to my Meopro in the same magnification range with the Leupold glass feel that you mentioned you like. My old eyes would prefer 50 mm & more magnification at 500 but it isn’t necessary.

I’m a big Zeiss Conquest fan & would probably pony up $650 for the V4 3-12x44 demo at Redhawk Rifles for an Elk rifle in 300 Win.

Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
I feel like the new Burris Four X are really nice scopes.

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
I've got a 3-9x40 Burris FF-II on mine. Seems nice enough. Haven't hunted with that one, stuck on my 8mm with the 4x.

Mauser Rescue Society
Founder, President, and Chairman

I don't always shoot Mausers, but when I do...I prefer VZ-24s.

jdi do píči
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

468 members (12344mag, 280Ackleyrized, 222Sako, 1beaver_shooter, 2500HD, 46 invisible), 1,668 guests, and 1,231 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,047
Posts18,521,183
Members74,023
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.