Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Castle_Rock
Originally Posted by Daverageguy
By no means am I fast like Lena Miculek or Eric Grauffell fast never joined the military so I'm no black death beret seal combat ranger. When I went to gunschool at John Shaw's outside Memphis fast wasn't fast but smooth was fast. Took me a day to "get it" but I got it. And yes smooth is faster than fast is fast. Don't be fast be smooth.

Jesus Christ, what a mouthful, did it mean anything šŸ¤”

Fƻck if I know?....I had to read this 3 times.

šŸ˜Ž

Curiosity Killed the Cat & The Prairie Dog
ā€œMolon Labeā€
GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Daverageguy
By no means am I fast like Lena Miculek or Eric Grauffell fast never joined the military so I'm no black death beret seal combat ranger. When I went to gunschool at John Shaw's outside Memphis fast wasn't fast but smooth was fast. Took me a day to "get it" but I got it. And yes smooth is faster than fast is fast. Don't be fast be smooth.

If I had known a guy could qualify to be in a "black death beret seal combat ranger" unit...I would have signed up!

Do they give you a patch? Badge? Or just a carry card??

Don't ask me about my military service or heroic acts...most of it is untrue.

Pronoun: Yes, SIR !
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Originally Posted by TWR
Shoot as fast as you can line up the sights, a quick miss will not equal a fast time.

Yep! You canā€™t miss fast enough to win.

He who joyfully marches in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would suffice.

- Albert Einstein
T
TWR Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
It sounds like an overused cliche but the faster I try to go in a match, the more it costs me.

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Where is them videos? We needs them videos. Without them videos it don't not exist.
Show them videos. Bullets be danged.

I AM THE GOOD FRIEND OF RENEGADE50.
HE MENTORS ME.
HE PUNISHES ME WHEN I AM WRONG.
HE CALLS ME OUT WHEN I AM LYING.
HE CARES GREATLY ABOUT ME.

IC B2

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
It's such a secret unit it doesn't exist.

Bangflop! another skinning job due to .260 and proper shot placement.
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by JefeMojado
Ive shot many a match with this guy over the years, trust me on this, this short video contains all you need to know for learning how to shoot , slow or fast.
https://youtu.be/li0rGtXh23I

i inherited a holster used by that guy, from a friend who actually took him once or twice at a shoot.
i have to kind of snicker, as i once shot a ccw class with no front sight on my p220, it had fallen off.

THE BIRTH PLACE OF GERONIMO
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
If you used that same B21 target that Jorge1 used you can get away with no front sight.

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by MOGC
Here is one of my favorite drills...

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ggWV06GKmWU

I'm curious, honestly how many of you guys can shoot this drill clean?

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
Accuracy is always job 1. Being fast and accurate should be every shooters goal. You have to go fast to get fast and only a shot timer will show you the way. If you are training for life outside of competition only count A zone hits. Personally I only go as fast as I can always keep every round inside of 6" out to 25 yards. I am not a natural or a great athlete but have learned from experts and never settled for 'good enough'. Dryfire is your friend. The standards 'flave posted will keep it real for you.

mike r

Don't wish it were easier
Wish you were better

Stab them in the taint, you can't put a tourniquet on that.
Craig Douglas ECQC
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by EthanEdwards
I'd say Bluedreaux is absolutely wrong in that you need to be able to at least safely engage the target before worrying about speed.

Well, Bluedreaux never said that. And the OP didn't either. Nobody is talking about prioritizing speed over safety but you.

Originally Posted by SBTCO
your flippant remarks which you so adeptly sling
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Jim in Idaho
But someone, perhaps Bluedreaux*, commented that one should learn to shoot fast first, then learn to shoot good.

* if it wasn't you then apologies for a CRS moment...

It wasn't me. No apologies necessary.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

I can with 4" circles, I don't have that target.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by doubletap

Yep! You canā€™t miss fast enough to win.

That depends on what you're "winning" and what you consider a miss.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Do you want to know who says "Slow is smooth and Smooth is fast"?

Slow people. Slow people who want you to be slow with them.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Bluedreaux

I can with 4" circles, I don't have that target.

Excellent, thanks for answering. I run the drill consistently in about 18-20 seconds, but I shoot it clean with no penalty seconds for misses... usually.

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
All I can add is spend the moneyGunsite/Thunder ranch and hopefully you'll understand.

Bangflop! another skinning job due to .260 and proper shot placement.
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
My vote is to master the basics of presentation and marksmanship, then build speed. If you get in the habit of seeing a proper sight picture upon presenting the pistol, you will look for at least a flash sight picture when you're rushed or under pressure. This relates to any situation where the pistol is raised into the line of sight. For very close work I taught 3-5 shot bursts from a low retention position, before getting the gun up for more precise shooting as needed or other threats at intermediate distance. This with movement of course to get the officer off the line of attack.

Last edited by SargeMO; 05/15/20.

Direct Impingement is the Fart Joke of military rifle operating systems. ā“’
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by 79S
Originally Posted by deflave
My answer is that it depends.

And you have to understand that not all national level champions in USPSA agree on the proper teachings of marksmanship.

Add to that, there are a number of handgun disciplines out there. And I can fugking promise you, that not all of those national level champions agree on the proper teachings of marksmanship.

But I will say this, if you want to shoot fast(er) you need a timer. And you need a stack of USPSA targets. And you need lots of ammo.

But this is worthles if you do not use standardized drills so you can realistically gauge where your skill level is at. One thing all national level champions will agree on, is a good time vs a schitty time, on a standardized drill.

http://pistol-training.com/drills

And if you can compete, you should be. In my opinion there is no substitute for it.

Deflave I took your advice, minus trip to the hospital Iā€™m getting better

Deflave would have been loading it with the wrong ammo, so there's that too...

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Jim in Idaho
There was a thread a while back about learning to shoot good and fast - i.e. learn good habits with slow speed practice, learn to shoot good, then learn to shoot fast. But someone, perhaps Bluedreaux*, commented that one should learn to shoot fast first, then learn to shoot good.

I've been practicing mostly the getting good on Wednesday mornings, acquiring the sights and sight picture, feeling for the trigger reset, etc. Speed is middle of the road, five shots in a hair over 2 seconds. Occasionally I'll try really fast but it's always been on the same bullseye.

Tried fast and good this morning on a large five bullseye target similar to the one below, about 35x23", going around the outside to the middle clockwise and counterclockwise, randomly, whatever, five shots as fast and accurately as I could. It's a definite step up in my personal training and after trying a couple of techniques I settled on one that seemed to work. I can keep all five rounds in the red part at "sorta pretty fast" speed but going into warp drive really strains the good habits.

Anyway, what say you guys? Get good and then work on fast, or get fast and then work on getting really good (aka accurate)?

P.S. A Glock 34 or a S&W M&P 5" barrel definitely contribute to both goals - fast without losing good.

[Linked Image from images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com]

* if it wasn't you then apologies for a CRS moment...

I highlighted the most important thing that you noticed. When you went into "warp drive" it "really strains the good habits". I think those of us that have shot a lot and fast, we have all noticed that. What that tells me is you need more practice with the fundamentals of marksmanship and keeping that sight picture and maintaining proper form and trigger control. It is so easy to get sloppy or lazy when shooting fast. When you see that happening, more slow fire accuracy practice is needed. You will never get good and fast, if you aren't "good" to begin with... Keep practicing keeping your shots into a small target, while working on increasing speed. You can do this at 5 yards. When you are shooting a ragged hole at 5 yards, increase your distance. Practice double taps first, if you must. If you can't keep both shots clustered in tight to one another, then you know you won't be able to keep more shots close and on target... I'm not a pistol shooter, per se. I much prefer rifles, but I also plan on tearing up the competition tomorrow when we shoot our bowling pin match... Head to head and fast and accurate is what I like.. Keep it safe...

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

678 members (01Foreman400, 160user, 16gage, 12344mag, 10ring1, 16penny, 64 invisible), 3,031 guests, and 1,319 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,618
Posts18,492,662
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.