Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
J
Jericho Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
J
I saw one of these today in 308 very nice looking rifle. Looked brand new and the price wasnt bad in my opinion $599. I figure this gun was made in the 60s or 70s. At first glance I thought it was an FN Supreme Sporter.
Any of you guys own one? Input is welcome, Regards, Jericho.

GB1

W
WTF Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Which model was it ?

J
Jericho Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
J
Not sure, didnt see a model number on it anywhere. It was a Mauser sporter action not a 98 action if that helps any?

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Had one. East European Mauser, not FN Belgium. They shoot good, lot of gun for the buck.

DF

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
I think most of them are built on santa barbara (Spain) actions.

IC B2

z1r Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer
Had one. East European Mauser, not FN Belgium. They shoot good, lot of gun for the buck.

DF

Nope, Patbrennan is right, the Commercial receivers were supplied by Santa Barbara of Spain. Unless of course it is marked "Hussar", in which case the action was supplied by Brno.

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by z1r
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer

DF

Nope, Patbrennan is right, the Commercial receivers were supplied by Santa Barbara of Spain. Unless of course it is marked "Hussar", in which case the action was supplied by Brno.

Thanks for that correction.

DF

J
Jericho Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
J
Thanks guys, so 60s or 70s production is correct?

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Parker Hales in general are pretty modestly priced up here, lots for approx. $400 or a bit more.

E
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
E
I like mine in .25/06.

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC
Member New Mexico Shooting Sports Association

Take your responsibilities seriously, never yourself-Ken Howell

Proper bullet placement + sufficient penetration = quick, clean kill. Finn Aagard

Ken
IC B3

z1r Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I like mine too but unless it is a Hussar, $599 is too much for a factory original PH. That is, unless you really like it.

W
WTF Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
They put their name on one that had a cast receiver. A 98 type receiver with an 03 Springfield bolt. A real morphadite.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Here's mine in .308 Norma Magnum. I restocked it because the original stock was so gaudy it made a Weatherby look conservative.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
I ended up with one out of an estate sale, got it right. I refinished the stock, re-cut the skip-a-line checkering. It was a bit gaudy, but had a really nice piece of walnut with rosewood tip and grip cap.

It was a 300 WM, not that heavy, kicked like a mule.

It ended up with an atty who's a State Senator. He's a big ole boy, probably tougher than I am, doubt he'd complain even if it kicked him hard.

It shot pretty well. I'd much rather shoot my M-70 NH .375 H&H with full house loads than shoot that thing. Glad he has it, not me.

DF

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
I have 10 of those receiver castings. Some use Mauser bolts, others use 03's. They need some finish machining and heat treating, but it's fairly simple to make a functioning rifle from one. I had to make up a few holding jigs to make them fit my lathe and mill. Sarco was selling them for about $30.00 each as "paperweights" at one time- - - -no serial number- - - - -"some machining required". They're considerably less than "80% finished"!
Jerry

Ignorance can be fixed. Stupid is forever!
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Jericho
I saw one of these today in 308 very nice looking rifle. Looked brand new and the price wasnt bad in my opinion $599. I figure this gun was made in the 60s or 70s. At first glance I thought it was an FN Supreme Sporter.

Jericho;
Top of the morning to you sir, I hope the day's looks to be a good one in your part of the world and this finds you well.

As I'm on the north side of the medicine line, we had lots and lots of Parker Hale arms available to use and work on. If memory serves they were a little less than a comparable Remington 700 or Winchester 70 back in the day - roughly on par with a Savage 110 for cost - again this is from faulty memory.

Over the years I've likely played with at least a couple dozen Parker Hale rifles which passed through my shop, as well as having two Parker Hale barrels installed on rifles I'd put together. Most, if not all of them that I've played with were the Santa Barbara actions.

Neither of the rifles I did were fantastic shooters, but were certainly not terrible. One has since been rebarreled again, the other is a Liberty Model 77 which is now a .308 Norma.

Interestingly the only Parker Hale that I recall not feeding properly was one chambered in .308. It'd gouge the case badly as it went into the chamber, a combination of the feed rails being a tad off and the chamber mouth not chamfered at all.

They're okay for what they are, but personally up here that'd be more than a Parker Hale would be worth by about $100 Cdn I'd think. Honestly we can still find the much better built and functioning Husqvarna rifles for $450-$550 Cdn which absolutely would be my choice above a Parker Hale offering.

Anyway sir, I hope that's useful to you or someone else out there.

All the best to you sir. Stay well.

Dwayne

The most important stuff in life isn't "stuff"

z1r Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by BC30cal
Originally Posted by Jericho

Jericho;
Top of the morning to you sir, I hope the day's looks to be a good one in your part of the world and this finds you well.

As I'm on the north side of the medicine line, we had lots and lots of Parker Hale arms available to use and work on. If memory serves they were a little less than a comparable Remington 700 or Winchester 70 back in the day - roughly on par with a Savage 110 for cost - again this is from faulty memory.

Over the years I've likely played with at least a couple dozen Parker Hale rifles which passed through my shop, as well as having two Parker Hale barrels installed on rifles I'd put together. Most, if not all of them that I've played with were the Santa Barbara actions.

Neither of the rifles I did were fantastic shooters, but were certainly not terrible. One has since been rebarreled again, the other is a Liberty Model 77 which is now a .308 Norma.

Interestingly the only Parker Hale that I recall not feeding properly was one chambered in .308. It'd gouge the case badly as it went into the chamber, a combination of the feed rails being a tad off and the chamber mouth not chamfered at all.

They're okay for what they are, but personally up here that'd be more than a Parker Hale would be worth by about $100 Cdn I'd think. Honestly we can still find the much better built and functioning Husqvarna rifles for $450-$550 Cdn which absolutely would be my choice above a Parker Hale offering.

Anyway sir, I hope that's useful to you or someone else out there.

All the best to you sir. Stay well.

Dwayne

Ironically, I have a PH in .243 that feeds like poop through a goose. Contrast this to a couple of FN Commercials I had in .243 neither of which would feed and ended up being rebarreled to something that would.

FWIW, I wouldn't have passed up a PH in 6,5x55.

My son's 6.5x55 is built on a PH (Santa Barbara) action its a real deer dispatcher!

Yes, I too would prefer a Husqvarna but if the price is right, I'll snag a PH whether built on the Santa Barbara action or Milsurp.

R
RNF Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
I have one in 25-06 it is a model 1200 Super. I purchased it new in 1979 for $212 out the door. It has held up well and I have killed lots of whitetail with it. It will shoot Nosler 115 BT or Speer 120 Hotcores well
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

A gun in the hand is worth more than the entire police force on the phone.
J
Jericho Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
J
Just came back from looking at the rifle again and its stamped PRECISION SPORTS on the barrel and BP in small letters on the receiver ring below the serial number. Serial number is R-XXXX and it has a hollow bolt handle. The stock looks more American design than European, it has a schnabel fore end and the cheek piece isnt really pronounced, no white spacers or black fore end cap either.

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Those are nice rifles. They are sorta gaudy, but generally come with good wood.

DF

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

293 members (222ND, 160user, 10Glocks, 10ring1, 12344mag, 1eyedmule, 25 invisible), 1,813 guests, and 1,087 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,391
Posts18,469,828
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.